Model Identification Please

Lindsay Todd

Can someone help with identification of this all balsa fuz and foam wing aerobatic design. I know the one in the background is a Curare but the one in the foreground has me beat at the moment although it seems to have some Hanno Prettner style flap air brakes. Wing span is circa 68" and classic 60 size pattern ship. Its in pretty good condition, glassed, primed but never finished so will not take to much to finish and a bargain at £30 I recon.

s1310020.jpg

Advert

Hi David, yes I had thought it looked similar to a lightening but it was the wing that was confusing the issue especially with the drag flaps. A quick look on the web has not helped yet. Of course there is every chance it is a combination of Lightning fuz and curare wing or other such but it all goes together so precisely it has been design as such from the off. I put the incidence meter on it this morning and the build is totally square so its a good start for a nice true flying machine. I am hoping to have a go at classic aero comps as I used to fly competitive F3A in the late 90's so would be nice to have a less serious dabble. Thinking of going electric with this any thoughts anyone on power set up? Linds

Hi Lindsay

Maybe someone will fess up to faffing with my design !! (apart from when the original Lightning was kitted by Flair as the "Super" Lightning.) I also notice the anhedral tailplane has been replaced by a flat one.

I see there's plenty of comment about F3A being a rich man's sport. Well it certainly wasn't when I was competing, and hence the Classic association having been formed now - a very good idea. Building the model was part of the spirit of the competition. Building a really straight model was even harder. Computer tx's can't really sort a twisted airframe !

I have a few electric models but the thought of an electric F3A model really goes against the grain, all the pitfalls of ESC's and very pricey batteries. I gather noise levels have been reduced by electric though. But I'd go for a proper engine any day !

Best of luck

David

So what your saying David is search a Webra Speed 61 and pipe and just live the sticky goo all over the place like we used to. Are we at least allowed synthetic oil rather than castor? I must admit other than a couple of 52 4strokes I don't think I have run a two stroke glow motor for years now and got used to a lack of crud , actually that's no true as I have an OS32 in my good old Raptor 30 V1 heli still going strong after 10years abuse so they can't be all bad I guess. I think my last competitive flight was at the 2000 Nats with my own design 2m job.

You don't need to leave oil all over the airframe!

Both my '70's models have piped 2-strokes, & providing there are no exhaust or carb leaks, and an exhaust deflector fitted, they stay remarkably clean. (I also hate oily, messy airframes!).

Even my Kwik-Fli with an old .61/muffler leaves very little residue, mostly on the stab L/E.......................

Ahhhhhh, don't get me going on Webras too!

Bill

Hi Sam

I'm guessing you mean TS of HDMAC ? If so I'll see what I can do. You'd think a real Yorkshireman would respond to the sight of folding money!

I'm intrigued by which kit it may be - there were kits by Tim Moore, a long time before Dudley Patterson asked me about kitting the Lightning. Of course Dud's version used an upright engine and hidden pipe. I've still got Lightnings #2 and #4 although not kit built..

Might see you at The Whams soon.

Regards

David