E-Glider new design called RedEagle

Ton van Munsteren

• 2 months later...
Advert

Hello Red Eagle builders,

I have received my kit from RBCkits and I have a few questions. This is my first build in 25 years and I'm looking for something more relaxing to fly than my helicopters.

The washout on the plan appears to be 10mm under the tip trailing edge, can that be right? looking at the wing root on the fuselage side view there looks to be only about 2mm incidence. That would give negative incidence at the tips. I see that the aileron wing was built without washout and I was thinking 2-3mm would be more appropriate.

Any recommendations for clevises as these are not included in the kit? Both for servo and control horn connection.

Many thanks

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your post and great that you selected the RedEagle for some relax flying.

The 10mm washout is for making the model turn better, but its not a big difference, because RedEagle's without the washout will also turn just fine. You don't have to build the washout in the wing you can also make the washout during the covering of the wing.

For clevises on the RedEagle or for models in general, check here **LINK** they all work just fine. For me I use a 90 degrees bend on one end and on the other end a metal clevis with a solder when the controls are neutral. After the maiden hold the rudder and elevator in the flight position, heath the clevis again to soften the solder and set the trim on the transmitter neutral. The model will be in trim for life.

Don't forget to post some pics of your build I can never get enough of build pics of the RedEagle.

And when you have questions just ask.

Cheers

Ton

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RedEagles,

It’s been a while since I last posted here – desperately trying to get hold of a plan for this plane. Thanks to the generosity of members in this group, I swiftly took receipt of a plan (Thanks again Andy!)

Since then I have been acquiring all the materials for the build as time & money allowed. I’ve finally got everything I need – except the covering film.

As it’s been nearly 30 years since my last build, (and there has been a wife, children & several house moves in-between), I no longer have a building board. Before I can start building, I will need to make myself a new one! Hoping to sort that in the next few of weeks. I’ve got a couple of weeks off over Christmas, so planning on finally getting stuck into the build then. Really looking forward to it!

As for the covering, I’ve only used either tissue & dope, or solarspan before. I’m certainly not planning on going down the tissue & dope route! So a covering film it will be.

Any advice on what type of covering film I should use would be appreciated. I’ve obviously used solarspan, but have not tried solarfilm. I’ve heard of oracover, but have never seen it. I also see Hobbyking do a range of films. What did you guys use?

Still trying to decide on final colour scheme, but it is likely to be something along the lines of the following:

(apologies for using other members photos!)

529518.jpg

glier.jpg

hk_zpse6136667.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Any tips/advice gratefully received!

smiley

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 17:51:24

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 17:53:07

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 18:06:42

Jason, you dont need much more than a piece of plasterboard for a building board - it takes pins really well and is cheap although builders throw out offcuts big enough for our use. Must be dead flat of course. Get a few small bits as boards for tailplanes so you can work on severalitems at the same time.

HobbyKing film seems just as good as other brands and cheaper too. it is much easier to do wings etc in one colour than try to do colour panels on open structure wings! Main thing is to get a highly visible colour scheme so you can see it at a distance rather than something that looks pretty ( depends on eyesight of course)

Thanks kc,

I had thought about using a sheet of plasterboard on top of our glass dining room table (when the better half is not looking). I thought the glass table would be dead flat, but I was concerned that the pins would not stick into the plasterboard very well. I guess from what you are saying they hold well enough. yes

I should be OK with dual colour scheme on the wings - I was a dab hand with the solarspan back in my teens. Of course that was several decades ago, when my faculties all worked correctly. I'm hoping is just like riding a bike - you never forget .... embarrassedface 7

I just need to decide what colours I want - and which film to use......

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 22:57:51

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/11/2017 22:58:11

Hi Jason,

I have always used plaster board. I buy the smallest sheet cut it t size with a Stanley knife, for a perfect fit to my desk top. Easy. But you must seal the cut edges with masking tape, otherwise plaster will deposit itself all over your dining room. You could then be in some bother with the boss!

Hi Jason....

Glad to have helped out with plan and good to hear you are almost ready to go on the build! As for covering , I did mine from film I had in stock, it's done in a mixture of Solarfilm, Oracover and HobbyKing film. I find the HobbyKing covering very good, especially for the price.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ton

It's a nice simple but effective design. I'm enjoying the build. Here are some more parts awaiting sanding/shaping.

Don't worry, the leading edge of the wing is not warped - its just the wide angle lens on my phone camera creating a bit of fisheye! surprise

Kind regards

Jason

20180106_223945.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I planned on using a 40mm aeronaut spinner, but I was not happy with the fit to the model. The spinner nosecone and backplate have different tapers, which did not sit well on the model. Also, the 40mm diameter was fractionally too big for my front end - it overhung the side by about 0.25mm top and bottom. Perhaps I made the front former a bit too small!

40mm dry fit.jpg

40mm aeronaut spinner.jpg

I ordered a 38mm areonaut spinner. the nosecone and backplate have a more constant taper. The size & fit suited the model much better...

38mm dry fit.jpg

38mm aeronaut spinner.jpg

nose with 38mm spinner.jpg

spinner end on.jpg

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/03/2018 11:29:07

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/03/2018 11:31:26

Posted by Andy G. on 20/03/2018 11:17:14:

That's coming along really nicely Jason! Looks really neat around the the nose block!

Thanks! I'm at the fitting electronics stage now. Still some sanding/shaping to do, and then covering. Hopefully be ready for late spring & summer weather.