2815/09 Brushless Motor Help!

The last thing I need is another model especially as I'm selling up and emigrating but there was this Albatros DVa ARTF kit on eBay and I'd had a few so I bid on it and won it, kidding myself that I needed biplane flying experience prior to committing aviation with my BE2e, a long-term build project. blush

The Albatros is mostly fretted plywood and air, it has a wingspan of 1325mm or 52 inches, a length of 1045mm or 41 inches and it weighs 1.3kg or just under 3 pounds. It requires a 3S Lipo and a 40 Amp speed controller. I have ascertained that the 2200 Lipos I use in my Foamy WOT 4 will fit and I have a new 50 Amp ESC doing nothing so those ends are covered. The recommended propeller is a 12x6.

I have a problem with motor selection. According to the notes which come with the kit, the recommended motor is a "2815/09." I know that motor size is described by the length of the motor followed by the diameter of the motor in millimetres , or is it the other way round, but what does the "09" mean? I have two motors in stock which might suit.

The first one is a KEDA TR2830/22 which has a KV rating of 1050. This motor will fit the structure of the fuselage if mounted on a ply plate to bring it forward a bit.

The second one is an Axi 2820/10 which is physically much larger and heavier than the KEDA and which will not fit into the structure unless I cut out a slot for it.

The third alternative would be for me to buy a 2815 motor. I see that Giant Cod has several in stock with KV ratings from 1100-1500KV.

So what should I do?

Any advice from those with greater knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, electric flight would be appreciated.

Advert

There are 3 versions the E-max 2815/09 with different KVs. IMO the 920KV version Pete links to above is the most suitable. I have one in an OD glider using 9x5 folding blades with a spinner that extends them to 9.75" (effectively a 9.75x5.4 prop). My setup draws 21A using 3s so I'd expect a 12x6 with 3s to draw under the 30A max for this motor.

I have two Emax 2815/09 920kV motors. One in in a Multiplex Funcub and the other in a biplane which is yet to fly, althought the motor have been used in other models.

I run them on 2200 3S 20C batteries using 11x7 propellers. With this setup they peak at a tad under 400 watts.

I would have thought that a 12x6 prop would give similar results - I used the 11x7 to give better ground clearance.

The motors are good and sturdy with a 5mm shaft. However, I have replaced the bearing in both motors as over a couple of years the old ones became really noisy. With new bearings (about £5 a pair) they are now like new.

Cheers GDB