help to identify/info on this engine

Shaun Marshall

Advert

It is a boat engine, but a racing engine, hence the exhaust at the rear. 1.8 doesn't sound like an engine size I recognise as I am sure Webra used to use American sizes like everyone else on its glow engines. Maybe it's the gear ratio which is 1.8 : 1. It certainly looks bigger than a 1.8cc would be, even with a watercooled head. One thing is for sure and that is that it will certainly be collectable. Maybe try contacting the Model Boat Mayham forum. I'm sure someone on there will be able to help.

If you decide to build a boat, I have lots of plans.

kevinb.

Certainly looks like a water cooling jacket......the gearbox would allow it to be mounted with the crankshaft facing forwards with the gearbox driving a conventioal inboard propshaft & would make starting much easier.....looks like a pulley is mounted on the crankshaft for a starter belt!!

As John sez Webra certainly used to be a well respected engine maker.....I thought they were Austrian though...

I must admit, Steve, I did have a nagging doubt when I typed "German"! (But if it says "Made in Germany"....)

And I was right to doubt. A quick search finds that "WEBRA Modellmotoren GmbH & Co. KG in A-2551 Enzesfeld, Eichengasse 9 - AUSTRIA" went into bankruptcy just under 3 years ago.

The other clue, which I've only just looked at, is on the only Webra engine that I posess - on the side it says "Made in AUSTRIA"! It's a Webra 32 heli engine, which suggests that Kevin is probably right about Webra using the 'American' size notation, so the Webra 18 would be about 3c.c. and not 1.8 as I'd previously thought.

But heck , we all agree it's a boat engine! cheeky

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Might be a bit late as I've only just stumbled across this post whilst searching for something else on Webra Engines.

The engine is a Webra 1.8 cc (0.109843 cu.ins, or rounded off - 0.11 cu.ins) It was better known as the Webra Speed .11 and is indeed a Marine engine.

It is also a very quick Marine engine. It's design allowed for easy starting by putting your starter on the airplane type spinner on the front and attached your main propshaft to the short rearward shaft on the bottom via a coupling.

I had one myself a few years ago and when I put it up for sale, it was snapped up very quickly.

If you still have it, try it in a boat, you will be very impressed with it's performance.

Regards

Mark