Flying models made from 'cancelled' British aircraft of the past.

Mark Kettle 1

Posted by Tony Bennett on 05/08/2014 09:05:23:

there is a huge range of aircraft that can be built as long as there is a 3 view to work from.

the problem will be getting them to fly.

i have a list as long as my arm that i would like to try.

That's why I said "built it", not "flown it"! wink.

There's loads of choice, some of them straightforward and others potentially tricky. Here's one of the tricky ones, with a length (150' to span(50' ratio of 3 to 1. The Avro 730, intended to be a avro 730 1.jpgMach 2.5/ Mach 3 dash capable reconnaissance and bomber aircraft to follow on from the Vulcan. A 1/3 scale proof of concept prototype was being built by Avro when it was cancelled in 1957 as a result of the infamous Duncan Sandys defence white paper. Although this is a canard, you will see the wing shape in the Bristol 188, which was originally designed as a test vehicle for stainless steel construction, in connection with this project.

Wow. Interesting thread. I'm hoping this runs and runs!

Colour schemes and markings present a chance for some creative input, which I guess is a large part of the attraction of modelling unbuilt designs. A guide is the schemes in which contemporary aircraft that were built featured in the same period of time.

I guess this could even be extended to modelling unbuilt marks of historical aircraft (some interesting Spitfire variants, anyone?) or even unapplied colour schemes to real aircraft. What if...

An interesting thread! The Miles M.39 Libellula featured in the model photo thread takes some beating.

Dylan’s Westland Whirlwind announcement started me looking at it on the web and it’s amazing the amount various groups have written on possible Whirlwind developments. From Merlin engines to pusher props and even a twin boom torpedo carrying version! Personally I’d prefer to keep it a little more real and, like a lot of Whirlwind fans, would like to have seen what Westland may have had in mind for a Mk III or IV, if only to make one finished in D-Day stripes or even Photo Recce blue.

Mark, Tony's certainly fired up!

David, what the Whirlwind really needed was the Merlin, but I understand that the airframe was considered to be too small for it to be practical. The death knell was abandonment of the Peregrine by Rolls Royce. It was only 21 litres compared to the Merlin's 27 and was actually a "Merlinised" version of the older Kestrel. It had a few problems and I think that RR decided that there wasn't enough demand for it to justify further development, particularly with the huge commitment to improving the Merlin and bringing on the Griffon.

If you want to look at something similar to the Whirlind but which probably had more scope, have a look on-line at the various twin Spitfire proposals by Supermarine, including one with the engines set up as pushers which looked just like a jet.