Wolfgang Matts Arrow

Sam Wragg

After resurrecting Magic and assembling an ARTF Curare I have had an immensely enjoyable season flying Retro at Ukcaa events.

Doing this has whetted my appetite in flying F3a again after walking away from the Gbrcaa several years ago feeling jaded plus i felt the current trend of models had outstripped the pockets of the ordinary man,as to build and design your own model to keep within the 5kg rule was nigh on impossible.... Current F3a has become plug & play.

This summer with beaming smiles talk between my "Pit Man" (John) and myself switched to what shall we build next to complement our fleet?

It didn't take long for us to unanimously decide on Wolfgangs Matts Arrow as it was Magics competitor.

So looking forward to doing some proper building for next season I intend to post a stage by stage sequence of "Team Wraggs" efforts.

We hope you enjoy

Sam & John

Very nice model indeed as opposed to to days models. I myself was lucky to come across a kit of the Kwik Fli MK3 by Graupner in its box complete in very good condition. The first the first time I ever saw this Aircraft I was hooked and I always swore that I would own one someday. This and a Carl Goldberg Skylark are to be my winter builds. I am really looking to building them .I will do a photo or two of the said builds. Sean.

We decided to make a 1/64 rolled ply pipe enclosure instead of aluminium as stated on the plan, after the second attempt we managed this,

2014-09-21 10.jpg

The ply formers will be cut away eventually? after carbon tows are added

2014-09-21 11.jpg

2014-09-21 12.jpg

Decision time now?? After readings the engine nomenclature and deep discussion, as much as we wanted to fit the intended engine i believe the Racing Rear Ex Redshift will generate too much noise as it develops its power around the 18000rpm mark.

Until we decide on different power plant building is on hold as the engine / pipe determines the detailing around the pipe enclosure

Kettle's on & time to ponder

Sam & John

Finally decided on the choice of power plant. The decision at this stage of the build is important as i wanted to incorporated soft mount system to keep noise / vibration to a minimum, so with this in mind i opted to use my other OS60 RFP with a view that i can fit one of my Hanno Specials at a later stage (if i wanted).

The first step was to manufacture the Beach engine Bearers, this is how i went about the task

2014-09-21 16.jpgBeach Engine bearers + Jig made to width of OS crankcase

2014-09-23 19.19.21.jpgBearers & jig set out on board prior to marking out

2014-09-23 19.20.04.jpgBearers tacked onto board

2014-09-23 19.23.26.jpgThe whole assembly offered up

2014-09-25 15.36.34.jpgBearers drilled with M3 captive nuts epoxied in place. The central holes are relieved for the engines M4 set screws

2014-09-25 15.45.51.jpgAluminium bearers in situ

2014-09-27 12.28.49.jpgThe completed soft mount system prior to epoxying into position.

Ha Ha I was contemplating using my Webra 80 R- Ex. but it was too tight a squeeze.

The soft mount is my own design made out of 4mm Ally plate with impregnated rubber bonded on. The isolated bolts are just 3mm Cap Heads using 3mm oversized washers again with rubber bonded on, then diesel fuel tubing cut to length and is slid up over the shank of the bolt up to the head making sure its the correct length so that it compresses when the whole assembly is tightened up.

The Blue Cap Head washers are from FastLad  just to add the finishing touch

Sam

Edited By Sam Wragg on 30/09/2014 12:34:56

• 3 weeks later...

Final nose bay with soft mount installed

2014-10-20 12.44.12.jpg

Now the engine bay is complete i can move onto the pipe enclosure and pick up where i left it. After some head scratching i ended up with producing this, unfortunately a minimum amount of lightweight filler was used around the front of the enclosure to maintain the shape of the model

2014-10-20 12.46.51.jpg

3mm carbon peg to locate

2014-10-20 12.47.37.jpg

Light-ply retainers glued in place

2014-10-20 12.48.09.jpg

View from front

2014-10-20 12.47.57.jpg

View from rear.

Before i can progress Arrow i now have to move onto the producing the Tail-plane

• Like 1

Curvy indeed, It will be nice to see Arrow and Concept side by side next at years meetings. The tailpipe in context is a bike stand put out to pasture by Mrs W wink.

Wolfgang calls to use an 1"dia pipe that exits from the underside..

2014-10-20 15.40.43-1.jpg

I have decided that i will use my idea as used on Magic as i find it more user friendly

2014-02-03 10.16.42.jpg

As you can see its just a rectangular box that allows for greater adjustment

Sam

Edited By Sam Wragg on 20/10/2014 16:47:31