84 inch Depron AT6 Texan.

Good one Cymaz! There's one flying in Australia now and I'd love to see it. Although this describes the cruising speed at 190 mph it actually did just under 300 on the deck, quite a bit more than a Hurricane and climbed like a dingbat. Gave the Japanese a hard time in jungle fighting. It shows just how good the basic AT6 design was, to think that it could quite easily be converted into something like this.

It's been a while but I've been a bit busy lately so apologies for the lack of updates. Phil called in today to see where we were at with the build and asked if I would update the log.
Here you go Phil,
Not a lot of words tonight I'm afraid as I'm pushed for time but hopefully, the pictures will paint a far clearer picture.

nearlydone.jpg

I've added a visual lipo battery checker so Phil can see, at a glance, the state of his 4S lipo. I've built this gadget into the front cockpit area.nearlydone1.jpg

I've added quite a few thousand of these around the model as well as adding some faded panel lines with soft lead pencil.nearlydone2.jpg
The model after two coats of emulsion. Starting to look the part now!nearlydone3.jpg
The Lipo battery checker can be seen in the front of the cockpit.

nearlydone4.jpg

First coat of Eze-kote added and a glossy appearance starting to shownearlydone5.jpg

nearlydone6.jpgnearlydone7.jpg

After 2 coats of Eze-kote.......

nearlydone9.jpg

nearlydone10.jpgnearlydone8.jpg
I
'm more than pleased to say that Phil is happy with the Texan's progress and even more excited to know that I'll be handing it over to him by the end of next week.
Regards

Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 07/11/2014 19:42:42

Doesn't it look fantastic? The Ezekote certainly makes a difference to the toughness of the Depron, even without using fibre glass mat. Did you check the weight before and after to see the difference it made, that is of interest to me at present?

Also I want to have a look at PolyC, following Monz's comments about it. We seem to have quite a lot of choice in the materials we can use now, plenty of room to experiment. There's the Deluxe Materials stuff as well, their glue seems to me to be as good as Uhu Por.

Some really lovely comments from you guys - thank you all!
Colin, sadly, I haven't made any weight comparisons so am unable to answer your question. All I know is that weight-gain is minimal and has no adverse effects on models of this size and weight thankfully. Eze-kote, PolyC? I personally haven't had any dealings with PolyC so can only go by Monz's findings. Eze-Kote does the trick for me but that's not to say it's a better product. Again, having only used Uhu-Por for my foam-safe contact adhesive, I can't really comment on Deluxe Material's adhesives. I will look into that though because I'm able to get hold of Eze-Kote which is by Delux Materials and so, will check out their prices.

Ross, cheers! I'm pretty sure that there will be more than one video camera present at the maiden so hopefully, fingers crossed, a video will be forthcoming in the near future.

Looking into the possibility of ordering a canopy from a Brian Taylor designed Texan which is close to the size of canopy that this model requires. Find out more on Monday.

Bearing in mind that it's getting close to completion and the canopy is one of the next important jobs, i decided to spend an hour on the roll cage within the cockpit.saturday.jpg Made from 4mm light wooden dowel with a balsa top piece, was given a coat of matt black acrylic before being glued into place. saturday1.jpg
I Usually like to introduce a bit of humour into a build in one way or another. On the Spit' it was the Haynes workshop manual for the Spitfire on the rear shelf of the cockpit.
Quite often, you'll hear Phil say that digging deep behind sofa, he's able to produce the odd bit of cash here and there and his sofa is the main source of finance for his models. How could I resist?....
saturday2.jpg Regards
Roy

Tony,......I don't think so!!
Colin, Yes, I agree, it really does suit the model.

Canopy Update......

Received the canopy this week and so I set-to measuring and fitting. The 2 piece cockpit has an overlapping section in the middle which allows you to trim it's length before joining the two halves together. Once Happy I had worked out the correct length, took a deep breath and cut the excess clear plastic away. Joining the two halves with Uhu Por, I left the assembled canopy to cure overnight.

With the trusty IPad open at a relevant photo, I masked out the canopy with 'Frog' tape before painting in the lines with light grey acrylic paint. canopysec.jpgThe Frog tape really does stop 'bleeding' of the paint and on removing it, was left with really crisp lines which brought the canopy to life.
The rear section of the cockpit flares up toward the canopy on the actual aircraft but I have been unable to build this part until I knew what I was doing about the canopy. Now that I had the canopy, I was able to make a start on building this area up with the soft grey 3mm depron.canopyfirst.jpg
I glued a slip of white 6mm depron all the way around the cockpit area to give me a greater surface to which to apply adhesive to. I gave the white depron a coat of Black acrylic and allowed to dry before I applied the Uhu Por.

After the canopy was glued into place and I found that a small section towards the rear of the cockpit would not sit evenly around the canopy area of the fuselage and so resolved this by adding a further fairing of 3mm grey depron over the back end of the canopy (onto the curved rear section of the clear plastic)
Not perfect by anyone's standards but passable and frankly, the best I could do.canopy.jpgcanopy1.jpg
Here you can see where I have added the 3mm depron onto the plastic canopy at the rear of the cockpit area.

canopy2.jpg
Well, that's almost it!
I'll be leaving one or three jobs for Phil to finish off and I'm sure he'll enjoy that! Flat sections need grinding into the retract legs, Aileron servo holders have to be screwed in place, elevator linkage needs connecting at the control surface end. Then, he will need to set his radio up etc, etc and sort out his CG. I haven't secured the front cowl in place until the CG has been agreed just in case further ballast is required at the front end. We can hide quite a few sticky weights in there if we need to. Recent CG tests indicate that the model shouldn't need much in the way of additional nose weight but until every last job is completed on the model, it's pretty pointless trying to work the CG out accurately.

The canopy looks awesome yes

The dummy radial arrived today, I have an awful feeling it might be just too big but hopefully can be made to fit.

Cannot wait to come and prise it away on Saturday.

I will be eternally grateful for all your hard work as I know I have neither the ability or patience to create such a marvelous aircraft from a simple 3 view the way you and a select few on this forum continually do.

teeth 2