Leisure Battery size

Phil 9

I am looking to buy a to charge my lipos at the field from

Currently I have 3s 2200 and 4s 3600 packs

I think I want a minimum of 6 charges of the 4s packs if that is feasible from one battery but I have no idea what this equates to in leisure battery size.

there are a few number crunch examples of working out the theoretical number of charges from a battery on the forum. But they all go on to say due to inefficiencies you get no where near the theoretical capacity. So I am looking for a more practical answer.

many thanks. I guess Im looking at 75ah minimum.

but for £90 quid I could also just buy a few more lipos and have enough to last the day (I can also get a couple of charges from my car without too much risk).

indecision I will need to have a think what way to go

Hobbyking 4S 3600, £18 in their scratch and dent section (UK). For your £90 you would get 5 batteries. OK they may not be top notch, but at that price. ... (actually these are pretty good) Also remember, more batteries, each charged less often = longer lifespan in calender terms.

No-brainer really.

Edited By Andy48 on 25/06/2014 17:45:10

Don't go to Halfrauds, try these people **LINK** Battery Megastore. They have other brands as well but I just linked to the Alphaline ones as I have used quite a few now with no problems. A 110Ah leisure battery is about 75 quid, postage is free IIRC and it will usually be at your doorstep the next day.

A 4S 3600 charging at 1C will draw just over 5Ah from the battery.This is conveniently at the 20 hour rate so the battery will return its rated capacity, so theoretically that would be 20 charges. Reasonably I would think myself lucky to get 80% of that so 16 charges, how much flying do you want to do? The two things to remember are; that the charger is obviously not 100% efficient and lead acid batteries efficiency drops off markedly as current rises i.e double the current draw and you will get considerably less than half the run time.

Shaunie.

Perhaps also remember the dangers of carrying a 110ah leisure battery in the car. In an accident the battery will carry on travelling forward. An accident is bad enough but a 32kg battery travelling at 30mph+ inside the car does not bear thinking about. The restraining links in most cars are not rated for this sort of force. Not to mention acid splashes should the battery split open.

But then only other people have accidents don't they?

Posted by Andy48 on 25/06/2014 20:25:17:

Perhaps also remember the dangers of carrying a 110ah leisure battery in the car. In an accident the battery will carry on travelling forward. An accident is bad enough but a 32kg battery travelling at 30mph+ inside the car does not bear thinking about. The restraining links in most cars are not rated for this sort of force. Not to mention acid splashes should the battery split open.

But then only other people have accidents don't they?

even without accidents it is a heavy lump to cart about with you every time you want to go flying

I have this at present also as my 100A marine and leisure battery is pretty well goosed. I did use the cigar lighter socket and extended lead to feed my 4010 Junsi charger over the weekend flying, and it seemed to cope fine up to around 10A input, so got some reasonable charges done on most of my 3s and 4s batteries. I confess I left the engine running, the bonus being the air conditioning kept me comfy in between flights. It is safer as Phil9 says, and saves space, and weight ( therefore helps driving fuel consumption figures ), so Im seriously considering not bothering to replace the leisure battery., which also of course needs charging often ;(

• 2 months later...

Don't forget that even a leisure battery doesn't like being deep discharged. I've got a 100Ah marine in my shed for my lights, power tools etc and I run it down to about 50% maximum. Any lower and the cycle life expectancy goes down.

If you do get a leisure battery make sure you use a good charger- this is not a time for a standard car charger which will just slam amps into it until it's full. That works fine for a car battery because most of the time (IE until someone leaves the headlights on) it's charged using the alternator and regulator. With a leisure battery you're only going to be charging it with the charger so a good 5/6 stage charger is a good investment.

Leisure batteries are cheap from farm supplies shops (used for electric fences) and they tend to be reasonable quality (farmers aren't going to waste money)- some "leisure" batteries are basically just rebadged car batteries....

Interesting Ben...I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't know for definite but my understanding was that Leisure batteries WOULD stand a deep discharge....that's their whole raison d'etre....to live on a boat or a caravan & provide a few amps until they are empty (nearly!) Compare with a car battery that is designed to supply many hundreds of amps whilst cranking the engine but only for a few seconds & will then be charged back up again by the vehicles alternator.

I take your point about many "leisure" batteries being just rebranded car batteries though....dont know

I have had good leisure batteries and bad leisure batteries, but none of them lasted more than a couple of years of regular use before losing capacity. The car batteries I have tried seem just as good.

Now I am using LifeP04 cells intended for electric bikes. They are much lighter than lead acid, have a longer cycle life, and just about all the stated capacity is useable. Not cheap, but I have a 12v 30Ah battery (4s2p 15Ah cells) built into my fleld box that is now in its third year without any noticeable degradation in performance.

I got mine here **LINK** where they are available in several sizes from 4.4 to 15 Ah, but there must be other sources out there.

Dick

You may well be right Ben B.....you can get SLA batteries that are advertised a "deep discharge" often for use by Golf-ists in their carts/buggies see here.

@ Barrie Dav 2 as alluded to by Dickw a lithium based battery might be worth considering....much smaller, lighter & more powerful. I recently converted my IC Starter to Lipo with a 3S 2200mAh pack & it is briliant....rarely uses more than 2-300mAh in an afternoons flying. Maybe a 3200 or 4000 mAh 3S LiPo might do a good job in your flight box....wink 2

Yep....thats the same starter I have.....a 2200mAh Lipo powers it no problem...in fact much better than the 7Ah SLA battery I used to use......I tested it with a wattmeter & trying to turn over a 90 2 stroke the battery voltage dropped to around 7 volts. Using the Lipo the voltage held up much better & the starter span the motor over with great gusto.....pulling around 40 odd amps if my memory serves me....

Just as you would connect the lead/acid battery Barrie.....a 3S Lipo will usually knock out just under 12V a lead/acid battery just over 12V so its pretty much a direct replacement.....where the Lipo scores is in better voltage stability under load....

Personally I've fitted the Lipodirect to my starter thus doing away with all the faffing around with leads. my old 12V SLA battery sits in the flight box to power the fuel pump (I have a 2V SLA for the glow plug). As & when the 12V SLA dies it will be replaced by a Lipo....lighter smaller & recharges in an hour...whats not to like.....wink 2

OK thanks for that gentlemen. I'll follow your examples and use the lipo connected to the electric panel for the starter, plug and pump. I wasn't sure how a lipo would perform but your solution certainly seem very practical and is backed up by experience and as I fly 'electric' as well as i.c. the question re the charger is now irrelevant.