A scale EDF Concorde...... in Depron!

This really is a follow on from my 'scale inlets' Depron EDF Fairey Delta 2, an EDF Concorde with scale inlets and exhaust.

My idea is mount two 40mm EDFs right at the back of the inboard engines and then scale the rest of the airframe around it. It comes out at 36" span and 90" long.

A 40mm EDF can just about manage 6oz thrust on a 3s so to stand much chance of flying this 7ft 6in long Concorde will have to weigh no more than 20oz!smile o

And just to add to the challenge it will also have a true scale wing, or as near as I can make it.

The first task is to prepare a 3 view with all the unwanted surface detail removed to act as a plan.

simple3v.jpg

For transport 27" of the nose (and probably the tail cone as well) will be removable.

The more i look at it the more I wonder if this will be a "Depron" step to far!

Can you stretch to 50mm units? It will be a slight increase in build size but may get you a slightly bigger envelope for power/weight ratio?

There are some gorgeous Concorde's being built over in RCG if you haven't seen them **LINK**

I'm grabbing a bag of popcorn and pulling a chair up for this build, good luck Simon yes

This bird is on my "possible" build list.............

Depron Daz

To go to 50mm would mean an increase of 25% in overall dimensions and I am already concerned at the rigidity of that pencil thin 90" fuselage in Depron!

If I can achieve my target weight I should (or is that hope!) it will have a reasonable performance with 40mm EDFs.

If they do generate 6oz thrust each it will give a thrust to weight ratio of 0.6:1 and my EDF Fairey Delta 2 flies pretty well on slightly less than that.

The nose section plan printed out to size. The joint will be at the red line

Nose plan

The first of the formers.

Fuselage formers

This will be a 'minimum' type construction with no keel or internal support, just formers and skin.

The full set of formers weigh just 1/10 oz (3gm)!

The skin complete on the half shell and the other side formers added.

Nose skin half shell

Although the shell is quite strong it is still pretty flexible in torsion so the remaining planks will have to added carefully to avoid building in a twist.

The half shell weighs 0.64oz so on target for sub 2oz when complete.

I built a small test rig (out of Depron of course!) to measure the thrust of the 40mm fan.

Thrust Rig

The fan delivers 5.2oz on a 2S drawing 13A which is close to its continuous rating of 14A.

A short 2 second burst on a 3S showed 8oz drawing 22A but the motor burnt out in the process! sad

So 2S it has to be. This will give a bit less total thrust than I had anticipated but hopefully the lighter battery will compensate for it. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 12/12/2013 22:52:04

Keith

The FD2 with a long but inlet twice the FSA lost about 15% static thrust.

The Concorde inlet duct will be proportionally shorter and with both inlets feeding one fan the losses should be slightly lower. I could live with 4.5oz per fan.

The nose section has come out 25% lighter than I had anticipated.

Nose views

It is eerily light to hold but nevertheless strong and rigid.

Using its weight (1.5oz) as a guide I can 'guestimate' the bare airframe at 9oz. This could mean a flying weight of less than 18oz with an 1500mAh 30C 2s.

With a wing loading of under 6oz/sqft it should still fly even with only 9oz thrust.

Martian

The basic former shape for the majority of the fuselage comes from the head on view.

simple3v.jpg

The rest of the nose formers are 'extrapolated' from this basic section to give the required height and width shown in the top and side views, taking into account the cockpit windows and ending in a circular section at the radome. The same sort of thing will be required for the tail.

I would not claim it is accurate to a fraction of a mm but I bet it was in principle the same sort of process that created the original fuselage shape! wink 2

Martian

With a more complex shape you have no choice but to have sufficient cross sections although you can extrapolate between them.

One reason I built my Cessna O-2 was I found a 3 view with 8 fuselage cross sections. It would have impossible without.

Keith

I prefer photos if possible (models can be surprisingly inaccurate) and of course Concorde was very well photographed!

Its underside is quite interesting.

Underside

This is a preproduction version with the short tail section.