Wolfgang Matts Arrow

Sam Wragg

Final set of images

img_3023.jpg

img_3024.jpg

img_3024a.jpg

The next set of images are up at the field for the Big Event......something that money cant buy

img_3025.jpg

Arrow assembled and ready. The Arrow insignia was traced onto solar trim and cut out free hand

img_3027.jpg

Running the engine 'in' prior to her maiden flight.

img_3027a.jpg

A greaser of a landing

img_3028.jpg

The man himself

Model Nomenclature.

1. Model name. Wolfgang Matts Arrow (Plan)
  2. Engine. OS61RF ABC-P. OS manifold + OS Blue pipe
  3. Radio. JR/Graupner MC24. JR Spcm 10ch Rx
  4. Servos. 2off JR Ds8401(Ele/Rud). 2off JR Ds3401(Aile). 2off Savox SH-256(Flaps). 2off Savox SH-0350(Throttle & Air retract valve)
  5. Retracts. Spring Air nose leg Merati Mains
  6. Model Weight. Lighter than his Magic & Curare

When running in the engine the pipe length was set to what OS recommend with the choice of prop being the same Apc 12x9 as used on Magic (10600rpm) using the same 12% Opti fuel it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Engine was turning 11200 rpm.

Sams says he will change to a 12x10/11 prop when the engine is 'run in' so as to get the revs near the 10000 mark and keep the noise down.

Finally, Sam says thanks for the kind comments. To him, this hobby is all about building models so that you can enjoy the experience of savoring your creation fly. The poor ARTF brigade don't know what they're missing in creating something what is basically a drawing on a sheet of paper...... More building less assembling please

Flying notes to follow

Owdlad

• Thanks 1

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/07/2015 12:42:18:

That's the sort of construction standard and finish that most of can only dream of. Well done Sam.

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more.

Hats off for a job well done Sam and congratulations on your new fantastic flying machine!

David

(from across the Northern pond)

Finally, Sam says thanks for the kind comments. To him, this hobby is all about building models so that you can enjoy the experience of savoring your creation fly. The poor ARTF brigade don't know what they're missing in creating something what is basically a drawing on a sheet of paper...... More building less assembling please

I fully stand by these comments as well!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I have been tempted, I have a Curare (artf, sorry everyone blush) Also still have a Cuban Eight although thats probably too new!

Trouble Is I am already doing a bit of IMAC and haven't seen an event within reasonable distance that I could do, definately Iinterested though.

Posted on your Touche thread by the way, but you have Ignored me!

Sorry missed Touche thread, Wasn't ignoring you, honest.

I have heard, but nothing official that there is a rule change afoot, in that Classic Aerobatic models will be anything pre 2M. Helps me because with the current 1984 (ish) cut off my DSM Saphir is too young and so is the Touche.

Not sure on this but Steve or Martyn might be able to confirm.

If you want to come and fly up here we can always put you up.

A

Hi Andy

We have never made a big thing about "rules" as such. The spirit of the group is that the Classic era - by our definition - ended in the mid 1980's with the dawn of the turn-around era. The reality is that models designed up until about 1990 which employed traditional construction techniques 'qualify' as Classics. Like beauty, the interpretation is entirely within the eye and mind of the builder or flyer.

This will only become a problem when we start to run competitions - hopefully next year. At which point, there may be a need to apply a 'K' factor based upon the age of the design and the builders compliance with the original design.

However, that will be for a nice internal (to UKCAA) debate in the Autumn and I may broach the subject with the next newsletter.

Steve may - on the other hand - have an entirely different view

Martyn

Arrow update.

Sam says he's too old in tusk to say that his latest creation is the best flying model yet? He states years of experience in flying F3a put pay to that notion because he says every choice of F3a model he has flown/built/competed is done so with an improvement from his previous model. (His retro models are excluded from this ideology).

Firstly Sam is over the moon with the performance of the new OS60-RFP engine in Arrow. Running 12% Opti Fuel the engine turns an Apc12x9 prop at 11200 rpm.

To keep the noise footprint to a minimum and reduce the revs he has gone up in pitch to an Apc 12x10 only to discover the engine now runs at 10800 rpm and believes that another 1" in pitch is required to a 12x11. This he says is getting into the Hanno special territory, also after 10 mins flight times he's landing with half a tank of fuel remaining (14oz tank fitted), whereas in Magic (OS60-RFP) he manages only 9 minutes on the same sized tank. Also using the same fuel turning an Apc 12x9 the engine in Magic runs at 10600 rpm. Sam is bemused by this as both engines are new with the only difference being that Arrows engine is on an OS Blue pipe (length set to what OS recommend) whereas Magic is using a Bolly EQ63N carbon pipe set slightly long to keep the revs & noise down.

Sam says he may now play around with the pipe length on Magic to see if he can get similar figures as Arrows engine but may decide if its not broke leave it as the engine in Magic purrs happily away as it is.

After a dozen or so flights with Arrow Sam says he can now comment on Arrow and how she is in the air.

He says in his opinion Arrow is far the better model than his Magic as its a far more forgiving model through maneuvers, especially square maneuvers. Arrow is far more easier to fly and lets you concentrate on flying the the shapes. Knife edges are a breeze and she also rolls better. Landing are just a breeze.

He admits that Magic presents better than Arrow in the air and wonders if this is why Hanno won the Worlds with this design as he now firmly believes Arrow to be the better flying design.

To sum up: He says to get the best out of Magic you have to be in front of the model and fly her like a pylon racer (aggressively) whereas Arrows response is softer allowing you time to think on the controls and is more manageable as all F3a models should be.

I asked Sam which of his model does he prefer to fly as in Curare, Magic, Arrow. With a big grin his reply was " All of em"

Watch out for the next Blog hes now muttering about Electrifying a Dave Hardaker Lightning as Dave kindly let him have a copy of the original plans

Owdlad

Posted by Andy Green on 20/07/2015 17:58:02:

Sorry missed Touche thread, Wasn't ignoring you, honest.

I have heard, but nothing official that there is a rule change afoot, in that Classic Aerobatic models will be anything pre 2M. Helps me because with the current 1984 (ish) cut off my DSM Saphir is too young and so is the Touche.

Not sure on this but Steve or Martyn might be able to confirm.

If you want to come and fly up here we can always put you up.

A

Hi Andy, might take you up on that sometime, it's been a long time, we've got a lot of catching up to do!

Jon

Edited By Jon Tappin on 26/07/2015 14:31:07