A Quarter Scale Hurricane Build

cont'd.

All leads are now tied in and flying controls coupled up, together with working lights, such as this rudder-mounted recognition light, mentioned earlier ......

dsc00675.jpg

Rear fuselage framework just waiting for that taut fabric !

dsc00674.jpg

Charging points and other control interface elements can be accessed through scale hatches in the fuselage sides which we have seen in closeup in earlier sessions, and these faithfully reproduced features add to the air of realism building up around the model ( more so when closed of course) ....

dsc00677.jpg

At last the rear fuselage covering can start to be applied, as on the lower starboard side here .....

dsc00676.jpg

with access hatches, clearly visible below the cockpit, being neatly trimmed in .....

dsc00678.jpg

followed by upper surfaces ...

dsc00679.jpg

and the fabric is all on, enhancing the model's appearance still further.

dsc00683.jpg

Application of red undercoat precedes further fabric detailing ....

dsc00685.jpg

and fairing around tail unit junctions ...

dsc00688.jpg

Individual fairing panels seen here at the start of being formed in wet card ...

dsc00690.jpg

Further forward, at the wing root, more individual fairing panels are being added below an access hatch, complete with Dzus fasteners.

dsc00689.jpg

On the fuselage spine sits the radio mast, and ahead of it the only *non-functioning* light, the Morse signalling lamp.

** (perhaps only because Paul hasn't learnt Morse)

dsc00686.jpg

Paul tells me that since I received these photos he has applied the fabric trim strips and other surface details, so we have that to look forward to and of course, the camouflage paint job. He's taking a few days off now so we'll just have to be patient. Thanks for reading,

Ken and Paul.

Advert

cont'd.

Just a note to let you know that today is Paul (the builder) Jarrett's birthday. He is producing this great model, despite ill-health which gets him down a bit, and it would cheer him no end if those of you on Facebook were to send him birthday greetings, or message him via this website, with your views on the Hurricane, but please DON'T use this blog for the purpose.

Thanks chaps,

Ken.

Happy birthday .Paul. Congratulations on a great build from another Hurricane lover Got my first pair when I was born given to me by an uncle who was In the R.A.F.as fitter. Made from pine by him. 4 cannon made with Pop rivets Green and Brown cam for one and Sand and Brown for the other. Got confiscated by a something of teacher at primary school when I was 9. Never would give 'em back. Sod no doubt kept them for himself. SAME AS MY ARMY POCKET KNIFE. I was showing that to the lads same as the models .I could tell you a lot more about him Twisted sod committed suicide.Sorry //gone off topic a bit but love of Hurris brought it on.

Posted by onetenor on 10/10/2015 22:28:10:

Happy birthday .Paul. Congratulations on a great build from another Hurricane lover Got my first pair when I was born given to me by an uncle who was In the R.A.F.as fitter. Made from pine by him. 4 cannon made with Pop rivets Green and Brown cam for one and Sand and Brown for the other. Got confiscated by a something of teacher at primary school when I was 9. Never would give 'em back. Sod no doubt kept them for himself. SAME AS MY ARMY POCKET KNIFE. I was showing that to the lads same as the models .I could tell you a lot more about him Twisted sod committed suicide.Sorry //gone off topic a bit but love of Hurris brought it on.

Wow, way to go putting a damper on a thread.

Edited By Monz on 10/10/2015 22:42:36

If I recall correctly Jimmy Edwards used the Phrase in radio programme called Educating Archie before he used it on TV .I also remember he was in a comic and a prog or TV show called Whacko. I think the comic was called "Radio Fun" He was also in quite a few films

Hope this helps make things a bit clearer

Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...

cont'd.

Hello Dear Readers, thanks to all of you who posted birthday wishes to Paul, and for your appreciative comments. Your feedback really is helpful. Since the last blog session he has been busy finishing and detailing the fuselage, so we'll pick up where we left off, but first, for John 'onetenor', I'll ask Paul to answer your questions, O.K. ?

