Battery polarity

Dean  Hunter

Dear All - I have just had to re-bind an 8 channel rx - no problem. However nothing works!! It seems as tho tx/rx has become unbound? My suspicion is that I connected the battery the wrong way around after binding?

Probably a senior moment? My question - would connecting the battery the wrong way around wreck the rx? (expensive mistake?)

Dean

If "nothing" works, you need to break the problem down into smaller parts. There are many ways to approach it but you could:

1. To rule out a problem with Tx, try the Tx with a different Rx and/or model. If all is well then it's not the Tx and vice versa
  2. Assuming it's the Rx, do you have a voltmeter/DVM so that you can check that the supply voltage (4.8 or 6V) is getting to the Rx. If not, it could be the battery or On/Off switch.
  3. Assuming you have volts at the Rx, are any lights flashing? Does the light blink continuously when the bind plug is inserted? Do the servos 'twitch' when you switch the power on? If not, then it does look like a Rx problem. If the Rx does respond, are your servos Ok? Are you sure they are connected correctly? Do they all work Ok on a servo tester? (Note if one servo is u/s, it 'could' drag the supply volts down so perhaps best to minimise your system to one servo until you have found the fault)
  4. If servos are Ok on a tester, again it points to Rx - at which point you need to try different Rx in the model
  5. Clutching at straws, there are instances where binding fails if the Tx is too close to the Rx when binding. Is there a satellite Rx attached? Is the light on this working? This should glow continuously when bound. Some Rx's, Eg AR7000, won't drive servos if satellite Rx is bust
  6. running out of ideas now............

If you charge via a lead that has a signal lead on it but reverse it, that will blow the rx. Now I use switches without the signal lead on the charge lead so if it is reversed won't put a negative down the signal line and blow the chip.

Ask me how I know - blew a AR500 rx, but thought it was faulty and blew a brand new AR400 before I realized that the recessed charge socket took a charge lead either way.

Dean,

Do you have the satellite Rx connected? The AR800 will not do anything if there is no satellite when it is switched on. If the satellite is disconnected once it is powered up it will continue to work. This is a safety feature to stop you taking off with a dodge satellite.

I spent about an hour cursing a couple of Rx until I remembered that one!