Do I bother with a module

Spice Cat

Greetings All,

I have just purchased a Taranis and was musing upon the cost of the FrSky receivers. It occurred to me that buying a Spektrum module may be false economy as an FrSky 8 channel rx is about ten quid and a four channel one for about eight.

Most of my (24) models only need four channels so it is feasible to change the entire fleet over a period of time to FrSky eliminating the need for that second antenna on the Tx. Until such time, I can use the Spektrum DX6i for the rest of the collection.

Anyone else planning the same move?

PS Strangely enough, it almost feels like changing religion.....

Advert

If you spend £23 on the D or X series receivers you get as a minimum signal level and receiver supply voltage feedback. If you buy from the UK you also get UK support levels from the like of T9Hobbysport.

I'm still using my FF9 with FrSky module, but it's mainly because I'm too lazy to transfer all my models to the Taranis.

SC, neither of the Rxs you link have any telemetry, personaly I'd would only be happy using the 4 channel, single antenna one with a park flier or slow flying vintage.

IMO this is a better 4 channel buy and either this or this for 8 channel if you don't want to take advantage of the extended features of the X6R or X8R for an other fiver.

Spice Cat - I bought 3 of the 8 channel receivers you link to. They work fine.

I've just ordered an Orange module - I have an MCPX and a few orange receivers on foamies. I won't be using it for anything big but for £20 or so delivered I thought it well worth having.

I've found that the rising price of Spektrum receivers means that mine can be sold for the sort of price that makes replacing them with FRsky units feasible. [Most of mine were fairly modern DSMX units]

I use a Taranis a lot and it will be my main transmitter for this year, replacing my much-loved Mux3030.

I have three of the 4 channel receivers. One I haven't yet used in anger of the other two, one is in my Sonata E motor glider and it works perfectly even at high altitude and the other is in my Riot with no trouble either. They are specified as up to 1km range which is more than adequate for most models. The Mk 1 4 channel receivers were of a much lesser range and, as Pat says above, were only suitable for indoor or park fly models.

I've just bought an 8 channel receiver D8r-II plus which has telemetry (which surprised me because at only £22.19 from T9 it's a bargain). I do buy stuff from HK (who doesn't?) but prefer to deal with UK suppliers and T9 offer excellent service. They would probably listen if there was anything wrong - HK don't have a good track record for after sales service.

I have both an Orange DSM2/(DSMx?) module that I use for indoor helis and my Vapor and a FlySky module for WM models quad and V911 helis. I would only use FrSky receivers for 'proper' models - lets face it, they're very good and very affordable.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 27/03/2014 20:08:16

As I have loads of excellent and bullet proof FASST gear, I bought the module, though getting it working was not without pain.

Full explanation in the OpenTX Forum under Hardware.

I'm keeping my DX7 for Spektrum use indoors.

Just be aware that some Taranis are arriving with the PCB bolted into the case such that the module pins are not in the right place, so far out in fact that they can slide into the module case gap as it is inserted (out of any sight) so it "fits" and feels OK when its not connecting!!!

I have mainly been using X8R receivers with my Taranis. I'm selling my Futaba FASST receivers to fund buying Taranis compatable ones. The economics of this seems to be working out quite well as I can get about 1.5 X8R's with the second hand value of just 1 R617!

A Futaba module (at over £90 I think) does not add up for me - I only have about 8 Futaba Rx's so its not worth it. If I had 40 to change over - well then it might just be worthwhile.

BEB