Stuck

Levanter

I am working with clear Solarfilm for the first time and as per usual I have rough cut the pieces for final trimming once stuck to the surfaces. The problem is that now I can't get the backing off! Well one piece took me half an hour and there are a lot of pieces! My patience won't stand that.

Has anyone got an easy way - PLEASE frown

Advert

I use the scalpel treatment like Beb....works with me to......I remember the very first model I built when I was 12 and it was all just me and no advice. I un-wittingly covered my whole plane without removing the backing foil. It sticks quite well for a while but one Saturday flying at the strip with a guy that was teaching me the whole covering on the top of the wing started coming off. He came over and was astonished how long it had stayed on !!! Wonder if anyone ever made that mistake like me...lol

Jamie

Well the tape worked a treat and progress is now at the speed of light. Taking Jamie's warning I must try to ensure I now stick the right bit to the aircraft. Another trick I have just learned all by myself albeit the hard way. Get rid of the tiny little offcuts as soon as you cut them. They seem impossible to get off especially when they land somewhere important. Thanks again.

Posted by Jamie sawyer on 16/09/2014 17:31:53:

..I remember the very first model I built when I was 12 and it was all just me and no advice. I un-wittingly covered my whole plane without removing the backing foil. It sticks quite well for a while but one Saturday flying at the strip with a guy that was teaching me the whole covering on the top of the wing started coming off. He came over and was astonished how long it had stayed on !!! Wonder if anyone ever made that mistake like me...lol

Jamie

Hi Jamie . Yes lots of people have made that mistake . A local model shop , now sadly shut down used to sell a lot of second hand model and the ceiling was covered with them hanging on threads. The owner bought one off a lad who had managed to cover the whole model with the backing on the covering ! when it started to peel he use lashings of cellotape to hold it down . The model hung there for years as a talking point .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 17/09/2014 12:33:49