Latest OpenTx

Very useful post which I'm reading after updating the Taranis firmware and Companion. I'm clearly one of those try it and be dammed types since as soon as my old version of Companion offered an upgrade I took it then immediate went into upgrading the Taranis firmware without any thought or research. The advantage of this approach is it saves the time of reading the instructions and backing up stuff......

Fortunately having read through this post and the opentx wiki I don't think I've got too many changes to make, although I will a have to change the voltage alarms to be RxBatt as mentioned above.

James

Posted by David... on 10/06/2014 13:50:37:
Mine is working OK too at 2.0.1, but:

1. Do you get to the boot loader via holding in one or two trims?

One trim to open the Bootloader although I have seen it mentioned on the forums that they are reverting back to using both trims

2. Do you have 12 or 13 menus, i.e. do you have LUA enabled on menu 12?

12 menus and I don't see an option or LUA

3. When you add a new model, does it goes through a 'wizard' to guide you ( on the Tx screen) through the channel and general setup sequence/process?

Install the Wizard files on the SD card from my post above **LINK**

To get the LUA option menu, you have to go to the OpenTX Settings and select LUA and whilst I did that I added Haptic support to, then download the firmware again, this time you get a new version with that support added, I also got it to append version number so I could figure out which is which, don't know why it's not a default. The LUA interpreter is already part of the main firmware. Then update the firmware again. The new model wizard is cool.

Yes, the option for just one trim switch to be held is going back to two, which on-balance seems to be a good option.

Tonight I have been experimenting with a LUA Script that gives direction of flight from the GPS module. I'm going to be having fun with this feature when I'm not flying and using some of the adds on when I do fly

This spend (Taranis) on modelling equipment, is turning out to be my best spend for a long time.

The vario function has changed, I run a D4r-II Rx with a vario in a DLG and after upgrading to v2.0.2 and testing this out I found the vario was continually beeping, even when the glider was sitting on the workbench.

The vario behaviour has changed between v1 and v2 - full explanation here:

**LINK**

short summary here of how to set a 'dead band' for the vario here:

**LINK**

james

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I added the LUA script to display an altitude graph, but the install instructions are wrong, the two BMP files should be in:

/SCRIPTS/BMP

not

/SCRIPTS/modelname/BMP

I determined this by checking the script itself. It works great, I now have a moving graph / height profile of current altitude.

Had 4 faultless flights with the new firmware tonight.

I've gone up to 2.05 with no apparent issues

except...

I'd set up a Panic with a D8R receiver, after fiddling with it in Companion and copying it back to the transmitter it lost bind. Turns out it has morphed from D8 mode to D16. Now it might be something I did except that I can't see receiver type anywhere except on the Telemetry tab where there is a choice of S-port or D-port and I hadn't gone there at all.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 01/07/2014 10:28:03:

That's on the setup tab Bob, under Internal Radio System (Used to be called RF Module 1)

Big Doh! moment, I missed the scrollbar on the setup tab so couldn't see the lower optionsblush

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 01/07/2014 20:35:27

OK folks, I've joined the party now. It seems that whilst at Wings 'n' Wheels on Sunday I must have inadvertently asked the nice folks at Robotbirds if I could have a look at the Taranis, and a little while later, following the insertion of a plastic card and the pushing of some buttons, a shiny metal box was mine... party

So I have the tx with X8R, also an X6R and a few telemetry gizmos - current sensor, voltage sensor and GPS too. And I seem to have accidentally gone online last night to order another voltage sensor and the uprated battery.

So far I've flashed the tx to 2.05 and done the basic setup for my Katana and Pushycat. It's a steep learning curve for sure, but already I can see the huge flexibility there is to do whatever you want.

Nice one John! You'll enjoy it.

Yes - initial learning curve is a bit steep - but once you have the basics grasped it actually feels very intuitive. Are you using Companion for programming? I find its a lot easier (far fewer button presses!) But I do still like to do the odd thing "on the tranny" just to keep my hand in so I can fine tune stuff at the field without getting a laptop out! embarrassed

BEB

At the weekend I went to version 2.05 and while I was at it, had a major flashing session (!) and flashed the firmware on 4 X8R's, 4 FLVSS voltage sensors and a pair of high precision varios. They are all new (from T9) and probably have the latest firmware but it's easy enough and only takes a minute for each one. The only thing I haven't done recently is flash the Taranis internal XJT module as the firmware is still the current version. I am happy to report that I've had no problems with the firmware updates and everything is working as expected.

Hi Martin,

yes there is a bit of techno-speak isn't there! But its like anything - a "shorthand" develops. Its not intended to exclude but it can have that effect.

If there are any specific terms you are not familiar with martin - just post. I'm sure we'd be happy to explain. It really not that difficult, but unfamiliar expressions can make it seem so! smile

BEB

David, the instructions are here, you just need to click download to get the pdf. They are not the best I've ever seen but I managed to get my head around it. You need to buy/make/borrow two cables. The first is this one and then this adaptor too. Both are available from T9. Install the driver for you flavour of Windows and the SPort updater application. When you plug the USB end of the cable in, Windows should find the driver automatically and assign the COM port (which you need to enter into the updater). Follow the instructions and you can't go too far wrong. If you have any more questions, just ask or PM me.

Andy, thank you for your very informative response, I really appreciate that. I had the USB adapter but not the second adapter and as luck would have it, I placed a T9 order last night and Richard there was kind enough today to let me add the other adapter so I will be able to update mine too. Best Wishes - Dave