Multiplex Acromaster

Advert

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

p1090585.jpgp1090584.jpgp1090583.jpgNot sure whether to add to this old thread or start another, or see if anyone comments on Nigel Hawes' article in June 2015 RCME. Anyway, Nigel's article prompted me to share photos of my 7 year old 317 flight AM.

My AM nose came off in the same circumstances after 86 flights. I made a ply mount as suggested on RC Groups.

After 150 flights, it belly flopped and broke the fuselage. Some Zacki, plastic drawer runners on the outside, and tape, have held it together for 167 more flights and it's sill going strong (ish). Rather than Nigel's method of gluing the nose back on, I cut and taped some milk cartons. Bodge or ingenious solution?!p1090580.jpg

I absolutely love my Acromaster. It is my go to plane no matter what and always seems to find space in the car when going to the field.

She has completed 197 sorties to date and I'm hoping to hit the 200 mark this coming weekend. Flies just as good as ever and never misses a beat. I fitted mine out with some basic servos, an emax motor and some no name generic 40A ESC and they're still doing the business.

If overpowered the nose is prone to cause/allow serious vibration to develop which gives rise to the now infamous and well reported "Moo" sound. The other weak point is the dodgy landing gear and elapor wheels which don't suit a hard asphalt strip.I replaced the original mpx unit with a cheap aluminium unit screwed to the underside (reinforced) and added foam wheels. It's less bouncy now and easier to control when landing. However, the underside of the fuselage is now begining to show some stress and I will need to do a major reworking of the attachment in the very near future.

Despite the above little niggles I've been more than delighted with the AM. In fact, I would love a bigger version which retained the same wonderful flying characteristics, whether in foam or balsa.

Anyone know of such a model?

Steve.