E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

Time for me to pass on, what I think is a money saving tip. Try this CA and actuator from the Magnet outlets(kitchens and bedrooms etc) just bought another today, only a £5 The CA is thick. Self sealing cap. Gotta be a deal.

Any one know how to stop my images re orienting them selves when posted? Apologies for making you stand on your heads! When I upload to my album, all do a 90 degree flip.

Mitre ca.jpgn

image.jpg

My fuse is about finished. Just trying to work out a suitable front batter hatch fixing/latch. Thinking of magnets, which I have, but not sure what to use for the magnet to attract to. I need washers without holes in them, but they seem to be quite rare around here! Thought Obitury using the plastic cross from a servo, having cut 3 of the arms away, fixing it through the body with nut and bolt, and rotating the remaining arm to open or closed position. What do you think?

Cheers to all,Glyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

Just an update. I Have been a bit lax due to the cold, but have been working on my wings slowly. I have made many mistakes which took time to rectify, often included many a profanity! They were all my fault so I have indeed learnt an awful lot. I have broken ribs whilst sanding, a managed to put a wing joiner in inverted, which had to be dug out and a new rib cut and fitted. Some of my joints did not present an even surface after glueing etc. etc. I did manage to put wash out in the tips, but it seems to have mostly disappeared whilst just sitting on the bench top. I'm hoping to get it back when I cover.

The only thing I have not worked out is how to fix the front of the battery compartment cover. The rear end is fitted under an overlap of wood, but the front, which is under stress due to the bend that the contour requires needs holding in place somehow. Magnets, a catch I don't know. What did you guys do?

Anyway I have enjoyed building, keen to have another go at something (suggestions welcome ) thanks for all your help, been great. I'm going to India on 12th for 3 weeks holiday. So want to finish the wings by then, not much to do.

Do you cover each of the four parts of the wing individually and then join, or join on the tips and then cover?

Ok thanks for now,

Glyn.

Hi Glyn...

Join the tips to the centre panels and THEN cover.

For my battery hatch I made a small latch mechanism from 2 short pieces of brass tube , a piece of bent piano wire and a small spring pinched from the Wife's biro pen.. pichler-canopy-catch.jpg

A bit like the one above. That one is a shop bought item ( Sussex model centre) But I'm sure that you can see how easy it would to make a very similar catch. Just face the outside of the hatch with thin ply to protect the balsa from wear.. I think you can just see the catch external view in these two pics..

dsc_1025 small.jpg

dsc_1026 small.jpg

Thankyou Andy,

Got the idea, scatting round garage to see what I can find. I presume an extra piece of wood, not balsa, is glues across the fuse with a suitable hole drilled, for the spring loaded spigot to locate in.

Shall glue my wing tips on this weekend.

Cheers appreciated,

Glyn.

HI ( again) Glyn.. I have done a couple of quick photos of my catch to show you how I made it, I used ply for this one rather than brass tube so...just 3 small bits of ply ( plus another on he other face of the hatch for wear protection) 1 piece of piano wire and the spring

wp_20150207_001.jpg

wp_20150207_002.jpg

The 'free' end of the wire goes into a little piece of metal tubing let into the bulkhead , the tubing is again to prevent wear to the ply bulkhead..

Edited By Andy G. on 07/02/2015 15:31:51

Right that's very clear now. I'm sure I can create something now. I will put a pic up when done. It solves a problem I had if using magnets. I thought that a mag catch would need some sort of finger grip to pull the cover off which might look out of place on top of the fuse!

Thankyou Andy.

A bit time consuming to make. You can buy that sort of catch quite cheaply from GiantShark or several similar plastic or brass versions from SLEC who also do this type.

There is some merit in having the catch at the back of the hatch not the front. Your fingers are further away from the prop which is of course 'live' when you operate the hatch catch and also the front won't lift with the draught if the catch fails ( more important with magnets than spring catches)

The cheapest and quickest version of hatch retention is of course the humble rubber band...............once you have lost a hatch in flight (innevitably never to be seen again!) together with the expensive or time consuming catch then the rubber band option may appeal more!

Edited By kc on 09/02/2015 11:48:53

Not THAT time consuming or tricky to make really, a little bit of ply, piano wire and cyano, done and fitted long before the postman brings a shop bought one!.. LOL. On the catch location, you're absolutely right, ALWAYS at the rear end of the hatch for safety and security reasons. You can see from the pics in the post before that's where my home made one is fitted.... nerd.

Andy..

Looking forward to an update wink

Last week finished my 4e RedEagle and am now halveway through me 5e RedEagle.

Think that will be the last one for now and hope to see comming summer all the club build RedEagle's.

Hope Iam correct it should be about 12 modellen which will make a great competition.

Cheers

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 18/02/2015 21:33:00

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan, I have found the best way to use the servo's to the control services, are using golden rod controls, these are flexible so you have to put cross pieces along the fuss, but they are complete with the clevises and all fittings,

There are two sizes blue which are for more demanding controls, then there are red ones which are thinner I have found these to be quite strong enough for glider flying, I hope this is helpful for you to decide, there is no need for z bends as you can connect at both ends with no problems, also it is far easier to adjust the length,

Mike.