Entry level glider?

The Wildthing, being made of EPP and brilliantly simple in design and construction, WILL BE the toughest of the ones mentioned so far, and if durability and longevity are important, then it its the clear choice. I have flown many many of them ( and lots of other slope machines too ), and I personally prefer the 46" version as its that little bit easier to transport, and IMO flies just as well in almost all conditions. 2P supplied.

Advert

Hi Marc,

Most of the questions you asked of me have been answered. I started a year ago and started with a Fusion 46 which is a sister model to the Wildthing. Only the Wildthing is now made. I modded mine by adding a ply slot for the tail fin so that I can put it into a cloth glider bag which I carry over my shoulder. When I reach the slope I just slide the fin into the slot and secure with tape and fly. You live in area immersed in SAS combat so enjoy the company and experience this will give you.

There is a nice video collage of slope soaring entitled Best of 2013;

**LINK**

Rob

Hi Rob

>You live in area immersed in SAS combat so enjoy the company and experience this will give you.

I've no idea what combat in the RC world means, I just hope it's nothing to do with the beginner pilot crashing his plane into someone elses and then getting thumpd . Thanks for the link, I'll enjoy looking at that later; now the missus is making me go shopping.

Marc

Posted by marc bowden on 03/01/2014 10:46:20:

Hi Rob

>You live in area immersed in SAS combat so enjoy the company and experience this will give you.

I've no idea what combat in the RC world means, I just hope it's nothing to do with the beginner pilot crashing his plane into someone elses and then getting thumpd .

Marc

Almost there The WT is made primarily made for Slope Combat. Several fliers congregate on the slope. Planes are exempt from attack for 30 secs(?) to get height and then can be attacked. Putting a plane on the ground is a "hit".

This probably evolved from the fact that the planes are so tough. Aerobatics develops the skills to evade attack and enable attack. In such environments mirth is the order of the day and chivalry a norm

Rob

I have an SAS Fusion (Wild Thing equivalent) which I used to use for combat and to test slope conditions before throwing something a little more breakable into the air. It does fly very well.

I few months ago, I saw a beginner on the slope with an SAS Cobra which is a recent addition (or more correctly revamp) to the SAS range.

I was so impressed that I just had to get one.

It is of similar construction to the Wild Thing and it is just as unbreakable.

The aspect of it that really appealed to me is that it has a tail and elevator and looks like a proper plane.

On low rates of elevator and aileron throw it is an excellent and docile beginners model.

Dial up the rates and it is very aerobatic.

Cobras fly superbly, in fact far too well for what they are and what they cost.

The Cobra always gets flown on my slope sessions and I have not flown the Fusion since getting it.

The 46" wing is easily adapted to bolt on for storage and transportation.

If I were a beginner looking for a first slope model, the Cobra would be my choice.

This probably evolved from the fact that the planes are so tough. Aerobatics develops the skills to evade attack and enable attack. In such environments mirth is the order of the day and chivalry a norm

Great, and it is non-contact I hope? secret

I've just bought a Parkzone Radian Pro to fly at our field, we do get some good thermals there according to the other glider pilots who fly there. Been flying i/c for a while know and watched the gliders with interest so thought I'd have a go at it.

Mark.

If I were a beginner looking for a first slope model, the Cobra would be my choice.

Hi Peewhit

Thanks for adding that to the pot. I slightly prefer its looks, particularly the flat wing rear. I still prefer the Easy Flyer's looks by miles, but I do prefer the idea of something that won't end up in bits when I land on a wingtip. I'm just been 'flying' from Sandown to Shoreham in FSX, ah if only life was easy as in simulators ...

Marc

Edited By marc bowden on 04/01/2014 20:03:14

Well done for the simulator Marc.

The hard part about flying is the orientation when the machine is coming towards you, and a simulator will teach you this nicely.

With a bit of experience in slope soaring you will want to do more than fly back and forth, and this is when the aerobatic bit kicks in.

I have an Easy Glider electric which I use for flat field when there is little wind.

On the slope the Easy Glider will fly in very light winds, it loops nicely yet struggles to do a decent roll.

It is also made of Elapor which can break quite easily.

The SAS models are foam, held together with tape (easily repaired) and will literally bounce with no damage on a bad landing.

To the Cobra rolls, loops and inverted flying seem second nature, and it will even do an outside loop (bunt).

At the end of the day, the choice is yours.

Another vote for the SAS Wildthing, but I wouldnt agree that its only suitable in a good blow. My WT46 is absolutely standard and flown gently will hold its own against true lightweights in very marginal conditions. In the same trim and without any ballast its also perfectly happy in 45mph+ which is fantastic fun.

Of all my slopers this one is my favourite, its just so versatile plus you can chuck it off anywhere without worrying about how you're going to get it down in one piece. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 05/01/2014 01:34:05

• 4 months later...

Thanks everyone for the guidance. A bit of an update. Because every single stage in making the Wildthing is taking me ages, I bought a secondhand Fusion, and had my inaugural flight with it on Friday. 30+ mph winds, and a lot of fun! Thank goodness for all the sim time (not on gliders, on powered aeroplanes (I find Phoenix hopeless for gliders)). So I'm very hooked now, and thinking of a 2nd model, for light winds, another robust foam model. The Radian looks possible although I don't like the prop at the front, are there beginnerish foam gliders with pop up propellors?

Marc