Maddog Designs Hammerhead 620

Tony F

Advert

Andy you shouldn't have to wait too much longer for the 750, as development for this is well underway, here's a sneak preview for you,

I just have the wings to skin,

Canopy mould to make,

Undercarriage mould to make (the tiny U/C in the photo is off the 620 so please don't laugh at it)

The 750 will be supplied with a carbon fibre wing spar so I'm just waiting for a sample of that to be made,

Then there's the engine, it will be a Zenoah, though at this moment in time I am undecided as to which one, 26cc or 30cc?

so depending on workload, fight tests should be done in a few weeks.

Richie

dscn5980.jpg

haha I'm afraid this one will have to be a petrol head version Tony sir, though I have to admit that I was looking at the electric setup a club member had in his f3a pattern ship with interest, until he told me how much it all cost at which point the tight fisted Geordie side of my personality came out and said 'nee way wor'kid stick to what you nah'wink

so I will leave the electric conversion to the experts for now.

Richie

I have to agree with you there sir, and as Tony F and Tony Bennett have shown that both the Hammerhead 620 and Nemesis 62" can be easily converted to electric, I will leave the conversion of the Hammerhead 750 and 75" Nemesis to those who do not suffer from deep pockets and very short arms, as I do wink

Edited By Richie Carey Maddog Designs UK on 13/06/2014 13:27:36

Hi Chris , no not flown it yet as am working til next weekend. Can I just say that this was a real joy to build. It would go together a lot quicker than I took !@! Richie will be on later I'm sure. Have you tried to contact him on his website mate ? Hope you'll do a build log as I'd like to see how others get along with this kit

All the best

Tony

Hi Chris, sadly I wont be attending any of the gatherings (shows, fly-ins) this year due to work load,

The smallest engine I would recommend for the Hammerhead 620 would be a 60. I have a SC61 ABC in one of mine and the model flies well and will perform aerobatics with ease but I think a 53 would really struggle.

I hope this helps

Tony, can't you just pull a sicky so you can get the maiden done wink 2wink 2

Richie

Good day to you all smiley

OK the maiden has been completed on this wonderful model. As some of you may remember my flying field isn't the friendliest place to be on an afternoon so with this in mind I got up early yesterday and took myself down the field at 6 of the am. The weather was perfect and not a dog walker or party pooper to be seen in any direction, the field was mine.

I had no one to film me advise me scare me or help me, perfect I thought. I spent 20 minutes trying my hardest to find something wrong on the pre flight but "Maisie" was good to go. 1 charged up 5s 5000mah lipo put in and everything connected, radio on, plane faced into very light wind and...................problem with pilot. I was very nervous and just couldn't bring myself to push that throttle forward lol

I closed my eyes and gave myself a good talking to, took a very long deep breath and went for it..........faster down the runway, tail up and in a blink the hammerhead was climbing fast........oops too fast !!!!!! I couldn't find the trim switches on my radio because suddenly I had 10 thumbs. I eased the throttle back to half and she just settled, managed to look down and start trimming. Couple of clicks here and there and all seemed good. I didn't have the nerve to really throw her about on her first outing so settled for high gentle circuits, at this time the nose kept trying to drop so added more trim until I heard that dreaded beep...........max up trim.........yikes, nose still dropping.

Visions of a pile of balsa shattered on the floor started creeping into my little brain......I knew immediately what the problem was.......control rod for elevator had come loose and having not flown more than 3 times since last august I knew I was in BIG trouble. I had almost full back stick but she was still coming down. Then I remembered something that happened to me a few years ago with an st models fw190, same thing, the control rod wasn't tightened. I started short aggressive movements with throttle. The more I blipped it the more the nose came up. Hope now replaced my terror. I banked round and approached the field from way out and lined up, blipping the throttle all the way hoping to minimize the damage. I crossed over the threshold and...................my best landing EVER !!!!!

Started checking all fittings and there it was, the nut had come off the servo horn and completely detached, how the.......did I manage to bring it safely down ? Certainly wasn't skill. I must of landed at twice the normal landing speed. OK so I fixed everything as I have spares galore of everything in my flight box.

New lipo in and away I went.............bit of an anti-climax really. Flew like she was on rails with no nasty vices apart from keeping the speed up in turns and the landings are fast but not as fast as the first one.

In summary....... A fantastic build for a beginner and this is highly recommended but I would say some experience with foam low wingers might benefit some pilots. Buy it, you will not be disappointed.

More flying reports to follow when I find my bravado.........lost it about 6.20 yesterday morning lol

All the best

Tony

Edited By Tony F on 22/06/2014 11:46:39

Well done Tony for bringing your Hammerhead back to earth in one piece, I don't think the outcome would have been the same if that had been me flying when the elevator linkage came off, hats off to you young man. I hope your bravado returns soon as I would like to hear more of your thoughts on the models flight performance.smile p

Richie