Futaba M6 Fr Sky 2.4 ghz DIY Conversion

Paul Luby

Advert

I'm not really a Spektrum user but with the S/C encoders I found that negative-going ppm (ie standing 5v, pulses to ground)works fine to the buddy port. Chris Bott has one set up this way. On the other hand I have a DX5e and it accepts pos or neg DC ppm. Spektrum trainer signals are AC coupled but I've found they work ok to a DC feed.

Cheers

Phil

Posted by GONZO on 03/07/2014 09:30:26:

What sparks for the bike? Hub or CD? Bafang BBS01(2) or GNG etc or home made?

Its a front hub kit from Germanladen on ebay. Didnt fit very well, had to leave out all the spacers. I'm using a load of A123 cells I bought about 5 years ago when they were only available as Dewalt drill packs. Its on 10S which under load is only about 33v so the 36v controller thinks the battery is low all the time, I might try 11S tomorrow. Only 1P while I'm experimenting, I'll parallel them up when I settle on the right cell count.

But it works really well, rode to Chloes school tonight & back in a loop, only about 3 miles but no pedaling, I got back & charged the batteries & they took just 1100mAH. I'm slowly building it up as I havent wired the power meter yet and I dont want to kill the cells. My charger will only do 6S max, so I'm having to charge it in two halves!

Might start a thread on it just for interest!

Cheers
Phil

"Phil Greens Single Channel Bike" thread maybe? Still got my Saracen mountain bike I used when I was at work (almost 18 years ago). Looked into converting it for leasure use but there are a lot more hills where I am now than in Suffolk. From what I understood from my readings was that a CD unit was best for hilly areas, but a bit noisy compared to a hub unit. Going to much off topic.

Back on topic. I see you have reached what you feel is a final itteration of your encoder sketch. Are you going to publish it in its final and complete glory?

Edited By GONZO on 04/07/2014 09:22:33

Phil there would be lots of interest in an electric bike project I recon thumbs up

So it was you I was competing with for all those ebay dewalt packs was it? surprise

Are these some you kept stored unused, or are they ones you've used for models?
I ask because I've been thrashing mine in planes since 2008 and am starting to find them down on capacity.
All the packs I've done a 1A discharge test on, have tested somewhere around the 2000mAh hour mark, where of course they started at 2300mAh.

Hi All

Whoops, just found out that batch of Arduino Pro Minis I got are not genuine Deek-Robot items. I've tested a few and they seem to work ok.

In fact they could be better cause they have pinouts for all 8 ADC's and breakouts for the ICSP connections, pictures below. They even say this is a good idea on the Deek-Robots site.

dr-pro-mini-knockoff.jpg

dr-pro-mini-knockoff-backside.jpg

The fact that I got them for pennies is a bonus.

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

Edited By Paul Luby on 07/07/2014 17:40:02

Hi Guys

Not done anything electronic for a week but I have finished laying the kitchen and downstairs toilet floor.

Went to Keswick yesterday to visit our new Maine Coon kitten, he's 4 weeks old, we can't bring him home till he's 12 to 13 weeks old. Picture below,

westlake sabre 1 (4 weeks).jpg

Our breeder only does 4 litters a year as her cats are championship winners. Whilst there we were playing with the kittens from the previous litter, 8 weeks old, cause their all real friendly and she mentioned that one of them didn't have a reservation any more as the new owner had decided she couldn't afford to buy or feed a large cat. So, we are now getting two Maine Coons. Picture below,

westlake phantom (8 weeks).jpg

They should grow to about 20 to 24 pound and be quite large.

We are also getting a Siberian Forest cat, these grow to 20 to 26 pound. We'd had Siberians before and theeeeir great. we're waiting for news about a Siberian at the minute, so fingers crossed as their quite rare.

Before anyone says this is off topic, it does have an aeroplane connection.

Maine Coons are American Forest cats so we're calling the boy in the first picture Sabre, the boy in the second picture is gonna be called Phantom.

Siberian Forest cats are obviously Russian, yep you've guessed it, he's gonna be called Mig.

These two breeds are really friendly but if they do fight, will it be a dogfight?

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

Edited By Paul Luby on 10/07/2014 12:44:04

Hi Guys

Phil, haven't seen Tilly in the Kraft video.

Gonzo, thats a lot of poop to pick up. We don't mention Yorkshire Terriers round our Siberian Forest cats. Don't know what one of our Siberians did to next doors Yorkies but all one of our two had to do when the Yorkies were yapping was put his head round the fence corner, look at them and the Yorkies would run into their house quiet as mouses.

Poor Yorkies.

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

Not so bad on the poop, their only small dogs. Not like a few years back when we had only five dogs but they were a 105lb GSD, a Collie, a Tebetan Terrier and the Yorkie mum and dad. Poop aplenty!

Back on thread topic.

Have you tried the ArduinoTx **LINK** I liked the "multi model" option. I hope to use it in an unused Futaba M6.

I've saved Phils sketch to my library but I'm having problems with this one. Any pointers/comments welcome.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Its been a while since I posted but I have been working my brazils off.

First my Model Workshop came, so I had to paint it and move some of my stuff into it. Lets not mention fitting an alarm and decent locks. Picture below, since these were taken I fitted loads of shelves, loads and loads of shelves and I've electrified it as well.

model workshop 1.jpg

Front View above.

model workshop 2.jpg

Build area.

model workshop 3.jpg

Storage area.

Also, we bring home our first new Maine Coon boy in a weeks time so I've had to design, build and fit a 6 ft high double gate and a 6 ft high single gate that are close enough fitting so they can't get under or round them. Picture below, I think I've said we are calling them Phantom and Sabre and Phantom comes home in a weeks time. Sabre comes home a couple of weeks after Phantom. They've got little monkey written all over their little faces.

westlakes phantom & sabre.jpg

Then to cap it all off I've had to make a couple of gadgets for free flight guys I know, no names no pack drill.

