Music while I work - but on what?

Spikey

I work at the kitchen table, and unless The Lady Wife's also in the kitchen, I like to listen to a bit of music while I work. We have a DAB wireless on which I can play MP3s via a USB stick, but it's a bit of a bore finding particular tracks. It's also a pain having to have the wireless on the table so I can change stations/volume/tracks without forever getting up to do so.

We'd like to get more organised regarding our music and the playing thereof, but we're pretty much clueless about the options nowadays. Given the following requirements, would anybody care to suggest what we ought to be considering?

1. This is for one room only

2. All our music is MP3 files

3. We don't need any great volume, but decent sound quality we do need

4. Available space for the box of tricks is limited to an area no more than 18" x 12" on top of a cupboard

5. Remote control would be good, as would a display showing track playing. I can't see it being feasible, but the ability to play Spotify (or something similar?) would be nice too.

Any ideas please chaps?

Advert

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 06/12/2013 18:19:10:

How about an Apple iPod with a speaker dock? This is exactly what they are designed for.

That's one possibility that hadn't occurred to me, but I wouldn't be able to skip tracks or change volume from across the room, would I?

Can you load mp3 files straight into an iPod from a PC?

You use Apple iTunes software to load the songs onto the iPod. You can make custom playlists of your favourite songs etc and the iPod syncs to the PC when you plug it in. Many of the speaker docks come with a remote control with the usual volume, next track, next album etc options.

That is also a good idea David!

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 06/12/2013 18:32:18

I've got a Sony bluetooth speaker, it plays music very well from my mobile phone (Blackberry Q10) and playbook and android tablet and PC etc etc, any bluetooth phone should work. You can then select tracks and skip tracks on your mobile to your hearts content.

Works really well and I can also use it to listen to online music if I like.

A word of warning about I Tunes

i) If any of your songs are WMAs then I tunes will make a MP3 copy, sometimes this is very poorly done and the sound quality is rubbish. If they are MP3's you are OK

ii) If you use I Tunes and an I Pod it ttires to manage the tracks so that only one device can be linked to I Tunes at anyone time, can be very frustrating if you have multiple devices. It's not like Windows media player where you just drop and drag.

Hi Spikey,

We have what you need it's a Sony ipod/iphone N50 Dream Machine. Clock radio with an ipod/iphone dock and remote remote control. Measures about 12 inches by 5 inches and 8 inches high. 2 reasonable size speakers, good sound. Cost here in NZ about NZ $110.00. Must be something the same or similar in the UK.

There is an app on Google play called music manager....you upload all your mp3s & then you can access them via any web connected device. The app will allow you to create playlists & play any track you like....

All my music now lives on line & I can access it from anywhere in the world....to listen to music in the house I fire up the tablet....plug it into my amp..start up the app & off we go......if the amp was a bit newer I could do away with the jackplug & use a bluetooth connection....

I've gone off Spotify recently.

For a start there's all the adverts - I say "all" the adverts, there are only a very small number of different ads, so you keep hearing the same ones over and over again and they are somewhat intrusive suddenly popping-up between tracks in what you're listening to.

Then they limited the number of times you could listen to a particular track - as mentioned by Steve. But most recently they seem to have dropped that limitiation and now limit you to the number of hours a week (or month?) you listen. Of course I could pay them some money - which is clearly what they're trying to get people to do...

I now use Google Music to listen to stuff that I "own" - you upload all your MP3s and they match them against their database and let you listen online from anywhere to what you already have. Of course for stuff I don't own then I'd need to go back to Spotify.

Edited By John Privett on 07/12/2013 11:17:44

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 07/12/2013 10:06:07:

Spotify is certainly good but you can only play tracks a number of times (I think its 5) unless you subscribe which is £10 a month I think....thinking

Its £5 for laptop/desktop use and £10 a month for laptop/desktop/tablet/phone/etc use. If you're on one of the 4G plans on Vodafone you get it included too.

£10 a month is like the cost of an album a month.

£5 a month is not far off the cost of a monthly issue of RCM&E from the newsagents... wink

Posted by John Privett on 07/12/2013 11:16:55:

For a start there's all the adverts - I say "all" the adverts, there are only a very small number of different ads, so you keep hearing the same ones over and over again and they are somewhat intrusive suddenly popping-up between tracks in what you're listening to.

Then they limited the number of times you could listen to a particular track - as mentioned by Steve. But most recently they seem to have dropped that limitiation and now limit you to the number of hours a week (or month?) you listen. Of course I could pay them some money - which is clearly what they're trying to get people to do...

I now use Google Music to listen to stuff that I "own" - you upload all your MP3s and they match them against their database and let you listen online from anywhere to what you already have. Of course for stuff I don't own then I'd need to go back to Spotify.

Edited By John Privett on 07/12/2013 11:17:44

That time limit has been there for a couple of years now. You tend to only get the warning when you get near the end.

Its annoying, especially with the ads - however it is free! For a long time Spotify was making a loss (and I think still is), so they had to be more aggressive to try and turn a profit.

The other alternative is that you can often find tracks free on Youtube...

Well ... we ended up with an iPod Classic and a Bose SoundDock, with which we're generally well pleased. I just need to get to grips with Playlists ('cos they seem to be the key to having tailor-made music-while-you-work) and also check out this here Genius thingy.

Hi-fi it obviously isn't, but we're very happy with the quality/convenience trade-off, so thanks once again for your help

Spikey

Along with the idea of an IPod or iPad instead of a dicing station you can purchase Apple Airport Express which is a module that will allow you to play your music stored on a device such as an IPod or iPad through a music centre of docking station....you can connect wirelessly which means that you can select your songs/playlists etc from wherever the IPOd or iPad is. Alternatively buy an Apple TV module connect it to your TV and do the same thing through your TV...

if this doesn't make sense go along to your local Apple store and they will be able to help you.

We use this system to play all our music which is stored on an IPad mini through a B&O music centre and its great!

Jon

Posted by Jon Laughton on 12/12/2013 16:02:30:

Alternatively buy an Apple TV module connect it to your TV and do the same thing through your TV...

if this doesn't make sense go along to your local Apple store and they will be able to help you

Gosh, Jon, we haven't had a television set since 1981, and as for going along to our local Apple store, that's a 15 minute walk then a 50 minute bus ride away.

Besides, do they actually let pensioners in Apple stores?

Posted by Simon Chambers on 07/12/2013 20:49:00:
Posted by John Privett on 07/12/2013 11:16:55:

<snip>

That time limit has been there for a couple of years now. You tend to only get the warning when you get near the end.

Well it seems, according to this report at least, that the 10-hour limit is being removed. Also the free product will become accessible from mobile devices.