First Spitfire flight for pilot Neville Croucher

Just seen this on the BBC website:

"A 91-year-old former fighter pilot took the controls and looped the loop when he was given the chance to fly his first Spitfire.

Neville Croucher, from Chartham near Canterbury, survived 800 combat hours in the cockpit of Hurricane fighters during World War Two.

He was given the chance to fly a Spitfire at Headcorn Aerodrome having spent all his life wondering what it would be like to fly one of the famous planes."

Delightful! That's really made my day!

Advert

It's quite astonishing that so many young lads still in their teens were given a state of the art 350 mph, 1000 hp, eight machine gun weapon and then went to defend our home land.Rather makes our 'elf 'n safety, risk assessed, politically correct world look a tad insipid.

A dear friend of mine, now sadly passed away, was visiting Duxford, and as an ex -flight engineer on Avro Yorks towards the end of the war, was very interested in the museum's York that was under restoration. When he happened to converse with one of the engineers about their work and they discovered he'd been on Yorks, they downed tools and invited him to tour the aeroplane and then bought him a pint (or two) in the bar. A nice touch that Sid never forgot.

A few years ago I spent the day at East Kirkby in Lincolnshire, crewing in the Panton brothers Lancaster "Just Jane". Our captain for the day was "Jacko" Jackson who I believe was the first or at least an early CO of the Battle of Britain Flight. While he must have been past 80, he was still tall, straight and distinguished looking. He had joined the RAF in 1938 as a Halton Apprentice at 15. In 1941 he transferred to pilot training and later that year he was on Spitfire Vs at 18 years of age. He served all through on Spitfires, including Mks VIII, IX and XIV in England, Italy and North Africa. At the end of the war he stayed on and flew jets and finished up with the BoB flight. He was still doing things with them and was close to Paul Day, who was the CO then. In fact on the day I was there, Paul flew in to see us in a Spitfire from nearby Coningsby, landing on the grass strip that's still there. It was shortly before Paul retired, I guess this was about 2006.

When we taxied out in "Just Jane" I was in the front gun position and Jacko's boot on the rudder pedals was up above my left ear. I remember looking up and thinking what a hero he was, to me some kind of a superman! Something like 70 years after joining the RAF he was controlling the Lancaster and I've no doubt he could have flown it.

People like him and Neville deserve our greatest respect, we certainly owe them an awful lot.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 24/06/2014 12:41:35:

thats just it, he is not a nobody.

at the age of 18 he was fighting for our future, unlike lots of 18 year olds today who just want to get drunk and vandalize stuff.

Thankfully not all of them.................taught a 14 year old lad to fly R/C 10 years ago...............went on to get his PPL.............now a very experienced commercial pilot.

Let's not use this inspiring thread as an excuse to make nonsense up about an entire generation. It does a disservice to the majority of hard working, non-violent 18 year olds who don't drink too much.  I also note that you can join the RAF at 17 1/2 nowadays, so someone could still be flying fighters at a young age.

It's a fantastic video and I hope i'm as able bodied at his age!  Couldn't have seen my grandparents getting in a Spit at the same age...

Edited By Simon B on 24/06/2014 15:41:20

Edited By Simon B on 24/06/2014 15:47:32