Flitetest FT Cruiser build

ericrw

**LINK**

This video (if I`ve been able to get it onto the forum), is the model that I`ve bought from the above American Company. I`m building it as per the video. The actual kit is approx £23 plus £8 Custom charge but the postage and the fee charged by Parcel Force, puts it up by another £30. Anyway I`m looking forward to the build.

Advert

Hello, Eric. I'm also a regular watcher of Flitetest and I must say some of their "foamboard" planes are belters, but the cost of getting their kits over here is just a bit much. Do you recognise the type of foamboard they're using? Is it something we could buy over here, do you think?

Ian

They call it Dollar Tree foam. It is the board that consists of two sheets of paper with foam in between. I've bought mine from The Range and Hobbycraft .

it costs a lot more than a dollar though. I bought ten sheets recently for just over twenty quid but I think that was a clearance price.

i would have thought that there would bee nought interest over here for someone to organise a bulk buy so that the customs and shipping costs can be shared.

I've recently seen sons one from Scotland do a similar thing with some old GWS kits.

Well I`ve started the build and I`ve come to the conclusion that when Josh is demonstrating the build, he must have "one that I did earlier", as I`m even finding that rolling the Wing over is not as easy as it appears in the build. Even though I`ve got the same Glue Gun, that he is using. an Arrow 550,I`m having difficulty in getting an even flow of glue out of the gun even though it`s reached a hot temperature ! I`m sure that will come as I get use to it !!

Eric, and anyone else - could you please have a look at this link **LINK**  Its from a stationery company called Viking and this is their presentation board (£28 + £3 delivery for a 10 x pack A1 size)

Could you please "roll over" their photograph to see a close up view of the board and tell us if this is the same thing that the Flite Test boys are using. I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Ian

Edited By IanR on 30/06/2014 20:44:18

• 5 months later...

i bought, assembled and flow the FT Baby Blender kit. Great, well thought out, innovative and cheap kit. However, their paper based posterboard is not that hard wearing.

I have downloaded all their plans and am currently building their Bloody Wonder. I have found that hobbycraft shops sell A1 sized posterboard for £4 per sheet, or 2 sheets for £7. 2 sheets is enough for most of their planes. More importantly, it is not a paper foam sandwich, but a plastic foam sandwich, exactly the same as FTs, and same dimensions, but plastic is much better suited to UK weather and is easier to paint/add decals.

**LINK**

You can of course make you own. I rigged up a slicer board to cut 50mm standard polystyrene sheet (600mm wide). Buy a sheet of chip board from your hardware store. Glue/screw wooden rails separated by 600mm with a 25mm gap in the centre.

Install 2 machine screws in the centre between the rails with nuts on each side of the board so that machine bolt head is about 25mm above the board. Using 26swg ni-chome wire make a strand that is about 700mm long. Put loops on each end and then put springs on each end. Anchor the springs into the board.

You can now attach your bow cutter power leads to the wire.

The threads on the screws anchor the wire and the wire must be on the face you are working towards. You can now set the wire to the exact height of the cut you need. All you have to do is push the foam board through the cutter to get the sheets you need. Sand the them and fill any grooves with light weight filler. You can then cover the board with light weight paper using PVA glue.

• 2 years later...