Advice needed on tablet choice.

Phil May

Advert

Well I brought a Asus Memo Pad HD and I am very happy with it. The Memo pad just slighty out performs the Nexus 7 and has better features than the Samung Tab 7, plus it is cheaper than both. it also has a memory card slot to increase on the 16gb installed.

Mike

Well I bought the Samsung 7" tablet in the end and up to now really pleased with it.

I managed to pick up a new one with a 12 month warranty for £89.99 delivered smiley

I have discovered that I have broadband issues ( I'll start another post on that one )

Once again thanks for the advice.

Phil

Good to see that you're now sorted Big Phil.

Last year i bought my wife an IPad 2 (mainly because I could then use the 'Star Walk' app wink 2). There is a huge range of apps, some better than others and its a great piece of kit. But, its frustrating to get to grips with. For instance, it soon started running slow. This, I found out was due to the number of apps running in the background, and that you had to do a double press on the button to find them. There was no mention of this anywhere. No instruction book was provided of course, so you have to find these things out for yourself. If you don't know what you are looking for in the first place it makes it kind of tricky. Is this the same for all tablets, or is it just me?

If I were to get another tablet I would get one that was a bit more future-proof. One where I could add USB memory sticks etc.

As an aside, I would like to stream webcam video from a telescope into a tablet/laptop and process it with something like Registax to get a nice crisp image. Has anyone got experience of Registax and can advise on what sort of tablet/laptop would be suitable? At the moment I'm thinking laptop as I can play around with the software and hardware configuration but they are more bulky than a tablet and have more chance of getting trodden on in the dark. I could fix a small tablet to either the telescope or the tripod.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I hope this posting is helpful - despite it being mostly negative LOL.

Wife has an ipad mini and on the odd occasion I have used it, it seems a nice piece of kit, but I only ever pop myself onto the screen for some "facetime" with my kids who live a long way off. I did download a small app called media share which allowed me to fairly easily stream films and music wirelessly off my NAS drive. However, she never uses this, and basically just plays silly kids games on it, or watches the news in the morning. Seems to me an overpriced thing if thats all shes gonna do with it, but hey, who am I to try and explain reason and sense to a woman.

In a mad hot flush last week, after seeing my son in laws Toshiba (windows OS) tablet, I decided to get one for my self, and after two days, 3 X OS crashes, and then a total failure of the touch screen grid, I returned it and got a refund. Windows eh....why did I think it wouldnt crash and burn face 5 - I never learn.

So, being struck by the slim and sexy Samsung tab3 8" ( android os ) I decided to give it a go, after all, I had a samsung galaxy mini phone running the same OS, so it should work the same right ?? Pa.

After a frustrating, very time consuming and completely unguided hike through the mud that is google ( the androids alien parent ) I have given up, and its going back this afternoon to Currys for refund ( only after much "conversation" with the customer service dept and store manager ) - after all, their policy/promise that you can change your mind within 21 days for a no quibble refund only applies if you havent opened the packaging at all! Someone please explain how you can make that call on a piece of equipment that you cant even open the box !

Whats wrong with it?

No instructions at all to speak of, just a bewildering collection of apps and widgets with no explanation at all as to what they might bring to the party. Almost every time I clicked one of them I am asked to create an account with google, or google play, or google+ or samsung this or google that. Arrrgh. Sign in with existing google accounts, or email addresses, or hotmail or ebay, or windows live, or ......you get the picture.

Can I simply download music or films to it from my NAS drive like I did without too much hassle on to the android samsung phone? Not a chance. After a couple of hours, the battery is dying, so I have to get ANOTHER usb lead based wall wart going to charge the damn thing up again. This palava has continued almost daily ( and half way through the night sometimes ) for over a week and I have had it.

Its going back, with the somewhat sad yet also relieving realisation that.....

I DONT NEED A TABLET - MY LIFE WILL NOT BE BETTER WITH ONE - JUST MORE STRESSED THAN IT WAS.

Now I am not a dummy when it comes to tech, having grown through my last 20 years ( Im 63 this year ) with the birth of home Pcs, the web etc, and always considered my quite tech savvy, for an old fart - Ive built hundreds of PCs for people over the last 12 years, and know my way around electrics etc better than most.

HOWEVER, Ive had it with these darn things ( I dont think I am ever going to love my "smartphone" like I did my 2yr old LG clamshell ). Maybe its me.... but someone please tell me why the heck I want to be bombarded /bombarding everyone and his dog with tweets, facebook updates, emails, sms messages, rolling news, phone calls, Gups, apps, and all the rest of the rubbish and trivial nonsense trying to invade my personal space 24/7. HELP, I am drowning in social media and apps .....and Im sick of it.

A huge apology for a huge rant, but I know I am right. Its the march of the machines, and they are for the bright young things with credit to burn, and hardly any real people skills.

I will spend the next few days trying to make sense of all the nonsense and google based adverts that cover my "smartphone" and hey, I can watch a movie or listen to my music on it - heck it even paired quite painlessly with my blutooth headsets and speakers. Chuffed with that I was

I see your point on the google accounts passwords etc, can be frustrating, but once it's set up it's really convenient.

I set my google account up ages ago, I havr since had 3 different tablets, the beauty of google accounts is that it remembers all your downloads, links with the play store and gmail etc, so when you get a new tablet you just sign into google and most of what you had on your previous tablet is magically there!

I have the 7 inch samsung tab and find the battery life is brilliant.

As for windows.... you silly boy lol cheeky