Flair Fokker DVII

Advert

Both the engine and feed are kits that you assemble. The engine is just the top half as shown. I did get documentation and scaled drawings for the Mercedes, and I was planning on building it. I paid $129 for the pair and I know it's steep. I figured it was justified with my time constraints. I'm kind of busy with Granddaughter, work, RC and astronomy clubs.

I've been working on this plane for over a year and I want to get it finished.

Look at the bright side. I can give you guys all the dimensions and parts lists. wink

Also bought some robart steel pin hinge points (307 small size) as I am converted to these having used the larger version previously on my Stearman. Looking to probably 'shield' the hinge line with rounded off elevator leading edge, rather than butt jointing to tailplane. Think it will give more scale appearance if I can do it with recessed 0.4mm ply capping.

Another mad idea Im considering is to build the upper wing support struts from streamlined section brass tubing (which I can solder the 3 struts together at their upper forward joint). I know it may sound heavy but the struts appear to be only 9 inches long and the supplied piano wire method with 2 thicknesses of crimped brass tubing at each end cant be much lighter...... can it????

Probably buy a couple of lengths and weigh both methods.

The coaming looks fine. If you wanted wider diameter to the padding, i have seen fuel tubing or black rubber tubing (which is slit lengthwise with knife) used. simply glue it on. if you covered it in your suede (tucked into the slot before sliding it over the balsa) it would look superb and be perfectly round section.....But yours looks great as is!

I tried the fuel tubing and it looked to large. I ended up using solid styrene plastic rod. I clamped one end to one side of the cockpit and slowly worked it around, heating it with my covering iron. I then removed it and added the suede to the styrene. Like I said, I learning. This is my third stick build.

Unfortunately Stevo is totally to blame for my thoughts of enhancing the scale appearance with simple add ons after I downloaded lots of details he sent me!wink

I even have an idea for the simple brass handles that hold the forward 'aluminium' cheek panels in place .....based on the hand rail stantions I use for my brass steam locomotives. Will experiment tomorrow!!

Looks great. Where did you get the decals of the stag made?? I was looking at the (ablatros werks version) Fokker DVII which is available as plastic kit (1/32 scale) from Wingnut Wings which matches the cheek panels of the FLAIR kit. The plastic kit has your scheme as one of its chosen finishes!