SC Engines

john melia 1

Why do SC engines not throttle very well , I have a new sc52 and a new sc60 plus a sc 46 and a sc 91 and another sc52 presently installed in my spacewalker , the throttle response is pretty hesitant from idle to full throttle.

Is this a problem with sc engines in general (it certainly seems to be) I use no-8 plugs , has anyone got an sc that throttles well and doesnt seem to bog down ?

I've read a few reviews where this does seem to be a problem with these engines , any tips greatly appreciated

Advert

sounds like they are all running a shade rich on the low speed needle John, they all seem to come from the factory that way. All mine throttle fine, though the (ASP) 1.20s are a bit finicky - SC, ASP and Magnums are all identical bar the cast name on the side. OS-F plugs help.

ps 'all' - 52, 65, 70, 90s and 1.20s.

Two SC's...........91 and 52...........Both in 3D planes, Panic and Twist 40 respectively, where they get thrown around violently all the time and a reliable full throttle range is essential. The Panic with 91 needs a reliable super low idle or it won't land!!!

They throttle perfectly well, do not need exotic throttle curves to get good linear action and have excellent and reliable low speed idles. They were run in as per the manual but anyway worked well straight away. I use 10% Contest, OS8, though if I have run out they have had 20% Heli fuel and run just the same.

I find they need less open needles than my OS, Enya, TT and Irvine engines, around a turn and a half to a turn and threequarters on the main needle. I have never touched any other setting.

I have been using SC engines for years. never have any trouble setting them up. That includes everything from .12s to .91 four strokes.

Just a case of setting the high end a tiny fraction richer than peak and then very careful adjustment of the slow running until you get that smooth pickup ffrom idle.

And I use they old Taylor long reach strandard plugs, cheap and reliable but sadly no longer made. I aslo use Fox plugs as an alternative now.

I use ASPs & find then most excellent.....it can take a while to get them dialled in just so but once set I rarely touch the settings at all....not even the main needle......I even have rust on some of them....wink 2

Are you using the same fuel?? Chopping & changing fuel types is a recipe for unreliabiity as each fuel type will need tiny changes to the settings.....pretty much all fuels will work & work well in SCs....find one that you can obtain easily....spend some time setting the engine up.....then leave it alone & enjoy your flying.

Just some other quick thoughts/watch points.....make sure all the casing screws are tight (backplate, head, carb etc) & also that you have no exhaust leaks (use a manifold gasket)....any such leaks will cause problems at low speed....

• 1 month later...

Hi i am a new member and would like help please, I have a new sc .52 two stroke in a t77e that is near completion and i am desperate to find out what nitro mix to use for run in and what glow plug to use, after run in do i still use same mix and plug any help would be a great help as i have only ran nitro trucks before. many thanks morri8

I've just run in an sc 52 in my delta , I just used an old plug just incase the engine wore of bits of metal on the initial run up , ran it on my normal fuel 12% nitro , started off very rich , ran for 5 or 6 mins , stopped , let it cool , ran again increased throttle a bit for another 5 to 6 mins , shut off let cool, then again slightly leaner for 45 to 6mins , I continued to do this for a couple of tanks (8oz) replaced plug for a new one no8 , then keeping slightly rich maidened the delta .actually its an asp 52 but its a sc rebadged . must say this ones running great , with good throttle response .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. SC and ASP engines are set up to run on low nitro fuel so if you are buying specially get some 5% nitro with a decent oil content. I use Optifuel which is fine. Model Technics Irvine Sport or Supaglo would be fine also and there are quite a few others. If you happen to have some 10 or 12% kicking about, that would do too. I'd just make sure the oil content was kept up above 15% minimum.

Plugs can be OS no8, Enya No3 or Firepower F6 or any other long reach, hottish plug.

The engine won't need an awful lot of running in and you can use the same fuel and plug afterwards.

HTH, John.