*INVALUABLE INFORMATION* For beginners please read!

Newbee phil

Hi to all reading this

Ive purposely created this thread to help people like me (beginners)...

firstly if you are new this hobby be prepared to get frustrated...

I am going to list all the things I've done , that has helped me over the last 6 months (I joined bury club last summer) ...

1,.. Join your nearest club and befriend as many members as possible, if like me you can only fly on a Sunday , ask members what days they usually fly , if your retired ,lucky you, every day is a Sunday .... Also this is worth noting , some members only fly electric , this can be a problem if like me you only like ic

2,.. Buy yourself a simulator , this is by far the best way to learn your orientation , practice circuits and figure of eights , find a site on your sim with a landing strip and learn to land (this is not like real life I admit) but it does help , lots ...

3...The best trainer , which I've found at our club for new members is is a wot4 fomie , these are so easy to fly , they practically float... (I use a black horse travel air) this is not supposed to be a trainer, but I find after using my sim , I prefer a low wing (less buffeting in the wind on turns) ... Yet members on here will say its stupid , but next weekend I'm in for my a and b test , weather permitting , and I've only been to the field about 10 times... (Sims are a god send) ...

4... You don't need to spend lots of money , ask at the club if anyone has stuff for sale , I bought a ripmax exclaim with a irvine 53 and futaba 35 meg radio , ready to go and fly for £30 ... Bargain.. But like I said , I wasn't keen and after a couple of flights , switched to my travel air..... (Speaking of which, stands me at £130 ,all brand new) ... Thanks to eBay ... (Unused airframe still in the box £40, old ish but unused magnum engine £40 ,tower pro servos £30, reciver £20 .) like I said you don't need to spend loads .... People slag off magnum engines and tower pro servos , but I fly full throttle (my nick name at the club is full throttle Phil) and I've had no bother with my gear....

5... The frustration side... Don't be disheartened , by weather ,no members at the field etc... It does annoy and I don't like invading peoples space , but you will find someone that will teach you and just stick with it........

I hope this helps and if I can think of anything else I will ad to this post.....

Phil

Thanks Phil. I'm making progress, I have a trainer multi-rotor, a simulator and a 6 channel entry-level computer Tx on order, and I've contacted one local club. Once I've been to the club a couple of times I'll order a beginner's glider as recommended to me on here.

Marc

Get buddied up with someone via a buddy lead, thats what i initially did last summer, much easier than passing the tx back and forward, and a lot less stress on both parties. Worked great for me, i'm flying low wingers , deltas , and i' m busy putting together my 30cc sbach , all in less than a year . could never have done it without the buddy system , and a great guy who gave up a lot of his time to help me

Another good reason for all beginners to hone in on this is that this wonderful mag RCM&E Are giving away a free model aicraft simulater when you subscribe to the magazine! Now if only i can get access to the subscriber only content groan. Steve

Edited By Steve Adams on 06/01/2014 22:53:07