Great Orme & Long Mynd help requested

I am going to be on a short break in the Oswestry area next week and hope to persuade SWMBO to visit the Great Orme or Long Mynd for a short slope session. I am a BMFA member, so insured. Pure gliders only (Wildthing and a Blaze) Are there any other requirements to fly there? Are they restricted club sites for example. I have seen a number of mentions of flying there on various forums but no mention of any special requirements. Most of my club are power so nobody I know has been (as far as I know - they might have gone without telling me!)

Any advice/info gratefully received.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question from an infrequent gliderist, having never flown a sea cliff/slope and mostly tend to fly scale stuff, and nearing the end of a refurb of 4 yes 4 gliders, and wanting to blow the brain free of the recent stress of powered flight, i am looking to pay a visit to some new slopes, (i live 10 miles from the Leek moorlands slopes) so which ones the Orme always sounds good as does Long Mynd, any others out there suitable for an old fat fella with old gliders!!!

just come in from shed, and i am surprised just how many gliders i seem to have for someone who only fly,s them infrequently.,,,,,,,,,, note to self........... must do more gliding...!!!!!!!!!!

chris

ps i have just been "told" i am taking the good lady to wales over easter to some friends farm nr Lampeter, sooo  any slopes !!!

Edited By ceejay on 02/04/2014 17:23:53

If you are prepared to travel, I used to fly at Blackstone Edge - this is on the A58 between Littleborough and Halifax. Parking is easy (at the end of the old pack horse road) and not too much of a climb to a launch point. Its a huge bowl and wonderful for SW > W wind directions. There is nothing in front of it except the Irish Sea. Slope lift is superb - if you break through that and get into the wave lift getting a model back down again can be a real problem. The air is very smooth. There are two cracking local pubs you can go to for lunch/tea, the White House up the hill and the Moorcock just down the hill (using the road of course). A great day out and rarely over populated. The site isn't used by para-glider or hang glider fliers either

Edit.. I live near Crewe - its an hours drive from here avoiding the rush hour

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 03/04/2014 09:47:21

Chris. If you're going to Lampeter, probably the best place for flying gliders is Rhossili on the Gower, although when conditions are light you will have to share with the paragliders. Otherwise head to the area north of Bridgend called The Bwlch. Arguably this is probably the best flying area in Wales with flying available in any wind direction and, it's very popular as a venue for F3F comps. I've flown the Orme and IMO the Bwlch is better.

There are details and videos on my blog A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

steve

I haven't flown there since 1980. But I used to visit both the pubs (until recently) and often saw people flying there. No contact needed - just turn up and fly. The A58 isn't a very busy road now either as most traffic is on the M62. If the wind swings NW, you can move further up the road - there is a ridge facing NW, but that is very close to the road and nowhere near as good as the bowl.

Here is a map of the flying and parking areas at Blackstone Edge..

blackstone edge.jpg

Regards

Martyn

Edit: looking at the map, the bowl marked is misleading - it goes about another 0.5 mile further south and about 0.25 mile further East(to the path at the far right). I was just trying to show the extent of the shape rather than the scale. It's no use for D/S BTW - its a plateau at the top..

Edited By Martyn K on 03/04/2014 16:14:07

Robert - if you are interested I can email you the old LMSA map showing all the Long Mynd slopes and their wind directions, assuming my scanner will cooperate with my iPad. Failing that I can print you off a copy and send it snail-mail.

If there's a nice westerly, there's always a good bunch to be found flying at Pole Cott, not very enthusiastic about power assistance though.