motors esc's lipo's

Advert

Wow, I think you'll get as many different opinions here as there are different manufacturers!

Most of my motors are AXI, which I think are regarded as "quite good". They've certainly served me without any problems for must be 10 years now. The only motor I've had any problem with is Hyperion, the shaft of which seems to be made out of chocolate, or some such material -- I've bent two with simple nose-overs on landing, which did no other damage to the model.

As for ESCs, I've got quite a few Jetis (recommended by AXI motors), and a few HobbyWing, both of which have served me well. The only problem ones I've had are Align (they started stuttering the motor after a couple of years), and Hyperion and Graupner (they both wouldn't sync with the motors, which were the same brand).

I've been flying with LiPos for seven years now and, apart from wrecking a few in crashes, they're all running fine, though some are showing signs of high IR (they won't deliver high amps any more). The brands in question are Thunder Power and Align, though recently I've bought a few Gens Ace.

To a certain extent you'll get what you pay for. If they're too cheap, you'll have to replace them regularly. That's probably acceptable with LiPos, but you don't want an ESC (and BEC) to fail on you during a flight.

• 2 months later...

Since nobody else has chipped in, I can say that from reading other forums I see that Scorpion motors are very popular at the less-expensive end of the market, though you do have to grease/oil the bearings quite regularly (never done that with my AXIs), and Turnigy batteries too.

But this is not a "recommendation", for I haven't personally used either of them smiley

Physically, that's plenty big enough weight-wise for a 24oz PCF - that seems to be the norm in the Mass Build threads.

At 1.5lb AUW, 300W will give you 150W/lb, which should be plenty and a bit - 250W seems to give good performance looking at the PCF threads....

I'll move this thread over to the Mass Build section as it's specifically about the PCF and the guys building them are the best to advise on the powertrain.....

Pete