Entry level glider?

Advert

Marc, re the first question are you looking for a slope soarer, flat field towline glider or electric launch glider ?

The second question is akin to learning to run before you can walk & the third is depends on a number of factors that need to be established & considered but even then it would be a "ball game" figure.

One suggestion is the Multiplex Easyglider, it's quick & easy to assemble, easy to fly, toughish sloper that can also be fitted out with as an electric glider. It can be flown as a sloper in very light to moderate winds & has a reasonable thermaling capability. I've had an electric powered one for about 4 1/2 years that I use as a hack for both light wind sloping & flat field thermaling.

With the right wind strength flown as a sloper the duration can be entirely limited by the battery capacity of either the Tx or Rx, an hour or two (or a lot more) is easily attainable.

Edited By PatMc on 01/01/2014 20:13:42

What about the Phoenix 2000? Fully kitted (apart from flap servos) for around £60 from HobbyKing UK. I have one as do several guys at the field, and they are great especially for the cash. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25894__Phoenix_2000_EPO_Composite_R_C_Glider_Plug_Fly_UK_Warehouse_.html

Edited By Depron Daz on 01/01/2014 21:32:08

Easy Glider is a good starting slope model and un-powered it will fly in the lightest winds off the slope while with a little ballast can handle some wind. Quite tough as well can handle some punishment, especially when you launch it without switching it on first blush

Flying off the slope is mainly done in slope lift, i.e. the wind rising up the side of the hill, but in summer you can also catch thermals off the slope, often referred to a slermaling, you'll know when you've hit a thermal or sink, birds can be a good clue to thermals as can clouds but in reality thats the fun with gliding is using the glider to find the thermals. Note many around at this time of year though.

If you radio set does telemetry and has vario capability you may want to consider that as a thermal hunting aid.

Thanks Depron and Frank. I only flown in a glider once I enjoyed it but unfortunately it didn't last too long (it was in winter), and I think model gliding appeals more than the real thing. 'Quite tough' sounds pretty useful to me, I think all my initial aircraft are best cheap and cheerful and tough. I didn't realise that the 'hill or ridge breeze' as I think of it, s a walker, was different from thermals. Thanks for the mentions of telemetry and vario, one more thing for me to go and find out about smiley.

Hi Mark

I cant believe that no one has yet suggested the SAS Wildthing!

Its an EPP model that is almost indestructible and ideal as a first slope model!

To give you an idea, I have flown mine deliberately into the ground, picked it up, checks the controls still working and thrown it straight back off the slope again and carried on flying!

I have yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy owning and flying a Wildthing!

Have a look HERE

Enjoy and welcome to the highly addictive world of slope flying.

Dave.

Posted by marc bowden on 01/01/2014 22:26:21:

'Quite tough' sounds pretty useful to me, I think all my initial aircraft are best cheap and cheerful and tough. I didn't realise that the 'hill or ridge breeze' as I think of it, s a walker, was different from thermals. Thanks for the mentions of telemetry and vario, one more thing for me to go and find out about smiley.

Hi Marc,

You probably need to do some research on model gliding as mentioned.

Slope Soaring in itself is quite different to Thermal gliding and the models are very different. Slope soaring models are mostly pretty rugged and fall into 2 categories; combat planes like the Wildthing (big recommendation for people entering this area) and hot liners like f3f. I have also recently acquired a Zagi (JP) which is also very easy to fly and very tough.

I am one that loves the slope but hates the climbs that often come with them but they keep me very fit. The ability to use a slope is related to wind direction and location. Where I live all the slopes are WNW, NW and N. If the wind is anywhere else it means traveling a distance to do it. The hobby does take you to some of the most beautiful places in the UK though.

Hi Ernie

I think initially, I would rather just fly. I've only been very interested in RC since Christmas Day when I was given a toy-end-of-things quad. I now have a better quad on order to fly in addition to that one. Both quads look to me like they're flyable in up to light breezes. I approached a local club a couple of days ago with a view to indoor flying those 2. I since noticed that they also slope soar. As I don't want to be limited to flying just in stillish air, that got me thinking, and I think I will get a new glider, but as I say, ready(ish) to go. Later on, it strikes me to build things to be a great addition to the hobby.

Marc

Hi TigerOC. Oh! I had no idea until you mentioned it that slope soaring and thermal gliding are different things! Well, as I think I may have mentioned, my main leisure interest is walking, and the more hills the better. Although having said that. I can't say I fancy lugging equipment up them much. I'll just have to but a big model Chinook .

If was going to get a Wildthing would I be best with a 46 or a 60?

What is a hot liner?

When someone gives a model and manufacturer, like "Zafi (JP)" does that indicate I would need a JP Tx? Or do I put my own Rx in?

Hills to me are a way of appreciating nature and so on, and if I can combine walking with flying, it sounds great!

Marc

You probably need to do some research on model gliding as mentioned.

Slope Soaring in itself is quite different to Thermal gliding and the models are very different.

The hobby does take you to some of the most beautiful places in the UK though.

Edited By marc bowden on 02/01/2014 13:15:10

Regarding the Wildthing,

You need to look at what you will need to take with you up the slope. So lets take a quick look.....

The Wildthing - this will strap to any modest rucksack. The 60 may impede your legs and may also make getting over stiles a little more difficult. As such, I would recommend the 46! (You could always get the 60 which flies a little better when the lift isn't great and carry it under your arm!)

