90 / 100mm EDF units in UK ?

Hi

I've spent the last few evenings looking around for an edf unit to fit my scratch build but can't find a lot in this country (or I'm not looking in the right places!).
Ideally, I'm looking for a unit with an OD of about 102mm to fit the duct nicely.

What brands are available & where can I buy? Can anybody recommend anything? I have a budget of ?200 for fan unit and motor. I'm near Bristol. Thanks Paul

Edited By Paul Turner 2 on 08/05/2014 12:39:51

Advert

Try over on Puffin Models web site, they have the Wemotec Midi fan Evo (90mm). I have two of the smaller (70mm) Mini fan Evos and I can thoroughly recommend them as they're silky smooth, have that muted whistling, whoosh sound and have plenty of power.

Never mind about getting the sound from the fan. Try MrRCsSound system. This is by far the best way to re create the turbine sound. I fitted one of the systems to my Mustang(not turbine sound of course) and was the best thing I ever did. So realistic as it starts up when throttle is opened and sound changes on throttle movement.

Regards Stephen.

I'm not sure if your comment is a bit tongue in cheek, but most EDF models can ill afford the extra weight and complication of a sound system. If the fan anyway gives a near turbine sound why bother, and that's exactly what the Wemotec evo series of fans gives.

Edited By Bill_B on 09/05/2014 01:25:57

brc hobbies do a range of lander fans which maybe heavy but are very reliable had a 68mm one running on 6s for over 3 years and never has signed any sign of wearing out in anyway. they maybe 10 blade but 12 blades are less efficient and 10 is a good comprimise

Edited By Thomas Barwick on 09/05/2014 02:22:55

Like you, I found it hard (impossible actually) to find anything in the UK with more than 7 blades.

Try Rocky Models on ebay.

I purchased two dynamically balanced XPR 70mm 14 blade units with motors from them, and they delivered really quickly, and all for less than £100!

They currently have a choice of 90mm units with 11, 12 or 14 blades, with or without motors.

The only problem is that none have a diameter near the 102mm you require, being in the 94-95mm range.

Hobbyking (UK) have a number of 90 and 120mm fans with 9+ blades. As mentioned before Puffin Models sell the Wemotec Evo Midi (90mm) fans, these are 11 bladed, sound jet like and more importantly are not Amp hungry; both Lander and Change Sun pull a lot more Amps.....bigger lipo, more weight etc... Not good for EDF. I would recommend the Wemotec Evo Midi fans. If the intake FSA is bigger than 90mm, that ok. You just need to make sure the outlet is about 90 to 76mm diameter, depending if you want static trust or higher speed.

If you don't mind me asking, what's it for? Some older designs for 90 and 110mm could fly on today's 90 or even 76mm set ups.

i have 90mm set ups with over 3000w of power in planes originally designed for IC DF units.

Edited By Reno Racer on 09/05/2014 11:48:01

Dear Bill-B. I can assure you my tongue was no where near my cheek when I posted my reply . I was trying to give an alternative to the sound created by the EDF unit . It is not such a crazy idea as you seem to think it is. Sound cards are being used more and more nowadays, they are compact and lightweight , also not complicated at all. I found it quite offensive that you dismissed my thoughts so easily when all I attempted to point out was an another possible route to achieve a realistic turbine sound .I am not so young anymore but I am open to many ideas that are available in today's market place.

Any way enjoy your flying and remember Never say Never.

Stephen.

http://postimg.org/image/jpmhc93g3/

It is for a foam edf Saab Viggen that I am scratch-building. Above is a link to a photo of the hatch section (hatch removed) that allows access to the duct where the fan will mount (nearer the back of the fuse). There is a small lip where the fan will sit up against. The dimension of the duct including lip is 102mm and the lip is 2mm.

I don't want to fit a sound system really - I'm looking for the real deal multi-blade fan unit. Weight is a consideration and I would probably opt for something lighter which didn't need such large lipo's if I could find something suitable which will fit nicely.

Paul

Edited By Paul Turner 2 on 09/05/2014 20:01:52

Apologies Stephen, I didn't mean to offend you at all, but sometimes the written word doesn't quite come across in the same way as face to face dialogue and it was never my intention to dismiss your idea, but point out possible stumbling blocks with the concept.

Taking your suggestion then, I'm guessing to get the volume required for a realistic sound the speakers would have to be fairly large and heavy, and this then could give problems with location and wing loading. Even with today's more powerful motors and lighter batteries wing loading is still an important consideration with EDF jets. Mind you, I suppose something like a multi engined Vulcan might be a suitable candidate for sound system experimentation due to it's large delta wing.

Dear Bill-B thanks for the kind words and I appreciate all you say. Just one last point. There are some new developments in the speaker world too. There is a new system just developed by Mr RCSound whereby the sound is amplified by the airframe of the model particularly when it is made of foam.They are sound transducers and are light weight. Check out the MrRCFlying YouTube site and this will all become clear. There is still some weight involved but with careful mounting ie on the CofG it works very well.

Best regards to you Stephen.  Here is a link http://youtu.be/-B8gsPTzm8w

Edited By stephen mcfarland on 13/05/2014 21:07:05

Edited By stephen mcfarland on 13/05/2014 21:16:07

Edited By stephen mcfarland on 13/05/2014 21:37:26

Hi Paul

I have been looking at these too, and found this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viper-90mm-11-Blades-Ducted-Fan-Unit-for-KV1450-To-KV1120-Brushless-Motors-/271485403639?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3f35ca81f7

its a 90MM 11 Blade..

Thanks

Edited By Kill3r on 14/05/2014 12:29:59