AS3X

this is the stabalisation system that is included in all the new ultra mircro models and for that type of models it make perfect sence.

On another thread a forum member asked about pattern type models. One comment suggested bigger is better as the fly smoother. But bigger is also more expensive, harder to store and transport .

I wondered is I bought a 30e size pattern model and fitted an AS3X receiver it would smooth it out and help it handel the wind better.

Is this a good idea or would the gyros just mask my errors and I will not improve

Edited By Phil 9 on 06/05/2014 10:06:41

I think it's a great idea in a micro - certainly my teeny-weeny Sbach is a hoot ! But, my Inverza doesn't have anything artificial and is absolutely fab and thouroughly recommended - and not hideously expensive.

But yes, you can get Rx's that have AS3X type gyros - nice expensive Spekky ones as well as el-cheapo HobyKing ones. And othesr no doubt. I have a HK one in my PushyCat but actually turned it off as I prefer it without it switched on. I suspect they're good if you have a problem you need to fix ......

My advice, for what it's worth, do without the artificial stabilisation and fly 'properly'

GG

I have one in my UMX Carbon Cub and its fab... I dont see it as an intrusion, but i've already learnt how to fly without..

Basically, if you're new to flying then yes, they are easier and I wouldn't disuade you from going that route, but bare in mind what its doing to your progression..

If you already fly, then I don't see a problem either...

Remember tho, AS3X does NOT recover a plane, but it'll go into the ground smoothly.. wink

If you're dead set on gyro stability, and you are new, check out the Horizon 'Safe' planes, which do help recover..

HTH's..

Luv C.. xx

PS - Just saw you have over 2k posts Phil..! so ignore all my newbie witterings... smiley

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 06/05/2014 19:12:13

Well my UMX Cub, with it sweet ickle flaps, does walking pace flybys and also knife edges, inverted, etc... Dont do infinate vertical, butvit is a Cub...

My Carbon Z Cub is on order, the big Eflite one, so i'll report back on it, with its AS3X, when I get it...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

I've always kept an open mind on this one and got to try the AS3X system by default.

In my experience they seem to take away some of the stick workload in certain manoeuvres such as knife edge and prop hanging, they certainly smooth out some of the bumpy air we fly through.

There's no way I can make multi stick corrections to the model being bounced about anywhere near as quickly and accurately as these clever little computer boxes.

Phil,

I think you would improve your flying, and see a smoother flight with less pronounced adverse wind effect, with FS but remember you still have to initiate and practise manoeuvres.

My experience is with the big E-Flite Carbon Z Cub and I have to say I love it.. Can't speak for the smaller blighters but have just ordered one so can't wait to try it.

John

It will make the biggest difference on a plane that would be too twitchy to fly without it. I have the little Mig and I think that would be very difficult to fly without the AS3X. But if the plane is already quite stable, it will not make much difference. It might help with the smoothness for aerobatics, and I can see some potential arguments coming up in the competitive area. I have played with it on some other planes and unless they really need it you may as well leave it out. It will not prevent things like tip stalls on takeoff if you yank it off the ground too quick. There is a thread here somewhere from a guy who found that a gyro on the rudder was a help in keeping the takeoff straight on a tail dragger.

John

Hi Phil

Yep, that little purple blue and yellow Inverza 280 - fab plane. I've conveniently forgotten the little 'build' niggles and just love the way it flies.

Regards what auto-stabilisation does, yeah it'll even out bumps on bigger models and make them smoother but does that really matter ? Not unless you're going for competition style accuracy ......... but you can't use them there anyway !

I do take the point about gyro in rudders taming tails at take off. Seems sensible but I'd stil prefer to use my digits to actually fly

GG