Then you will need your transmitter and maybe a spare battery or 2!!

With regards to tx and rx. You can put your own rx in the model depending on which tx you have.

Hope that helps a little!

Dave

I have both the original Wildthing and an Easy Glider (and a Mini Blade Mouldie, Le Fish, Pat Teakle HP 18, Seagull Pilatus, .........................) the Wildthing is great in a slope lift in a good breeze, but if you can thermal one then you should be world champion, the Easy Glider will fly on a gnats flatulance and can handle a bit of a breeze. If Marc was a power flier looking for a windy weather sloper then the 1st choice would be a Wildthing, but my Easy Glider gets flown more than my Wildthing.

But hey this is just the start of a slippery path, won't be long before we are getting the posts for the best 2nd model wink

Dave: I was kind of thinking each wing would come off separately?! I prefer the idea of a 60" ottomh but I must say I hadn't envisaged climbing over stiles and it sounds like I may destroy the plane before I get in the air.

So, when I'm choosing a Tx, the proprietrary part, where we get manufacturer lock-in, is a) just between the Tx//Rx and b) aircraft that come with the Rx already installed? I've just discovered in the last few mins open source Tx, which I will look at further. Such a huge field RC, it seems, it's amazing how much is going on. very helpful, thanks.

Frank: this is getting confusing, perhaps I should actually hang out on some slopes and see some machines in action before I get one. ne thing, I do visually much prefer the look of the more athletic Easy Glider as opposed to the Wildthing, but I see SAS is just up the road from me.

I had an ST Models ASW28 last year - KLMS did a RTF version (just add lipo) for £75 but i cannot see it now

The ARTF version is there (add your radio and lipo) for £77.90

Nice glider - flies well - easy from flat or slope but you probably wouldnt want it on a big slope on a windy day!

Nice introduction to model flying though having the benefit of a small motor up front so that you dont need the tow line to get it up there and if the wind drops it still flies nice from the slopes

I last flew mine on the great orme but on a calm day - used the motor to get it where i wanted it and then she stayed up on the slightest lift - flew for 45 minutes on a single 1300mah 2S pack.

**LINK**

Hi Marc

As you haven't flown before, I would seriously consider getting some help with learning to fly. So I would suggest you contact Paul Hampshire at Slope Soaring Sussex who I have flown with and he will be very helpful to get you going. I think I'm right in saying you're in that area?

Model wise? For me you can't go wrong with the Wildthing as others have said for your first model. The trickiest part of flying is landing, and it is far more difficult on the slope than it is from a flat field. The "Thing" will bounce and you will spend more time flying than repairing more traditional models. I've been flying my Thing for more than 2 years now and am just about to re-cover it, which should see it good for another couple of years.

Steve

**LINK**

Hi Steve

Funny you should mention, but yes I have just been in touch with Paul about that. I'm happy to play on my own with small Quads but I think I'd be hopelessly lost trying to glide something 2 metres across on my own, even if I do intend getting a sim at some stage.

I feel rude puns coming on when you talk about flying your thing for 2 years ...

Even though Frank said this:

"the Wildthing is great in a slope lift in a good breeze, but if you can thermal one then you should be world champion, the Easy Glider
will fly on a gnats flatulance and can handle a bit of a breeze. If Marc was a power flier looking for a windy weather sloper then the
1st choice would be a Wildthing, but my Easy Glider gets flown more than my Wildthing."

... you still tend to suggest I go for the Thing? I think i might like something with an electric motor. I don't, as you say, really want to spend my learning time repairing things, so robustness is pretty high on the list.

I still like Frank's suggestion, it's big, so I hope the wings come off if crosscountry walking is involved
up through woods to get to ridges, but I like the looks and the fact that it is electric

**LINK**

What do you cover your plane with?

Marc

Hi Mark

Yes, that is a nice looking machine, thanks.

When it says:
Even the assembly of the main airframe parts can be done in less than 2 minutes and are as quick to disassemble for transport and storage.

Does that probably mean that each wing side comes off separately?

Marc

I had an ST Models ASW28 last year - KLMS did a RTF version (just add lipo) for £75 but i cannot see it now

The ARTF version is there (add your radio and lipo) for £77.90

Marc

If you are only looking to fly from the slope, then I have, on more than one occasion, thermalled my Thing almost out of sight. If it has wings, most gliders will go up quite happily in a thermal.

My Thing is currently covered in coloured packing tape but I am changing that for 4D Carbon, used more in the auto trade but looks good for this too.

TBH Marc, before you make any decisions, go along to the slope and see Paul, he will point you in the right direction and you can see what it's all about for yourself.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Posted by marc bowden on 02/01/2014 18:35:02:

I still like Frank's suggestion, it's big, so I hope the wings come off if crosscountry walking is involved
up through woods to get to ridges, but I like the looks and the fact that it is electric

**LINK**

What do you cover your plane with?

Marc

Marc

Yes the wings come off the Easy Glider and are very easy to refit, just pushing on.

As I said in my earlier post its a bit like horses for courses with gliders, if the slope lift is weak then you'll struggle with a Wildthing, but if it's strong and the site is a bit rough then it would be the model of choice.

As far as radio systems go, it's only the Tx and Rx that are specific to each system, you can swap the receivers between other manufacturers planes (the small Bind n Fly Parkzone units excepted which use a Spektrum system integrated Rx, ESC and servos unit).