3+ meters?

Tried on 'flat field', no response?

I'm looking at Reichard Cirrus or Mandarin gliders. Looking for information on how they perform, has anyone any personal experience of them, and what size is the spinner?

T9 seem to think the Mandarin is a better enginered product, but YouTube shows the tail is not so rigid? T9 cant help me with spinner size either, guessing at 44mm?

I'm looking for resaonably priced 3m+ to have a go open electric, molded composites are out of my reach, unless I can find a used one, any suggestions?

CJS

Advert

Hi Clifford, I've just finished a 3m Bird of Time, and a fine big bird it is. You can buy both an ARTF version, and one that you construct from ply and balsawood. I've added spoilers, and an electric motor. Also, I reinforced the wing centre section with carbon fibre

ernie

Posted by Tom Satinet on 11/09/2014 12:56:23:

is the spinner size a major deciding factor or something?

I would have thought that once you get the model it would be very easy to find the right size spinner as they are both cheap and readily available.

Yes, spinner size is critical. I want to use the new Turnigy 38mm direct drive in 'runner/out runner'. This business of small spinners is impractical and expensive. I have 2m gliders, its like getting a 'quart in a pint pot', an extra 2 or 3mm would make all the difference, having little or no affect on penetration IMHO.

The sizes that are being used in some aircraft seem to be a combination of 'the pod is from a glider' with the nose cut off, how can we sell the idea . . .? . . . !*!*: 'small = better penetration'. Perhaps thats my synical side coming out? Long, straight pods will potentialy create drag, think, 'airfoil compared to flat plate'?

However my main consideration, cost and practicality is far more important to a pensioner . . .

CJS

Posted by Ernie on 11/09/2014 13:00:08:

Hi Clifford, I've just finished a 3m Bird of Time, and a fine big bird it is. You can buy both an ARTF version, and one that you construct from ply and balsawood. I've added spoilers, and an electric motor. Also, I reinforced the wing centre section with carbon fibre

ernie

Hi Ernie, I have a factory produced ARTF 'Bird of Time', that I have converted to electric. A fine machine, great for sunny afternoons at the club field, but not the F5J competition theremal sniffer that I'm looking for.

CJS