Latest OpenTx

I'm curious to know what proportion of Taranis users are keeping their OpenTx firmware up to date? If so you should be at r2940. I must admit that I haven't done this yet, as 2940 was released I think on 14 Feb 2014 and I bought my Taranis before that! But I am planning to do an update and I wondered if everyone else was already up with this and I was being slow - as usual some would say smile - or if only some doing updates etc.

Of course with OpenTx-V2 around the corner this question becomes even more pressing!

BEB

No CSB. It is a thread in the FrSky area of the forum - discussing updating FrSky transmitters - in this case the Taranis.

If you go to the "All Forum Topics" page you will find that there is:

A Futaba area here (with 403 threads) where you can create threads about Futaba transmitters

A Specktrum area here (with 587 threads) were you can create threads about Spektrum equipment.

But if you take the trouble to look at the top of this page you'll see that this is the FrSky area (so far with just 35 threads sad - but we are growing and have ambitions!) Here we can create threads about FrSky equipment such as Taranis. I trust this is OK with you?

BEB

I've had my Taranis since the end of October but just updated to r2940 yesterday. Mainly because I want to be ready for v2.0. I was little nervous about the procedure - just because of posts I had read where people had problems, but it all went very smoothly. I just love what this kit is capable of.

Yes I am in a similar position. I suspect that updating to V2 will be easier if you are already at the latest revision of version 1. I too am always a bit nervous doing this sort of update - there is a tiny fear that its all going to go horribly wrong when I press the wrong button by mistake at a critical point! Hence why I thought I'd ask. Nice to know I'm not the only "scaredy cat"

BEB

Posted by J V R on 27/05/2014 13:03:55:

Hi Chris

How do you make the Taranis display your name?? I would like to personalise my TX.......

Hi JVR

You need to make a picture file, 128 x 64 pixels and save it as a .png file.

Something like the centre part of this.
chrissplash1.jpg

Then, while you update the firmware (or at least using the same process) choose the .png file while in the process.

burn firmwars.jpg

I tried to update mine but on doing so somehow lost all my voice prompts, which magically re-appeared on reverting to the original F/W. I haven't had the time or inclination to investigate this further. Nothing else was affected just voice, very odd.

Andrew,

Have a look here. The information you want is on post 20847. You will need a FUC3 cable, I got mine from T9, and I made the S Port converter cable myself using a bit of veroboard and a diode then heat shrank the lot but you can also buy it from T9. You can download firmware files for most FrSky products. Give me a shout if you get stuck, but as I said, following the instructions worked for me.

Ok CSB, this is revision 2940, of version 1, of OpenTx, that doesn't necessarily mean that there have been 2,940 revisions but there have been very many. I don't know exactly how many revisions there have been, because when you buy a Taranis you "come in" somewhere along the path, but its quite a few.

The development team are very responsive and us - "ordinary users" can talk to them on the OpenTx forum! So all the thousands of users are able to notify about any tiny bugs they have found. All software contains bugs - this sort of heavily subscribed Open Source software is probably more bug free than most commercial software, simply because of mass reporting, excellent communications with the developers and fast action being taken on those reports, are such a features of the system. In this dialogue you can even to ask for new facilities - and there is a sort of "official" wish-list for new features.

Periodically these "bug fixes" and new features are released as a new revision. How often does this happen? Well it depends on where in it life cycle the Version is. When the version is very new, its probably every couple of days and a lot of ordinary uses, like me, would probably wait a week of two until the new version settles down. Once the version is settled its about once every six weeks.

Version 1 is now nearing the end of its life, so there have not been any revisions since r2940 was released on 2nd Feb 2014. They will be holding back any more new features and bug fixes now, preparing for the release of Version 2 which is expected very soon.

If you want to see a history of what previous revisions, including this one, did - look here.

Some people will not bother to update revisions - preferring to only update at a major version change - unless there is a bug fix they specifically want - this is what Bob is saying above is his position. I started the thread because I was thinking of updating - and was wondering if most of the community was like Bob - or were they all beavering away keeping up to date? Its a bit of an unrepresentative situation at the moment because of us not having a revision since Feb - it will be more interesting to do this again perhaps in six months - when presumably V2 will be well settled in and the 6 weekly release of new revisions recommences.

So, this revision is mainly about relatively obscure bug fixes. But Version 2 - as I say due out very soon - will offer masses of new facilities. I want to be up to date with the latest revision of Version 1, so that going to Version 2 will be easier.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/05/2014 18:24:21

Posted by Concorde Speedbird on 27/05/2014 17:00:55:

I trust this is OK with you?

BEB

That's fine, just a little confused initially. So what does this updated version have that the old one didn't?

CS

CS - it's like any modern electronic equipment (mobile phones, pc's etc) they work perfectly fine and then some bright spark brings out an update and what do you know? the damn thing stops working.

I avoid updates of anything like the plague.

jmho - of course.

Rich

Of course the other reason to update is that the radio manufacturer brings out a new telemetry sensor or other device and the software needs an update to fully access it's features. Plus with user feedback they often improve the user interface to make the features more accessible as well as including any bug fixes.

I don't have a Taranis but have updated several Multiplex Tx's and Rx's, Futaba Tx and Graupner Hott Tx and by following the instructions all went seamlessly, I don't see what the issue is with doing an update, with modern electronic devices it's pretty much par for the course.

there can be lots of issues Frank. for instance if we let our pc's at work run windows updates automatically, our work software doesn't work - because it doesn't like the latest versions of IE.

I only ever run critical updates. I NEVER update the software on my phone or anything that works perfectly already ...

I guess if you want to add a different function that's different.

Rich

CS - it's like any modern electronic equipment (mobile phones, pc's etc) they work perfectly fine and then some bright spark brings out an update and what do you know? the damn thing stops working.

OK Rich, so what exact experience of Taranis is this view based on? After all its a pretty condemning indictment of the OpenTx programming team, so I'd like to hear on what evidence or personal experience of their work this is based. Come on Rich give us the benefit of that extensive experience of Taranis which underpins your willingness to express a view on just about every aspect of it. We're waiting with baited breath!

BEB