96" Hawker Hurricane Electric build

Afternoon.

Well got a little more done on the build over the past week or so. Had been chance to get some work done on the wing as the fuselage is to a point.

skinpartial.jpg

topskin.jpg

Interesting skinning a wing in large pieces, rather than 4" wide balsa or normal coverings, but enjoyed it and got OK results. Need to come up with a better way of spreading UHU Por (index finger gets sore)

Also added the foam tips.

foamtipblueheld.jpg

foamtipblue.jpg

Next was to make another set of ailerons, never been 100% happy with fit/look or function of the first couple of attempts, so here's Mk4

alrmk4.jpg

alrmk4skin.jpg

alrmk4fixed.jpg

I do have a short video of them working on the servo tester, but I have no idea how to put into the build log sad

After a little sanding and filler, paint was added.

brownadded.jpg

So coming together OK and progress is slow but it's progress.

togetherbench.jpg

frontskirtbench.jpg

next little project will be the fairings between the wing and fuselage.

wingseatfait.jpg

That's about it for now and upto date I think.

Charles

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Evening

Just a quick update to show things are still moving along. Always the little jobs that seem to take an age to get done !

First job was to finish the underside of the wing tips, I used blue foam on the top but decided to use 3mm depron on the underside. So added filets to the tips.

undertips.jpg

And then skinned in 3mm depron.

undertips2.jpg

Next job was to sort out the trailing edge of the wing Centre section, this area will get a little knocked when putting the wing on and off, so a strip of hard balsa was added .

trailingedge.jpg

Next job, to sort out the retracts and finally fix them in place, I needed to add some depron to form "wells" for the legs to drop into.

retarctwells.jpg

Once glued and set, sanded down to match the wing sheeting.

retarctwells2.jpg

Next job was to glue in some supports from the fuselage to the wing seat plate ready to allow some 3mm depron to form the fairings.

fairings1.jpg

Next was to skin the area, I chose grey 3mm depron as per Roy's spitfire. Now I will admit to really struggling with this part of the build, infact I almost put the whole thing aside for a while. I just could not get the depron to fit anywhere near. I made numerous templates from thick paper but nothing seemed to fit, too many complex curves, I think this is where experience with deprom shows, it took Roy a mere 5mins to produce a well fitting fairing.

fairings2.jpg

I have now started work on the air scoop/intake for the wing underside.

cooler1.jpg

cooler2.jpg

The finished part will be covered in 3mm depron and will house the wing bolts.

That's it for now

Charles

Well that has been a very interesting day !

With Roy nearly ready for the maiden on the C130, and him mentioning that I too was close, I decided to have an hour or so before work this morning. First job was to sort out the battery tray of some sort, now knowing that some nose weight was going to be required and fashioned a 9mm plywood insert and battery tray to carry the 6s 4500mah lipo and 6V Sub C 3300mah Rx Pack.

batterytray1.jpg

The idea being a the battery tray would lip under the insert and be then held in place with a clip of some sort.

batterytray2.jpg

batterytray3.jpg

Once all that was sorted and glued in place, it was time to assemble the model and drop onto Roy's nearly patented CG machine.

If I said my heart sank, I would be lying, the world seemed to fall out of somewhere, I was left feeling a little cold. The Hurricane was going to need around a kilo adding to the front end (GULP) yes a bag of sugar was going to be needed to balance this thing. Now both Roy and I know some models can be converted to electric from glow without too many problems with CG, and others can't, but this is bigger than either us have tackled. So open fuselage surgery was needed.

surg1.jpg

surg2.jpg

Now being late in the afternoon, it was time to start hunting around to find some ballast.

nail1.jpg

Ideal ! a 4" nail

nail2.jpg

OK more like a bag of them.

nailinplace.jpg

A depron box was made just behind the firewall, with a little bit of PU glue for good measure, the whole bag of nails was added into the cavity.

Time to reconstruct the model.

const1.jpg

const2.jpg

A little filler and some paint you won't know ! apart from the added weight.

And back onto the CG machine and

balanced.jpg

Just a case of adding the Rx and setting up the servo's and the maiden is very close.

Edited By Pilot_Chuckle on 23/08/2014 20:35:56

• 1 month later...

She flew and flew well! No more encouragement required to get this one finished now. Absolutely planted! - Nice job Charles! Shame the weather wasn't too good for photographs - dull and overcast. Look forward to photographing her when complete and hopefully, blue skies. Maybe we can get one or two shots of the Hurricane and Spitfire together.

hurricane maiden1.jpghurricane maiden.jpg

hurricane maiden2.jpghurricane maiden4.jpg

hurricane maiden3.jpg

Regards

Roy