powered hang glider

Hi everyone,

just thought id share my new project with you all,
I had a few projects in mind when making the microlight, one of them being a powered hang glider the other just being a normal hang glider!
the latter shouldn't be a problem after getting the powered one flying properly as theres no torque effect from the motor to worry about.

it will be made scale after the testing, so adding head, arms and the 'sleeping bag' as I call it! lol

its showing real promise and flies lovely in a straight line, super stable!
I have a few things to work on to get it steering nice though,
the servos I had were too small (micros) so the servo arms too short and fragile,
also theyre a little underpowered but I knew that before I started, I just wanted to test it desperately so threw them on lol

It will steer when straight and level doing moderate banks but if the bank angle gets too much the servos haven't got the power to shift the weight back to the other side so continues to bank until the inevitable happens!
good news is it crashes even better than the microlight because of the lack of inertia, its a lot lighter than the trike.

the trike and hang glider are interchangeable so just unbolt one and put the other on and off you go!

It flies extremely slow and will lift out of your hand at a brisk walking pace, a few steps if a slight head wind.
the lightweight means it will glide a lot better than the microlight, although that doesn't glide too bad either

could do with a smaller prop than the one I was using as it just has way too much thrust and using less than half throttle.

ill get some new mini servos fitted in the next few days and go test again smiley

mark

mark675's rc powered hang glider album on Photobucket

Edited By mark hadden on 17/05/2014 12:19:13

Advert

Well last nights flight went very well considering just how dark it was!
The camera man did a great job as I nearly lost it myself a couple of times!

I was just so desperate to get it out and see what it flew like lol

well the good news is it flies!
Abit less good news is it didnt fly as I wanted it to and needs some setup,
This isnt a problem though and I know that its just the servo springs that need adjusting to move the pilot rearwards.

stability in a straight line was good when on the prop but when shut off it would dive, again this is due to the pilot being too far forwards.

The prop also needs changing after I hit a small bush that I didnt see on the first flight and crashed it lol
The blade was tweeked slightly so made abit of a noise! :rolleyes::D

anyway, enjoy this very dark video lol
You can make it out when it goes into the 'lighter' part of the sky :D

mark

Edited By mark hadden on 22/05/2014 07:31:04

Lol I know what you mean!
I had a few close calls when lost orientation and increased the bank instead of levelling off!

Ill get sone close up pics asap for you,
The layout is as simple as simple gets,
The hardest part (as with the microlight) was the wing.

mark

Hello Mark,

I've been reading your various posts with great interest . My nearest foray to your "Microlight" was the old Kyosho weight shift affair from the early 90's (Skyflex?) and prior to that the Robbe "Drakken?" I have both somewhere in the depths of my attic!

It would be great if you could persuade Mr Ashby (or vice-versa)to get you to produce a plan and article on both.

I did read your "deleted" post on the other thread and leave you with those comforting thought that "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"

Keep up the good work.

Thankyou tom,
That guy has been a thorn in my side since I finished this project but what you say is correct so thanks

The old skyflex is a lovely calm weather flyer isnt it,
after I finished mine I got abit of a collection of microlights together and got hold of a few electric conversion skyflex v's and a skyflex 2000 electric I just love them! They fly so different to my one but in calm weather are so relaxing.

Maybe of interest to you, I also got a few ripmax discoverers,
they flew great but were really underpowered with the old brushed motors and nimh batteries and took forever to get any decent altitude,
also the wings were easily torn so ive built a modernised brushless/lipo/2.4ghz version with a ripstop sail and depron modern shaped trike
I should be test flying it in the next few weeks so ill share the video when I do

Id love to do plans for everyone the trouble is that ive made mine with an engineering mind and made alot of the titanium brackets etc on cnc wire eroder and manual lathes and millers so direct plans would be of little use,

A guy in australia on rc groups made a version of it using modelling techniques and I just provided him with dimensions and a few explanations so it can be done that way and still fly great.
im sure with you guys being experienced modellers then it wouldn't be a problem at all

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your post. Hopefully the RCME will approach you in due course.

I did start making an R/C microlight (there were some plans floating about some 20 plus years ago) but other matters cropped up and the project was shelved.

I found my old skyflex last night and have just ordered from Giant shark/cod motor/esc. Sails look ok but would like to try and replace these. (Our old kite shop has long gone) Any idea where I can buy suitable material?

Yes Rich I did see he was lurking lol

I got my material from highwaymenkites.co.uk
its great quality ripstop with really bright colours, some of the other places ive ordered from have been really faint especially the fluorescent colours so probably your best bet

Mark

Edited By mark hadden on 24/05/2014 20:37:19

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to test it again last night,
after a few flights of being very roll unstable I adjusted the 'springs' and I had a good couple of lovely relaxing flights with good all round stability,
even managed to film whilst flying!

I still need to work on the gliding ability though,
it flies lovely when 'on the prop' but when shut off it does have abit of a nose down attitude and dive,
meant to be good weather this week so I will work on this

one thing I did notice is after some of the bumps the crossbar has worked its way forwards and increased the billow in the sail so I will tighten this back up for the next flight which should reduce drag.

mark