hanger 9 mustang a trainer?

I know Im still new to this but did I read right? The Hanger 9 Mustang can be used as a trainer? That is what I read from the article by Andy Ellison in this month's mag. He does mention some flying aids - what are they and do they come with the kit? Oh and whazt does the PTS stand for on the mustang?

Advert

Antony

PTS is a Hangar 9 phrase. Progressive trainer system. Grab the March issue where we reviewed the PTS Mustang. It has cip-on leading edge droops and u/c fairings and fixed flaps which all make the Mustang slow and stable on which to learn. It got a good review.
The aid's can be progressively removed as you progress.
They've just released an F-22 Raptor along the same lines.

Yes - Ive taken a look at Hanger's website now and they look pretty good. I wonder if I can persuade the wife to let me get one? I doubt it though considering what Ive spent in the last few days getting all those last items together that I never had at Christmas - like the 12 volt batter and charger - fuel etc. Still I might if I let her buy a few plants over the next few weeks :)

Have never flown a plane before and chose that model to give my instructor something different!not to mention the fact that this is a nice looking plane,and hanger 9 are well respected in our club for build quality.Will be interesting to see how it stands the rigours of training,and what comments my instructor has.build has almost been completed(well put together)hope to be airborn this weekend!will put my novice reveiw in shortly.

HI ANTONY

I HAVE BOUGHT AND FLOWN THE MUSTANG PTS AND IT IS A GREAT BUY, WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I WOULD AGREE WITH THE REVIEW ABOUT THE AIRCRAFT AND I FOUND THE SLOW FLYING ASPECT A BIT WEIRD BUT THE SYSTEM DOES WORK AND REMOVING THE PTS BITS AND PIECES REALLY DOES TRANSFORM THE MODEL INTO A WELL BEHAVED WARBIRD. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• 1 month later...
Many thanks. I wanted to see if the review added any clarification to the printed article which said
"the instructions recommend using JR 537 servos and I was trying to fit Futaba 3003s, which are slightly deeper. To avoid unsightly wear on the upper film surface I simply packed the rear edge of the servo off the mount with a couple of small washers".
As I was intending using Futaba servos myself (3004s), but was unclear (as a novice at even ARTF) where I should attach the washers?

I had the same problem(wing servos rubbing on the covering)didnt want the covers standing proud of the wing so i ground the servo casing slightly!(yes i know its not recommended but it cured a problem)Have still only flown once on the buddy lead,so not a lot to report as yet.Instructor says it flies well,should have no problems learning on it and it looks a nice model,he added it doesnt seem to have any bad flying points(even after a dead stick landing)

• 2 months later...
I'm building a Mustang PTS, and so far I'm very impressed with the quality.
But I've hit a snag.
I'm cutting the fibre-glass cowl to fit over the engine (using an OS 46LA), and I can't think of a way of cutting a hole for the needle vale while being able to get the cowl over the top of it.
Similarly, and more importantly, I can't think of how to get to the fueling hose once the cowl's in place. I've cut a hole for the hose to the exhaust baffle, but the other hose, that feeds the needle vale will all be 'inside' the cowl. How on earth am I supposed to refuel the tank? I'm guessing there's something obvious that all the experienced people know that I don't, but I can't see how to fuel the plane at all.
The supplied instructions, and the review in RCME don't help with this point.
Any clues anybody?
Martyn

Martyn

The normal way to fit a cowl is to unscrew and remove the needle from the valve first, then refit it.

For fuelling you should have a three-pipe tank: one pipe goes to the carb, the other to the silencer for pressuring, the last sticks out somewhere (there are some good fuselage fixings available) for fuelling. You will need to plug the the end of this pipe after fuelling to maintain tank pressure. The best way is with what's called a fuel dot. Available from your friendly model shop.

Cheers
Tony

I've just bought a little valve, which has a port to the (2 pipe) tank, a port to the needle-valve, and a little fitting (which sticks through the cowl) where I can supply the fuel. Not sure the cowl is stiff enough for the force needed to connect the little adapter to the fitting, but we'll see. Looks an ideal solution if I can fit it securely.

• 5 weeks later...
Fuel valve fitted perfectly.
Cowl looks lovely.
First flight last week, all went brilliantly.
Everybody at the field advised me to remove the wheel leg air-brake things 'before' flying, so I did.
Replaced the 'pretty' but mainly useless three bladed prop for a proper one after just one flight.
Only kept the flaps down for one flight, and the NACA droops on for one more flight, then flew it without any of the training aids.
Didn't notice much difference to be honest. Flew beautifully.
Super plane.
Absolutely delighted.

• 1 month later...