Weight/Motor/Batt Tables

I am new to electric flight and was wondering if anyone had produced any tables that showed, weight of aircraft - appropriate sized Motor (Kv) - ESC - Battery - Prop

The way I see it is that the weight of the plane/glider would determine the power the motor needs to move that weight. The prop would determine the max current draw, and hence the ESC amperage.

I have an ASW 28 Glider, weighing 475 grams, with a 1050Kv motor, a 20A ESC and a 10 x 6 folding prop. There is no 2 cell 1000mah LiPo with it, but they weigh about 65g. All up weight = 540grams.

The previous owner said the climb to "operating" height was a bit pedestrian and I want to improve this.

I have, and would like to use, a 3 cell LiPo, but have been told that the extra voltage/current draw  could burn out the motor and esc.

If there was a table around I would be able to look at that and choose a motor/ esc/prop combo to suit my 3 cell 11.1 LiPo's

Does such a table exist?

Bill W.

Edited By Bill Worsley on 19/03/2014 08:44:57

Edited By Bill Worsley on 19/03/2014 08:47:03

Advert

You could use 3s to increase the power by 50% so long as you fit a smaller prop in order to keep within the motor's current limit.
According to Ripmax the motor will take up to 15A. Try some smaller props using 3s with a ammeter connected. Open the throttle slowly & make sure the current doesn't exceed 15A before WOT. If it does try a smaller prop. I suggest with a 9x5 folder. I know that the Graupner clone prop blades sold by Giant Shark perform very well whereas the prop that came with the model is probably crap so the smaller dia won't reduce the overall efficiency much, if at all.

Hi Bill,

Andrew Gibbs guide books are very useful for people new to electric power and his power system solutions guide contains tables which give suggested setups: battery mah, cell counts, motor Kv, prop diameter / pitch, esc current rating and more. the guides are well written and inexpensive and I would highly recommend them to people new to electric power and as a reference for others.

here is a link:

**LINK**

These are only available as pdf files so if you want a printed copy you will have to arrange to do this yourself, but if you have a pc or tablet these is probably no need.

regards

david

Bill,

Another useful thing to have if your are modifying your epower setup is a watt meter. These are pretty much an essential tool to ensure you do not put more current through the esc / motor than the specified limits. if you change the prop or battery setup you can then slowly increase the power and stop before exceeding any limitations.

These meters are inexpensive and also let you check the state of charge / discharge of your batteries and the balance of the voltages for multiple cell packs.

Strongly recommended

David

The columns under Note 1 don't make sense. Motors are limited by current without reference to the number of cells.

It's the power (Watts) that is variable according to number of cells (voltage).

Edited By PatMc on 19/03/2014 20:09:07