Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Advert

Couldn't resist adding just a little more detail.

1153 (large).jpg

The nut and bolt are 16BA hex head, and the strap is fully functional, made from .3mm litho plate, the nut is tight and the strap doesn't move a bit Once it is all painted and ready a block will support the end of the tube. I think this should help with any vibrations that may occur with such a long unsupported overhanging tube..... fingers crossed.

A question for you IC guys, can you add this level of detail with all the vibrations?

Cheers

Danny

Thx CS, I didn't mean functional, I just wondered if it would survive

I will leave the IC engines to those that can keep em purring, beyond me I am afraid I went dead stick three times during my A test many moons ago, that was my last effort with glow motors. Diesels I like

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin, 2.32mm which equates to 3/32nd It looked about right, I didn't have a measurement so just guesstimated The strap is perhaps a little narrow again it was by mk1 eyeball.

I had to use tweezers to do that nut up! and as for starting the thread, it went on first try, I am not going to undo it to see if it was just luck

I have done the zips under the wing not really happy with them, they may all get ripped off and some other method tried, will stew on it, while I make the two VHF antenna and the pitot tube.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/07/2015 11:06:54

Moved on to the Pitot tube as it is very prominent. This will slide into place and rely on friction to retain it, If it becomes loose then a smear of aquarium sealant will put the friction back. This is one of those items that will probably get broken off a few times unfortunately....

1174 (large).jpg

Simply made from a few bits of differing sized alloy tubes, stuck together with thin CA and a bit of filler to blend things together. Just need to do the mounting plate and sink two alloy tubes in the wing. Those of you that haven't covered your wings yet here's a tip, mount the tubes first I am going to have to dig through the Solartex and find a rib to position and attach the mounting tubes against

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

chipmunk.jpgDanny Fenton,

A super thread, full of good information that can cross over to other projects. I have joined the happy band of Chipmonkeys and I'm just waiting for the wood pack to arrive. This will be my second d.b.Chipmunk. The first was totally scratch built, but I managed to collide with a high piece of solid ground (the flying field) so this is a good excuse to build another one .Attached is a photo of WB588 before said incident.

As a possible tip for those that mold their own canopies from clear sheet over a wooden plug, if you mold a second one from white Plasticard or similar materiel this can then become the dummy framing .

Well Happy Chipping

Mike

Hi Chaps, sorry Mike I missed your post, that's a lovely looking Chippy And welcome to the build

Yes the styrene additional canopy to create a frame works very well, either that or a frame of fibreglass over the clear, isolated with cling film works, but is more work

Have you seen Martin's Chippy in silver and dayglo? it looks wonderful, and he has set a very high standard indeed! He has inspired me to get cracking!

Returning from a good holiday has meant I have struggled to get back into the groove, but finally I got some more detailing done. I thought I would tackle a small job just to feel my way back slowly.

1182 (large).jpg

1184 (large).jpg

The dial face is just placed in position for now, it will get fitted more permanently after painting the wing.

Cheers

Danny

Managed to make a light and cut and line the wing tip. Not up to Martins Standard unfortunately but it will suffice I think

I used foil as Martin did, but made it 3 layers thick and rolled the light on a coarse metal file to get the indents, it nearly worked. Might try again on the blue lamp but with a finer file

1187 (large).jpg

1191 (large).jpg

1193 (large).jpg

Starboard light next

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

Good to see you back on the build, super detailing on the fuel filler points. Had a go at those myself but nothing like as good as yours so i wont be showing them, your nav lights also look the business.

I'm wondering if one of those plotters you have is within the scope of going on the Christmas wish list smiley

I like the stall strips - do you reckon they will have a scale aerodynamic effect too ???

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin, I think the stall strips give a buffeting effect through the column to warn of the stall, not sure that will be felt on the Tx sticks

The plotter is quite old now, it's a Graphtec Craft Robo CC200-20, I think I got it in 2009, and it most definitely doesn't owe me anything I think Lindsay Todd has the same one.

Cheers

Danny