Lidl Digital Calliper

I've been meaning to buy a digital calliper for some time - much more convenient than my old, imperial only, M&W micrometer.

So, when I saw one in Lidl today for £8.99 I bought one, and decent enough it is too. Unusually, it's nor made in China and appears to be made in Germany. It's not intended for commercial use, but you can't go wrong for the price.

Advert

I've been using one for hobby work for three years or so. It's an excellent gadget to have in the workshop, and for the price you can't go wrong. Fully qualified and experienced mechanical engineers might pick nits with it, but for the average hobbyist - no problems. Good for measuring wire, matching wood thicknesses, checking dowels size, the spacing of motor mount bolt holes and so on. Go for it!

I thought they were useful - until I owned a couple. Yes certainly convenient, as long as you have a stock of batteries to hand.

I had a 150 & 300mm versions, from quite a reputable company. After 2-3 months of non-use the batteries died! Then they both came up with random numbers... then the battery clip broke....after a year I binned them.

Went for a vernier type, much better. Will also try a dial caliper too. Colin - pity your old M&W Mic isn't metric - or you could send it to me...yes

I have to say that I have a couple of pairs of the Lidl Callipers*. I find that the battery life is quite reasonable, and that the replacement batteries are cheap enough from Fleabay.

Plummet

* Why a couple? Well I lost one, bought another, then found the first again.

I use a set of cheap digital callipers that the kids got me for Xmas about 4 years ago. Only had to change the battery once. Does metric and thankfully imperial.

I also still use my old and trusted mechanical micrometer. Imperial only. yes

012 calipers (2).jpg

Forgot the Metric only callipers.blush

012 calipers (3).jpg

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 18/03/2014 19:50:05