Recycled Newbie

vic Clare

Hi Guys!

I started modelling in 1983, went through a couple of precedent Hiboys learning how to "prop up the low wing" and moved on to the ubiquitous Wot 4 and others. I kept all my old kit in the loft, "like you do" when other priorities like daughters discovering boys and then getting married  took over.

After a break of ten- fifteen years with little or no stick time i'm coming back to the hobby and have ventured up into the loft  and dusted off a few  old OS four strokes and more than a few odd Enya and irvine engines, plus numerous kits still in their box.es

Anyone remember Digifleet kit , from Fleet Control Systems? ( some used to call it Dodgi' fleet ), but my experience was always good.Sanwa Conquest and Futaba Gold..Those were the days.no computer sets  then.

i'm sure I've forgotten more than I knew ( if you know what i mean) and  the hobby appears to have moved on so quickly, unfortunately in common with my own 'C of G' which has now moved South and a glass back which was never there in my earlier days.

Looking at my old flight box there's no way I can now bend up and down to flick a prop and refuel the tank. Can anyone guide me please? Are there any plans for a field table that would allow me to carry out the usual refuelling and starting procedures, or indeed is theresomething commercially available that works well?

Retirement beckons and I'm itching to get back to it lads.!......summers coming.

Any advice/ideas or guidance would be gratefully received.

All the best,

VC

Advert

Hi VC and welcome back...they all do eventually

First piece of advice is DONT sell any of your engines like I did when I returned to the hobby. Thinking that I would not likely join a club again, and therefore only fly in my local park, I saw myself as electric only from now on...however some models still just suit a nice slimer 4T, and having sold off some real gems on fleabay to fund the return to the sport, boy do I regret it.

A nice laser 90 went to some geezer in Oz for 55 quid !! about 10 OS four strokes, several Rossis, and a few other lasers also went.

I would suggest that its time to treat yourself to some new radio gear, and by the sounds of things leccy flight might be your best bet regards bending and lifting etc. The mag did a review a couple back on the field table thingy ( great mate or summat I think it was called....bit pricey for my budget I have to say...but looked a decent bit of kit, if you could lift it !!

Try a browse through some of the beginners sections and electric flight sections. Cheap and cheerful electric stuff is EVERYWHERE these days...and could be a good intro back into the sport. Have fun fly safe.

Vc  I must warn you that the moderator is slightly biased towards electrikkery!  He got to me & now I'm paying the price

Grumpy Myron here    Welcome  back  ( yes  I loved my Fleet gear too & its still in France with my EX -She says she cant send it cos of bomb scare stories - Funny that being as they can transport Lipos from the far east )

Hi All.

I have to admit to having bought an Early Bird (elec glider) plus battery packs and charger about 3 years ago but they're all still in the box. .........................i'm still trying to figure out;

"Watt Mr Ohm has to do with model flying".(sorry!)

Elec. is a different world and I need to study up me thinks!

Certainly hear what you say about hanging on to my old engines. On one of my more recent trips to the loft I found a box of OS two stroke engines an OS Max 40 plus a 40FSR,  and a couple of 25 FSR and 10FSR.in surprisingly good condition which when 'spun do 'plop' quite well still.

I'm grateful for your input . I'm in that enjoyable position of not knowing what to start first..................Or should I finish of those abandoned builds that are hanging on the workshop wall covered in dust.

Oh the joys!...................................Really enjoying my journey back

Many thanks

VC