First Glider.....advice sought

Mal Chilvers 1

Hi I have resanly been invited to go slope soaring with a friend which I would love to do.I have breathing problems and well over retiement age.Would this be the wronge disition.Are there any soaring clubs in the Hull area where Iive.What would be a reasonaly priced model to start of with with very little building as I have a slight tremor and believe I could start of with a 2 chanen radio?

Well provided you can get up the hills Mal it sounds a great idea!!!

I'm sure your friend will let you have a fly of his model so maybe try that & see how it feels. If & when you want to move it forward & buy your own model then I'm sure there are lots of people here who will be only too happy to advise you.....

For a simple slope soarer then yes a 2 channel radio will be fine but I doubt you'll find one......something with 4 channels is most likely the best to start with. You'd just set up the glider to utilise 2 of the 4 channels. You can buy a simple 4 channel set for not much money these days....

Enjoy your day out & let us know how you get on......thumbs up

I would recommend the Multiplex 'Easy Glider Pro' as an ideal introduction to gliding. It can be used either as electric or a pure glider and is easy to assemble, or you can buy it RR (Ready for Radio) which means you just need to add your receiver, battery and Transmitter.

Hi Mal, Simon Cocker covered starting in gliding in this mag.recently over a few issues .He is de man wiv de knowledge . To start out you do not need a dedicated slope soarer per se. Any glider with around a two metre span and Rud/Elev. will perform off the slope as long as the breeze is steady at 10-15 knots -maybe a bit less if you are learning. The most hours I ever logged up with one model was with a plane called a Soar Birdy . The "slope" was actually a vertical cliff only about 6-10 metres high. Further down the same stretch of coast there were sand dunes that were again, not very high, but were great fun to work once you had got a bit more proficient . So you really don't need a "big" of anything to enjoy sloping. Just do it . You won't regret it.

Morning Mal.

My advice is to have a chat with your G P first and explain what your plans are....

Find a slope which is not to much off a trek, if your lucky you may be able to find a park and fly site....We are blessed with a couple of these in South Wales smiley

But, in my opinion, never go flying by yourself and always ensure someone has a mobile phone.....just in case.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Good luck and enjoy.

Phil

Mal - +1 for the EGPro, especially as if you go for the powered version, not only have you got a Get Out Of Jail Free card when you run out of lift, or look like landing short (if allowed on that particular slope) but the 2000/3S LiPo is useful ballast too. Further ballast can be added by slipping a length of steel rod inside the carbon tube wing joiner. You'll need some fibre-tape under the front 12" to protect it on landing and you're done.

I loved my first one so much that when an attack of Dumb Thumbs destroyed it, I when straight out and bought another one. (I also bought a Solius in the Summer, sort of an EGPro GT, much more slippery, but I would still start with the EGPro.)

Hi Mal, don't know how far you're prepared to travel but I know a number of easily accessed coastal slope soaring sites between Bridlington & Filey.

Re finding a club - if you have a search here on the BMFA website you will see that there are plenty of clubs around Hull. Best contact one of them before spending any money on a model, you might find you can buy something suitable from a club member as well as getting first hand advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Mal, don't be worried about the amount of channels, it's not an issue, you still only need to stir the right stick for basic flight (assuming mode 2).

Libelle looks a great Discus launch glider (I might have to get one), but is probably not a good first slope model as it will only fly in very light winds. The Multiplex Easy Glider Pro as mentioned above is a great first model, I've sloped, bungy'd and aerotowed mine, even launched it on the bungy without switching on the radio, it did 3-4 circuits and landed itself perfectly just like a well trimmed free flight model.