I've also been doing a conversion on a DigiFleet XP/FM Classic Five that may have a little of a write up associated with it and a load of pictures. One picture below.

digifleet xpfm.jpg

I also had to get ready for the Royal Air Force Model Aircraft Association (RAFMAA) Annual Champs. Weather wise we were suppose to have 1 good day and 3 crap days. We have 4 great days and made the most of it. At the Champs I got to fly Steve Hollands Bronco (picture below), its my favourite type of model, large and powered by petrol. You have to fly it round on mostly full throttle, it got 62cc motors in it, I reckon 68cc motors would go better but there you go.

I was gonna build one of my kits over the winter months but one of the RAFMAA guys is building the Vailly Aviation 97" span Typhoon. I also have this plan, a spare 80cc petrol motor and a set of suitable retracts so I've challenged him to a build off. I know I build lighter than he does so bring it on. He's gonna buy the wood pack, spinner and fibreglass cowl from Belair and I'm gonna chose my own wood and make a wood cowl. it means I'll have to drive down to SLEC to chose the wood but I prefer to do things that way. It means I can put the right wood in the right place.

I flew my electric Magnatilla loads at the RAFMAA champs using both the modified Futaba M6 and the modified DigiFleet XP/FM. Just like the old days every flight. One of the lads commented "A 70's model with 70's gear and a 70's pilot". Cheeky little monkey.

bronco 3.jpg

So, I've been a little busy.

Oh, and finally, my firm offer from BAE came through so I'm just waiting for a start date before I start my new job. I can't wait to start, all my house jobs, garden jobs, and new cat jobs are done. I can concentrate on my new cats and building models for the Autumn and Winter

And relax.

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

The Fleet looks great Paul, really neat and I'm so envious of your workshop! Looks huge, mind you we're like goldfish, we grow to fill the available space eh! I need a serious clearout, my shed is only 12'x8' and I can barely move in there!

Looking forward to reading the Fleet write-up, any idea yet which issue?

Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil

I haven't finished it or sent Graham a copy to read yet.

As I said, I've been very busy last few weeks, so I have an outline but no draft.

It surprised me how complicated this is to write about. There's electrical, electronic, software and load of other principles involved in this article.

I've got to break that down into easy to follow steps.

As much as I don't want to Phil, I think I'm gonna have to incorporate an auto calibrate routine for the pots. It detracts from the understanding of how the firmware works but it will make it easier for guys to get a transmitter up and running I think. Thanks for that idea.

Will let you know when I hear anything.

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

Posted by Phil Green on 26/05/2014 16:29:52:

Sorry Paul it wasnt meant as criticism, I think its great that these old sets are getting back out onto the flying field where they belong! There were some lovely sets at the Retfords retro do, Orbit and RCS, the retro-refit thing has been going for decades - I started doing the s/c & reeds emulations about 4 years ago with a few propo, but Stu Foster for example has been doing refits much longer than that with 35mhz modules. Stu was the British Aerobatics Champ some time back!

Here are just a few interesting sets converted with new encoders and a Frsky module:

staveley.jpg

frsky_sprengbrook.jpg

futaba_m6.jpg

macg_digimac3_frsky.jpg

skyleader_cub.jpg

os-3-channel-frsky-1.jpg

Also, have you seen the Microstar encoder? its a really comprehensive project, that too has been running for many years and loads of old propo sets have been dragged into the 21st century with a mstar conversion.

Then again, although the Mstar is very clever, its more fun to do it yourself!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 26/05/2014 17:01:53

Posted by Patrick Thieleman on 14/08/2014 05:57:13:
Posted by Phil Green on 26/05/2014 16:29:52:

Sorry Paul it wasnt meant as criticism, I think its great that these old sets are getting back out onto the flying field where they belong! There were some lovely sets at the Retfords retro do, Orbit and RCS, the retro-refit thing has been going for decades - I started doing the s/c & reeds emulations about 4 years ago with a few propo, but Stu Foster for example has been doing refits much longer than that with 35mhz modules. Stu was the British Aerobatics Champ some time back!

Here are just a few interesting sets converted with new encoders and a Frsky module:

staveley.jpg

frsky_sprengbrook.jpg

futaba_m6.jpg

macg_digimac3_frsky.jpg

skyleader_cub.jpg

os-3-channel-frsky-1.jpg

Also, have you seen the Microstar encoder? its a really comprehensive project, that too has been running for many years and loads of old propo sets have been dragged into the 21st century with a mstar conversion.

Then again, although the Mstar is very clever, its more fun to do it yourself!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 26/05/2014 17:01:53

Very nice units, I am still looking for a Kraft or similar TX, Do you guys have anything around.

I also like to build a 1 channel for a vintage electric.

Regards,

Pat

Hi Pat

Kraft sets are not that easy to come by here in the UK.

Heres a selection of stuff I quickly found on e-bay including a single channel set.

OS Cougar

Futaba M

MacGregor

Sometimes you just have to type in "Radio Control Transmitter" into e-bay and scroll through the thousands of entries to find what you want.

Honestly though, a lot of it is about the clean-up.

The newer it looks the more oooh's, aaah's and questions you get down the flying field.

I'm just about to do my 23rd conversion on a Futaba Gold for a friend I've known for 20 years.

Retro is big at the moment.

On the single channel side, I have supplied single channel switched type inards to a few friends to put in cases of their choice. I can let you have the diagrams if you want.

Paul

(AKA Veri-Gash)

Edited By Paul Luby on 14/08/2014 20:14:16