Latest OpenTx

Posted by Martyn K on 03/06/2014 16:38:31:

PS - what is the difference between OpenTX for FrSky Taranis and OpenTx for FrSky Taranis Plus... (in the Radio Type)?

Martyn

Sorry Martyn this one got sort of overlooked in all the excitement about V2 and us all having our heads down!

Taranis Plus (I think) is the slightly later model that includes:

1. The new smooth sliders

2. The 8 position (I think) fixed notch pot.

3. The haptic feedback

I notice that when selecting the build for your V2 update you get the basic set and you are asked if you want to add haptic etc. Presumably if you select Taranis Plus then you get these extra software support elements by default and have to de-select them if you don't want them rather than actively select them if you do.

Note - don't feel you have "missed the boat" by the way with Taranis Plus - all those extras are available for retro fitting to a "standard" Taranis (if that's not a contradiction in terms!) at low cost. Personally I have only gone for the smooth sliders at this point. I don't think I'll be adding the other two. The modified pot would be handy if you made a lot of use of flight modes - I don't really - and I don't really fancy the haptic feedback, I'm happy with the voice!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/06/2014 10:19:20

Cheers BEB

I am not worried about keeping up with Jones - especially as I can upgrade if I want to anyway..

So far I have reversed my side sliders and the 'trainer' switch - now press down to activate - and I am just waiting to 'maiden' a new model and new radio gear at the same time.. Hopefully, this week.

I am now getting to used to the programming although I am struggling to understand what you would use different flight modes for. Once I get past that hurdle, then I can consider how I will program them. It's also a bit of a challenge learning to program with and without a PC - this should not be seen as a problem, having the OPTION of a PC is a real bonus - especially as I can model my programming in advance.

On the down side, the only thing I don't like about the Tx .

There are too many 3 position switches. I appreciate that this gives flexibility, but when I am flying and I want a simple on/off function and not worry whether I have miss-clicked the switch. 3 position switches (I think) should have long levers so you easily differentiate the position without having to take your eyes off the model. I may change some of my switches to 2 position if I cant get on with it.

Apart from that niggle, I am getting more and more impressed with it..

Martyn

Flight Modes? Well as I say I don't use them a lot - the glider guiders are very keen on them. I'm sure that there are many uses - and more will occur as we go along - but the basic use is the following:

When you want different set ups for different flight regimes. Most commonly if you want different trim settings. So if you had a powered glider for example, you might want a very different set of trims for:

1. Launch and climb out under full power

2. X-Country gliding - a configuration to maximise distance covered under no power

3. An "In thermal" mode designed to make staying in the thermal and maximising the lift

4. An approach and landing configuration with trims set for flaps and spoilers etc.

In each of these cases the basic set up of the model might be completely different as regards the state of trim. You could set them as 4 distinct flight modes and switch between then as appropriate ensuring that your model was always optimally trimmed for the task in hand.

But in principle Taranis takes it beyond this - so for example you could have a switch that has one function in one flight mode - but a different function in a different mode - could be confusing, but you can do it! One use might be to stop accidental deployment of a retractable U/C in flight - the switch might only be active in a "Take-Off/Landing" flight mode. You can have a curve active in one mode, but not in another - so separate the use of flaps as lift enhancers from their use as air-brakes for instance. Lots of possibilities.

BEB

PS I agree about the switches. 3-ways are great, but I'd probably have been happier with at least one or two more 2-ways. I allocate SF (the only two way) to engine disable. So retracts have to go on a 3-way! But by using the "not switch set" programming feature I can have it some the U/C retracts in two of the three positions!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/06/2014 11:23:16

Ah... thanks - I suspected that is what it may be used for but never really considered the possibilities. I have a powered glider that needs a handful of down when its going vertically up - its is over powered, I was planning to mix down in with throttle but that would be another way of doing things.

Just noticed the thread title and I have managed to go way off topic... thanks

Martyn

It does sound like RF breakthrough into the audio stage then WF.

I can't see how a firmware upgrade would do that. The processor speed has increased, not sure that would make any difference?

I have seen some threads about early Taranii, where things like moving internal cables around helped. But I'm pretty sure that was sorted quickly in manufacturing.

I now need to understand and probably utilise the new scripting capability, which I image could be very powerful if a sequence of commands can be programmed for execution in some predetermined sequence or time.

Ideas so-far:

Yesterday I was flying and inadvertely switched off the motor - I have switch SF as my motor arming function, the switch above was my altimeter report, so I got the wrong switch because I did not look down. Now using a continuous LUA Script, I can see how to disable my inadvert motor switch off mistake in-flight by reading an altitude greater than 0 and timer-1 less than its starting point of say 10-mins to disable a motor turn-off, perhaps give a voice warning to prompt to switch it back on and prevent me from going dead stick when I lease expect it!

I may have a go at a slow or flick-roll routine too - because I can no other reason.

We have to keep pushing the boundaries otherwise the hobby will standstill. Yes it's all about flying and skills, but this new technology gets more people into the hobby in my opinion by offering an avenue for the geaks and techno's - and I think I is one...

I've just printed out the LUA manual and have a ~25mm high wad of paper in front of me. It's certainly comprehensive and I presume versatile add-on, I can now see whay it has been included; this is probably going to set apart the OpenTx movement from the big-4.>>

I just download the Futaba 18MZ manual and can see no equivalent functions, so yes this is probably unique (selling point) in the Tx market, I wonder what the big-4 will say to themselves now >>

Once LUA functions start to get going, I can see growth in this area.>>

Anyone who has loaded 2.0.1 - do you have menu 12 Custom Scripts - I don't !

I have reload the firmware, tried a restore and reload to no avail, plus I still have to use both switches pressed in to get to the boot loader, release notes says 1?

I'm on 2.0.1 David, I can get the bootlaoder with only one trim switch held over towards the on off switch (either of the lower two)

I have a feeling that custom scripts have to be separately copied to the SD card, I really don't see a need for those yet but will watch others with interest. (I can't see why any of the suggestions above for using scripts, can't be done within the standard openTx programming TBH, but I haven't tried).

Chris,

Thanks for the response, I can't (one switch) so I wonder if there is a way of going back and starting a gain.

I have lost the LUA Script Menu too - do you have that?

I got the Wizard partly working on creation of a new model, but limited success, so the LUA interpreter is sort of working OK. Download the WIZRD folder, but the files in the folder need to be moved up one level to TEMPLATES.

Edited By David... on 09/06/2014 21:35:46

Mine is working OK too at 2.0.1, but:

1. Do you get to the boot loader via holding in one or two trims?

2. Do you have 12 or 13 menus, i.e. do you have LUA enabled on menu 12?

3. When you add a new model, does it goes through a 'wizard' to guide you ( on the Tx screen) through the channel and general setup sequence/process?

Just to be clear - I think what David is referring to is that in 2.0 the procedure for going into the bootloader was to turn on the TX whilst simultaneously holding both the lower trims inward. This was a bit of a "three handed" job! Under 2.0.1 this is supposed to be improved by only having to hold one trim inwards whilst turning on - obviously somewhat easier!

As regards answering the question as to whether this is indeed the case - I haven't tried yet and I'm not by my Tx! But hopefully will be able to answer later!

BEB

From posts by a software author on other forums it seems that holding both trims to get into bootloader was a safety feature to reduce the chance of accidental engagement which was disabled in 2.01 but likely to return in future releases.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/06/2014 19:06:09