Beginners help!!!

Glyn44

Hello to all,

My name is Glyn. I am very new to this hobby, but I am learning to fly ok. I am try to build a micro model(StevensAero - Sweetdream) I am having some difficulty with my assembly sticking itself to my work surface when I apply the CA adhesive.

i just wondered what the correct procedure is. Should I rest the assembly on a light paper sheet and then try to remove the paper from the surrounding joint area afterwards. I would be very pleased to hear from you before I continue any further.

kind regards, Glyn

Advert

Hi Glynn. The usual trick is to place a sheet of plastic - cling film will do, between the plan and the model being built. This usally works although if too generous with the cyano it will seep through any pin holes in the plastic and still stick to the board. Try keeping the use of cyano to the minimum necessary amount also helps. I'm sure others will come and give you their personal tips soon.

John

Glyn,

A very important thing to remember when working with CA is to make sure you have adequate ventilation.

I sometimes use a small electric fan to move the air in the "work zone" when doing larger jobs.

I've also used waxed paper placed over a plan when building .

Good luck with your project, let's see some pics.

Take care, chat later,

Jim

I use that protect-a-plan from balsa cabin...

Very cheap, very effective...

PROTECT-A-PLAN

EXCLUSIVE TO THE BALSA CABIN
Use to cover your valuable plans and building boards when building.

Sheets can be used time and time again as glues do not adhere to its transparent surface, NOT EVEN CYANO.
ENOUGH TO COVER TWO FULL SIZE PLANS
£1.95

Hi Glyn, nice name, same as my late Dad's. Welcome to the forum lots of help here, no question is too daft LoL. I second Delray's quote, on ventilation when using CA. If you have no fan try and work outside. Some people are very allergic to the fumes, at least running nose and eyes, at most a respiratory problem. Don't let this put you off building, its a great side of the hobby. Cheers

A big thanks to all of you.

I will try out the suggestions. I think I will also buy some medium CA. I am using thin, and even the smallest drop I can apply tends to be excessive sometimes and can run onto my build mat. So I will press on and see how I progress.

i have not noticed any adverse effects from fumes, but I am only using a small amount. In fact I have adhered less than 10 joints so far. I'm in no rush! I will post pics when I have something to show.

thanks again,

Glyn.