Calibrating quad motors

Eric Hartley

Hi

When attempting to calibrate the motors on my quad I have proceeded in the following manner - Tx. on and throttle to full, connect the lipo following which the esc's emit some musical notes followed by a continual 'beep - beep' beeping at approx. 1 sec. intervals. Disconnect the lipo. and reconnect (Throttle still fully open) and obtain the usual musical notes followed by 2 beeps then throttle fully down and receive yet again the musical notes and a beep following which the motors seem to arm and will then spool up on operating the throttle. However upon disconnecting the lipo and then connecting for flight (throttle in closed position) the ubiquitous music tones sound followed by the 1 sec. beeping and no response with throttle. The only way I can overcome this is by recalibrating the esc's before each flight. Has anyone any advice please

Advert

Hi

Should have mentioned it is an APM 2.6 (Arducopter) board. I have tried to recalibrate the esc's again both collectively and individually via the receiver but again no joy. The esc's are Turnigy plush 40amp and I might try a different brand. Whilst I have succeeded in getting all the motors to spool up together the Quad. tips forward so I have shut of the throttle not wanting to upend it which presumably indicates that the esc's have not calibrated and are running at different speeds?

I have sometimes found that with a newly built quad it won't always leave the ground smoothly and you have to just go for it and snatch it off and be prepared to level it quickly on the sticks but a small amount of trim can get them level. Just my experiences....

Hi

Have recalibrated everything and upon spooling up the quad now wants to nose over (previously going over to the left). I have just about given up with the system. As a matter of interest I previously had a KK" board with no problems and only changed to the APM 2.6 because it seemed to offer a host of options for a reasonable price. Now I know why the Naza DJI costs much more but looks like it seems the best option.

Try to use your right stick (mode2) to get it stable on flat ground and if you can do so without excessive deflection then open the throttle enough to get it to lift off. If you do this over soft ground and can chop the throttle quickly enough if it all goes wrong then the worst that will happen is possibly a couple of broken props but you may be surprised to find that it will actually fly ok. Keep away from it a good distance of course! Another obvious thought occurs, you are using identical motors in all 4 corners?

Have you tried holding the copter (very firmly!) and applying part throttle, moving the copter around and ensuring that it tries to stabilize itselfby fighting against the movements? Failure to do so would indicate faulty board alignment as mentioned above, incorrect motor wiring, incorrect setup or a faulty board.

I use the Turnigy Plush ESC and APM 2.6 and now APM 2.7 and have a far amount of experience of this setup, also see Peter King's YouTube videos of the same, he goes through the setup in great detail.

I would say your board orientations or motor positions are wrong, have you done the motor test to ensure the craft forward (arrow on APM) and motors correspond?

You will of course have completed the compass calibration if you have the latest mission planner, because it nags you to do it until completed...

Hi

Yes I have watched Peter King's video and they are very good I also downloaded his parameter settings. I have changed all the esc's and motors, recalibrated everything but the quad still tries to tip over on spooling up. What I have noticed however is that if I pull the right stick back (mode 2 elevator) it does not seem to have any effect similarly with the aileron. Is it a faulty board? Bearing in mind I have another quad with an APM 2.6 and that works perfectly.

If you swap the motor or ESC does the problem follow the items?

I have a kk2.1.5 board quad too, and on take off one arm/side always lags behind but if I give it throttle then as soon as it gets off the ground it's fine.

When idling on the ground you should be able to check all four axis of roll (ail) and pitch (ele) and see/hear the motors respond accordingly.

How about trying a tethered flight, I use 100lb fishing line so I can stop it going off like a banshee...

Hi

Finally managed to get the quad to arm and all the motors spool up together. When holding the quad and tilting it the motors respond trying to level it which is as it should be. Unfortunately when applying full throttle the motors do not accelerate and merely spool at app. 1/4 speed. If I recalibrate the motors this seems to bypass the arming procedure as the throttle will spool the motors up to full power but when tilting the quad there is no stabilisation attempt from the motors! I am completely at a loss as to what to try next.

Well David I appreciate the info. Being an ex RC helicopter pilot, I should have followed my own rule. I like to use the term "smartly". When flying a helicopter or multirotor, the props cause ground effect. It is pushing the air down, and the air has no where to go but back up. You should lift off "smartly" and get above that turbulence. I did that and the quad is more stable at take off.