LiFe Batteries as transmitter packs?

Andrew767

Yep..I use one in my Fuby 10C......lasts for ever & doesn't go flat between flying sessions. I charge it up & usually get 4-5 hours usage before I chicken out & recharge it. It's usually still half full!!!

I'd say buy with confidence Andrew.....MUCH better than NiMHs.....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 03/04/2014 22:24:22

I have a LiFe pack in my JR Tx and I agree with Steve it just goes and goes and I end up charging it just to be sure. Mine is a Hobbyking pack and is 1800mAH. I wouldn't be too concerned about the voltage falling off the cliff as in my experience NiMh and NiCad packs are much worse.

David

Posted by Subalib on 04/04/2014 03:02:45:

I have a LiFe pack in my JR Tx and I agree with Steve it just goes and goes and I end up charging it just to be sure. Mine is a Hobbyking pack and is 1800mAH. I wouldn't be too concerned about the voltage falling off the cliff as in my experience NiMh and NiCad packs are much worse.

David

Would it fit in a spektrum dx7s

Posted by Mowerman on 04/04/2014 10:08:56:

The owner of our LMS 'totaled' a model when a LiFe reciever pack failed in flight.

I doubt if he would recomend them.

Edited By Mowerman on 04/04/2014 10:10:50

I totaled a model when a wooden wing failed in flight.

I doubt I'll recommend using wooden wings in planes again...

sarcastic

On another note, LiFe packs are great and work really well both as Tx packs and Rx packs.

They have a great flat discharge curve which means the servos react the same way, no matter how discharged the pack is. Also they're a lot safer charging than the equivalent LiPo.

However you have to be aware of the flat discharge curve means you can't check how much life a pack has by how many volts it is reading. The only accurate way of determining that is when you recharge the pack to see how many mAh go back into it.

When the voltage starts dropping on a LiFe pack, the pack is almost empty. However given the large capacity of LiFe packs, most planes will get a good sessions flying in before they need recharging.

Si.

Posted by Andrew767 on 03/04/2014 22:56:59:

Thanks Steve

I think i'm just a little cautious because of reports of the voltage just dropping off a cliff near the end of use. What capacity is yours?. I was considering a 1500mah pack from Hobbyking.

Andrew

LiFe batteries do indeed have a steep voltage drop as they become discharged but in practice this just isn't an issue....mine sits at 9.8/9.7 volts for literally hours of use. My best todate is 5 1/2 hours over about 3 months before I wimped out & charged it up again.....it took about 800mAh...thinking

My unit is an 1800mAh battery from Hobby King....its been in use for about 3 years now. In fact al my fleet are LiFe powered these days.....apart from one I'm experimenting with HV servos fed by a 2S LiPo.....wink 2

Thanks for all the answers....I'm going to have a punt on one of these as the pros seem to outweigh the cons. Despite Mowermans (Calderdales very own poison pensioner!!) misgivings. I'll let you know how i get on as the season progresses............Now....I really must get on with that Mini Jazz build.

Andrew