Sugru - looks useful, has anyone used it?

This isn't a promotion, my daughter came home with some of this the other day, I looked it up. It looks pretty useful although I'm not quite sure how.

Has anyone used it in a model flying capacity?

For anyone who's not come across it, it's putty type stuff that you mould to your chosen shape, leave for 24 hours after which it has become a rubberised, temperature proof repair. Details here - **LINK**

Made in the UK too thumbs up

4. open pack - red.jpg

5. hand formable - red.jpg

apple charger.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 08/01/2014 15:34:17

Advert

Sugru is nothing like Polymorph.

Sugru sets into a hardwearing but soft rubber. I have used it to form a non-slip foot on a walking/monopod stick; and to soften the cable entries on my pushbike brake levers. Sugru has a degree of heat resistance and will certainly withstand boiling water. It is a one shot irreversible process.

Polymorph on the other hand is a hard slippery plastic, not dissimilar to a rotomold kayak (polypropylene?). It is supplied in granules and has a low melting point (<100C) and can be subsequently melted and reformed.

I bought some Sugru after seeing at the science museum and have yet to find a use for all the 10x 5gram packs. It has a limited shelf life so there are probably some unusable 5 gram rubbery blobs in my workshop. If you can find a use, it is jolly good. Hardwearing in the right application (ie handle grips) and has good adhesive properties. I have not tested chemical resistance, but a trip to Sugru.com shows many more applications than I can think of.

I have used Sugru, I love the stuff and it is super easy to mold neatly with just fingers. it grips quite well too. I tend to use it on custom MPX servo extensions to protect the wires near the plug from vibration and it also provides a nice grip so you don't end up pulling just the wires.

You can't use just a bit of a packet, as once opened it all goes off, so you save up a few jobs and do them all at once.

It is the texture of a medium rubber, so not sure it can be painted easily, but you can get it quite a few colours anyway.

I have had some for ages, well beyond the use by date. Keep it in a cool garage and it's still usable. Of course when a pack is opened it has to be used. I have used it for repairing a model, embedding canopy struts in it, also repaired the soles of trainers and used to make stabilizing feet on an alarm clock that kept falling over. It's quite heavy so not much good on very small, light models. Use is only limited by imagination.

Posted by Stephen Jones on 08/01/2014 22:26:55:

Hi ,

When i 1st looked at this i immediately thought of Polymorph which is a similar kind of thing .

They used this stuff to mould a support for my youngest and dearest when he dislocated his thumb many moons ago. Sure its still in the garage somewhere. winkThey could not put the normal strapping on as he is allergic to elastoplast.

• 2 weeks later...