Snap Dragon

After going down to Old Warden  a few weeks ago I briefly spoke with Andrew Boddington during the mayhem that is the Ebenezer mass launch (if you have never seen it I do recommend it)

Anyway, we swapped contacts and I have been designing a small model with the intention of getting it into his magazine AeroModeller which I believe he edits in his own time and is very low budget.

Because of this the largest paper size that can be drawn on is A3, this is no easy task I can tell you.

So a quick break from the gyronut shenanigans to build my little low winger I have named 'Snap Dragon' after my nan who passed away yesterday. She loved her garden and it sounded better than pansy!

The idea is to make several but go with electric with the first model, maybe scale it up a little for my home made diesel if it flies. How hard can it be?.....

Photos to follow as I hack away!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 29/05/2014 19:14:33

Hi Richard ,

Snap dragon sounds like a great name ,

I remember one of my 1st designs i made when i was a teenager a small rubber powered model i called the sand hopper as i made the landing gear from springy wire so when it came to landing it would bounce back up into flight hence the name sand hopper .

And as i rather like small models i shall be watching your build with interest .

Cheers Steve .

David,

At the moment it is roughly about 550mm wingspan, but I may well shorten them once it is all together.

So, a little more done today but not much. The fuselage is together and needs stringers and sheeting in several places. A few pics, the servos being used are 1.9g and are tiny!

img_3910.jpg

img_3911.jpg

img_3912.jpg

img_3914.jpg

Rich

• 2 months later...

Had a little change of plan for this version and decided to make it free flight. As the Nats is this weekend I thought I would finish it to have a play in the free flight mayhem on the evenings. I have fitted a 0.2cc home made diesel engine into it which is probably a touch too big for it but it should be fun!

img_4589.jpg

I have re drawn the plan a little larger so will start building that version when I get chance.

Rich

• 8 months later...

Finally got round to building the more user friendly larger version for electric. This evening I took it over a common which is right by where I live to test glide it over some 'long stuff'. Happy with the glide I gave it a test fly and it turned out to fly reasonably well, think I may enjoy this one smile

img_5008.jpg

img_5155.jpg

img_5232.jpg

Rich

• 2 weeks later...