Latest OpenTx

Haha! BEB, I never mentioned Taranis specifically? Who did I condemn? I was talking generally about software updates. I have a pet hate of them, whomever writes them. Take mobile phones, some people are obsessed with having the latest updates on them, I just want a phone to make calls, send texts and emails - I don't want all the bells and whistles. if it ain't broke......

The previous views that I have muted in regards to Taranis were in response/reference to the sweeping statements/judgements that you made in the FrSky revolution thread. the death of Futaba et al.

I have genuinely tried to learn more about open source software since your original thread, googled it and read up on it. I have to admit I have gone round in circles and still don't understand the economics of it. as far as I can tell there is one main contributor to the Taranis software team (no?), what happens if he stops writing the software, who takes over?

I just disagree with ya, that's all. touché BEB, touché.wink

So breath will have to remain baited I'm afraid.

Rich

ps it was the tone of your response to CS that prompted my post

Edited By Rich2 on 28/05/2014 15:34:17

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 28/05/2014 11:42:01:

Seems it's getting close now.

opentx.jpg

Looks good too, with many things made clearer.

opentx1.jpg

That does look better!

It hadn't occurred to me that Companion would have an accompanying update. I may have got the wrong end of the stick but am under the impression that OpenTX 2 will negate the need for Zadig during the update but it will still need to be used for the update from OpenTX1 to OpenTX2.

Now I am being a bit lazy here and could probably do the research myself but what is Zadig and is it easy to use? It's been one of the reasons I've refrained from doing the minor updates, I would kinda like to do it once following step by step instructions and then forget all about it!

Chris

Well I can help you there Chris! As I did my update last night so its all nice and fresh in my mind!

I found I did need Zadig - Zadig is just a program that loads USB drivers and you have to have the right one loaded or it ain't going to work!

So first of all go here and download Zadig

Then go here and follow Kilrah's instructions in the 5th post where he shows loading the right USB driver from Zadig.

Once you have that and the driver says its installed, open C9X, then plug in your Taranis switched off, so this is different from when you are just transferring programming and its switch on when you connect.

Go to Preferences in C9X and make sure Firmware is set to "OpenTx for FrSky Taranis" then download the latest version and store it somewhere on your PC.

Go to the icon bar at the top, select "read flash memory" (Tx with a green arrow on it). Save the current flash memory on your PC - as a back up just in case!

Then select "write flash memory" (a TX with a red flame on it), in the dialogue box select the file you have downloaded and away you go. Only takes a couple of seconds. It was fine for me - once I'd twigged the Zadig thing!

BEB

Thanks BEB, still not sure I'll bother before OpenTX 2 is released but it sounds simple enough and once done you won't need Zadig again as you'll be able to boot from the SD card.

I have though put on a different Voice and picture package, a lot more model images and I now have Amber, (very sexy voice) say "Mmmm, you turn me on" everytime I flick the on switch. There are also many more voice alerts that are much clearer than the stock ones as well as the odd "funny". If anyone's interested let me know and I'll see if I can find the link.

Never mind it's here

Edited By Chris Jones 7 on 28/05/2014 17:53:43

Has anyone actually gone to V2.0 yet. I'd very much like to but would rather like to see some instructions first.

Has anyone seen these?

I've read that the way to connect USB is different afterward and the use of words like "bootloader" etc.
As soon as I'm happy that I understand how to get back to the version I have now, I'll have a go.

Because Taranis is a radio system and this is a Radio Controlled flying site. And as such it has sections devoted to Futaba (300+ threads), Specktrum (500+ threads), FrSky (approx. 30 threads) and other systems.

As Taranis is made by FrSky it is entirely appropriate to discuss it here. Why should it move? If the other radio brands are less active on here at the moment that is no reason why this should be curtailed?

BEB

Thanks BEB, that's what I was after.

OK having installed OpenTxcompanion (the replacement for companion9x) it seems to have left companion9x intact and useable, but has copied my Tx settings from it thumbs up.

I've backed up my eepes and my Tx firmware using companion9x.

Using OpenTxcompanion, I've upgraded the Tx in the same manner as I've done in the past and everything has been very straightforward.

Switching on the Tx, it tells me that the model memory is an old version. I pressed a button as instructed and it updated it, in the Tx. After that completed, the model worked just as before.

to be continued...

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/06/2014 11:26:01

Next - Connecting Tx to PC has changed.

With V2:-
Connect USB with Tx switched off. This puts you in Firmware transfer mode.
Connect USB with Tx already switched on. The Taranis is now a USB Joystick for the PC. A new driver has to be installed, and this is accomplished easily with Zadig (see posts above, Zadig is a stand alone .exe that assists driver installation).

So now we need a method to connect, so we can transfer files to and from the Taranis. eepe files, log files, sounds, model graphics etc.

To do this, we now have to switch on Taranis while holding Ail and Rud trims towards the on off switch. Then we plug in the USB cable.

openTxcompanion kindly gives us a prompt if we haven't done this.

no taranis found.jpg

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 03/06/2014 11:42:43

Upgraded mine to v2 today.. Note that the upgrade also upgrades your model configuration files - always a risk that could go pear shaped as that is one area that cannot be exhaustively tested.

The upgrade was straightforward - naming conventions and the user interface is better but...

I appear to have lost my splash screen and sounds. The sounds are still in the firmware (or at least visible on the memory card) but I can't select them for any functions. Probably a luser error - I am still investigating

Martyn

OK I'm now at V2. All seemed to go very smoothly. The only slight thing is the fact that my failsafe settings seem to have reverted to "hold" instead of "custom". Just reset them.

All else seems fine so far - but haven't had a chance to try on a model yet - simulations all seem to be working as they should.

BEB

I've just updated and although getting the firmware to load required the USB driver to be reloaded, thanks BEB, it went smoothly and now working without any obvious issues. Some name changes in menus, one less menu and overall this is another step up the ladder as the big manufacturers get left even further behind.