The rear covering having been completed, and undercoat/primer applied, it was time for the camouflage base colour, unifying the whole structure, to be followed by progressive spraying of the secondary shade ......

dsc00696.jpg

Whether Paul was driven outside by a build up of paint fumes, or lured by the lovely sunshine we've been having, I don't know, but the opportunity to pop the wings on couldn't be missed. Of course, no chances were taken with overspray on the wings, so much masking was necessary before that spray rig was reactivated.

dsc00697.jpg

dsc00698.jpg

dsc00699.jpg

Yes, I know the fuselage colour looks brown whilst the wings look green, and no, I can't explain it, but I'm sure it will turn out right and anyway, it's the same the other side so it must all be under control.

dsc00700.jpg

The piles of discarded newspaper under the table testify to the masking effort that's gone before.

dsc00701.jpg

dsc00702.jpg

Back inside, detail painting begins with the fin flash red and blue .....

dsc00703.jpg

followed by white, which naturally leads on to a fuselage roundel .....

dsc00705.jpg

dsc00704.jpg

seen here in newly-painted glory, with factory fresh serial number too. I've a funny feeling that newness will soon be weathered away !

dsc00706.jpg

Next came the squadron letters ....

dsc00707.jpg

and the individual aircraft identity.

dsc00708.jpg

Same the other side, and the first of the fine-print stencils for the benefit of the faithful ground-crew, together with some exhaust staining, walking surface strip, and missing paint, thanks to erk's desrt boots.

dsc00709.jpg

Another stencil on the tailplane ....

dsc00711.jpg

and finally, a long view down the fuselage, looking absolutely great.

dsc00712.jpg

I hope Paul doesn't mind me telling you this, but he is now taking a break as his health has worsened and he's awaiting a decision on some really intrusive surgery. I'm sure you will all want to join me in wishing him the best possible outcome and a return to feeling well again. Paul, youre an inspiration mate.

• 3 months later...

If you've been wondering how Paul is keeping I can tell you that there is no change in his situation, and a decision is still awaited. In the meantime the Hurricane awaits better weather, as it's so BIG that most of the remaining jobs need to be done outside, so Paul is amusing himself with some woodturning.

He's still confident that the Hurricane will take to the air later this year, so watch this space,

Ken.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have only just registered with this site and seen this thread.....WOW !!

As the previous owner of a Rawle 1/4 Hurricane with another now in the workshop I am obviously a lover of the breed. The detail being put into this build is beyond my skill/patience but I have been encouraged to at least make an effort in detailing this one. One of my first challenges is to build a scale tailwheel assembly and look at making the main undercarriage more realistic than the standard Unitract items in place at the moment. I have bought this as as a flown but not completely finished model but have stripped all the covering etc of for LMA inspection as it had never been registered. My previous model weighed 23kg so Im not optimistic this model will be much lighter.

Hello Patrick, glad you like the thread. As I've said several times, I just write it, but Paul Jarrett actually does it, and we're all somewhat in awe of the work he puts into the detailing. Magnificent isn't it ?

When it comes to the tailwheel, you may have noted that I built the one on Paul's model, and if you want any further detail you can follow the thread I did on it, entitled '1/4 scale Hurricane tailwheel' which started on 31/01/2014. I hope you can find it alright and that it may be helpful. Good luck with the mains, they're pretty complicated in real life, aren't they ? I'm sure Paul would join me in asking to see your results in due course, if you wouldn't mind.

I'll take this opportunity to tell everyone that Paul and I managed to re-establish contact a couple of days ago, after a series of emails failed to make it from him to me, and my enquiries were becoming a little more worried. Turns out it has been a technical glitch at his end I think. He can do very little more to the Hurricane (now fully painted) until he can get it outside in guaranteed good weather !!! In the meantime the prospect of a major operation has been put on hold, so he is soldiering on as best he can. Thanks to all those who have expressed appreciation and sent Good Wishes. Please continue to watch this space,

Ken.