84 inch Depron AT6 Texan.

As a late comer to this thread I have been able to read it from start to finish in one go without having to wait for regular updates. Having only recently started flying after spending some 40 years on the side lines looking in, this quality of build is somewhat beyond me at the moment, but is something to aim for. I have started building with depron using the Spitfire and Racer plans from Flitetest but these involve a whole different approach to foam building. One of the things you mentioned in the build thread was that you would explain the wing retention method but I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you could explain what method you use then that would be very helpful for future projects as is starting to get more and more difficult to squeeze completed planes in the back of the car...

Chris, you don't need to be able to build you just need a pot load of cash and a talented mate like Electriflier wink

The wing retention on the Texan is purely a carbon rod which is a snug fit into a carbon tube around mid chord which is secured by a pretty tiny self tapping screw in a pre drilled hole through the 2 of them. There is also a smaller rod and tube nearer the leading edge which is just a snug fit. Hope that makes sense, if not I am sure Roy ( Electriflier ) could explain it better.

If need be I could try and take some pictures tomorrow . Let me know .

Edited By Philip Rawlinson on 21/07/2015 22:16:22

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 24/07/2015 18:18:06:

It really does look great Electriflier. You have certainly influenced me in using Depron. The XB42 is my latest effort, nothing like as ambitious as the Texan, but I'm getting there.

His work and that of Tony Bennet (who is now sneaking some RC gear into a Trident!) inspired me to get to grips with Depron too....... if you are ever in the Rotheram area its worth calling into Nitroflight to see the Depron Vulcan but I defy you to not spend money there - far too many goodies!!

Colin,

XB42 Mixmaster not ambitious? I disagree..... Contra-rotating pusher?..... Take my hat off to you sir. Just a great shame that the weather doesn't look too bright for Sunday for your maiden. Can't wait to hear that it's flown.

Dave, many thanks for the kind words and as for anyone calling in who's a member of this forum, there's a coffee waiting. It would be nice to meet you Colin if ever you're in the area.

Cheers....... Roy

I can vouch for the coffee and the warm welcome and nitroflite are the perfect example of why people should use or lose their local model shop. Don't want to sound like an advert but I much prefer paying a price that includes good advice and back up service from a human being face to face.

P.S.what you building next Roy ?

• 7 years later...